Sound of Play: 36

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 36

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were: Leon Cox (@ratsoalbion) and Patrick Smith (@PaddyStardust)

with community contributions from Donk, macstat, Acrobuster and Kevin C5280.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Theme of Grandia by Noriyuki Iwadare - Grandia, 1997
Track 2: Sepperin Stage Boss Battle by AM3 - RosenKreuzStilette, 2009
Track 3: Netherworld by Kenji Kawai - Folklore, 2007
Track 4: LBA2 Theme by Philippe Vachey - Little Big Adventure 2, 1997
Track 5: Thames River by Yoko Wada, Takashi Horiguchi - Master Of Darkness, 1992
Track 6: Let the Winds Blow by Kenichi Tokoi (vocal by Krzysztof Przygodzki) - Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D Revolution, 2003
Track 7: Ozar Midrashim by Kurt Harland - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, 1999
Track 8: Op by Kota Hoshino - Armored Core 2, 2000
Track 9: Katamari On The Rock by Yuu Miyake (vocal by Masayuki Tanaka) - Katamari Damacy, 2004

Sound of Play: 36 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Scrustle

Re: Sound of Play: 36

Post by Scrustle »

Another great episode guys. Lots of fantastic songs.

The Grandia track I have to say reminded me of the kind of music you hear in animated or kids fantasy films from the '80s or early '90s. If you took that particular song, and changed the brass to strings, I bet it wouldn't sound out of place in something like The Neverending Story for example. Either way, sounds very cool. I wish we heard more music like that nowadays.

I was happy to see Folklore come up too. I've been thinking about that game quite a lot for a while now. Never had a chance to play it, but always wanted to. But I've looked at listings for it many a time, and you actually can get it for fairly cheap. Seems to float around £15 for a second hand copy most of the time. In fact, mere minutes after listening to the track on the episode I went and bought a copy for exactly that, so now I can finally get my hands on it.

I really liked the Soul Reaver track too. Much like with the Grandia track, it's a really cool style that you just don't hear much now. It's a shame. Artists don't seem to like being as adventurous with synthesisers like they were back then. It's really cool song too. Love the mood. I've only dabbled in the Legacy of Kain games myself, but one thing that certainly stands up really well is their mood. The mechanics, not so much, but they nail their tone so well. I guess it is somewhat dated, but I don't think that means it's not extremely cool any more. I would really love if they could bring back that series with a similar feel, but with more modernised and well polished mechanics.

The Phantasy Star track and the one from the doujin game were really cool too. The PS one in particular was incredibly rousing. Blew me away. Surprising it came from what you guys seemed to describe as a card game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Kenji Kawai worked on Folklore?

THE Kenji Kawai?

I did not know that.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

Excellent episode as always guys :) I especially liked the selection from Folklore. I picked that game up not too long ago and I think it has a really nice soundtrack. Also that track from Grandia inspired me to pick up the game again because I never finished it haha

P.S. I completely agree with what Patrick said about the sixaxis in Folklore. It's the only PS3 game in which I actually liked using the motion controls. There was something satisfying about capturing monsters by flicking the controller up.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

That was fun. Loved hearing some Master System vintage sounds. Remember that game...

Also good to hear Soul Reaver. Requested that myself many moons ago...