Sound of Play: 39

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 39

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were: Leon Cox (@ratsoalbion) and Chris Spann (@cs87) of The Recycle Bin and Being Very Sad

with community contributions from Owen Grogan, MagicianArcana, mikeleddy83, and skidoosh

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: UN Owen Was Her (Flandre’s Theme) by Shanhai Arisu Gengakudan - Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, 2002
Track 2: Hakutai Forest (Eterna Forest) by Hitomi Sato - Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, 2006
Track 3: Resurrection by COIL/Tomohiro Harada - Gitaroo Man, 2001
Track 4: Intro by Jeff van Dyck - FIFA International Soccer, 1994
Track 5: Main Theme by Jukio "Kozilek" Kallio - Luftrausers, 2014
Track 6: Return by Hitoshi Sakimoto - Radiant Silvergun, 1998
Track 7: You Like by Gareth Noyce - TxK, 2014
Track 8: Gehrman, The First Hunter by Tsukasa Saitoh - Bloodborne, 2015
Track 9: Fly Me to the Moon by Bart Howard (composer), Helena Noguerra (vocal) - Bayonetta, 2009

Sound of Play: 39 was edited by Jay Taylor (@JaySevenZero)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Scrustle

Re: Sound of Play: 39

Post by Scrustle »

That opening track certainly was a surprise. I have actually heard it before myself, from that same Japanese McDonalds advert remix thing. Cool to find out the source, and it's not that surprising it would be from a bullet hell shooter. I think the best way to describe that track would be "delirious". Fun stuff.

I liked the Gitaroo Man track as well. Really reminded me of the FLCL soundtrack, done by The Pillows. This track in particular:

Ever since Amazon JP started doing global exports I've been thinking of importing all three volumes of the FLCL soundtrack. It's really good stuff.
RCheeze

Post by RCheeze »

That Luftrausers song was awesome. I've been repeatedly listening to it all week, after hearing it on this Podcast. I plan on picking up this game at some point soon.
mikeleddy83

Re: RE: Re: Sound of Play: 39

Post by mikeleddy83 »

RCheeze wrote:That Luftrausers song was awesome. I've been repeatedly listening to it all week, after hearing it on this Podcast. I plan on picking up this game at some point soon.
Best thing is that you'll probably find a variation you like even more once you get the game.

I bought it so I'm not sure but I have a feeling it was on ps plus in the not distant past too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It was indeed on that PS+.
GoodShrewsbury

Post by GoodShrewsbury »

I know this is an old episode, but I'm relatively new to the show and I noticed something while listening today. In this episode, Leon and Chris Spann are talking about the influences they hear in Track 6: Resurrection from Gitaroo Man. The first ten seconds remind me heavily of Just by Radiohead, who one of you gentlemen mentioned, but once the drums kick in it is unmistakably The Garden by Guns and Roses. Check it out, 1:25 into The Garden. The GnR song was 10 years prior, so perhaps this was an homage. See what you think. That is, if you bother coming back to ludicrously old posts. Thanks.