Sound of Play: 45

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 45

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were: Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins) and special guest Ryan Quintal (@ryanquintal) from the Pixels Weekly Podcast (@pixelscast)

with community contributions from ToQi, macstat, and Flabyo.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: The Land in Which You Begin by Revo - Bravely Default, 2012
Track 2: Storm Eagle by Setsuo Yamamoto, Makoto Tomozawa, Yuki Iwai, Yuko Takehara, and/or Toshihiko Horiyama - Mega Man X, 1993
Track 3: Winter (Ancient) by Eric Barone - Stardew Valley, 2016
Track 4: Shipwrecked by Tommy Tallarico - Treasures of the Deep, 1997
Track 5: Attack on Dollet (Unreleased Demo Version) by Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VIII, 1999
Track 6: Baba Yetu by Christopher Tin - Civilization IV, 2005
Track 7: Seiankyou Commoners' Quarter by Masami Ueda, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Rei Kondoh, and/or Akari Groves - Okami, 2006
Track 8: The Library by Masami Ueda, Shusaki Uchiyama, and/or Syun Nishigaki - Resident Evil 2, 1998
Track 9: Gotham by Night (Happy Birthday to Me) by Jesper Kyd - The Adventures of Batman & Robin, 1995

Sound of Play: 45 was edited by Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 45

Post by Flabyo »

Trivia followups!

The lyrics to Baba Yetu are the Lord's Prayer in Swahili, you can find them over on wikipedia. It's a staple of the touring Video Games Live show, they have two different arrangements of it they use depending on whether they have one or two solo choristers available. It's amazing heard live, it really is.

On the FF8 piece, the game replaces the tune from the demo with this one:
Spoiler: show
Good Shot Janson

Post by Good Shot Janson »

You guys know that Treasures song was already played, right? Like four episodes ago. Where are the original SoP guys?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

This was a slight admin error in our part!

Ryan Q. requested the song and unbeknownst to me was also recording a guest slot with Ryan. We'll be more careful in future.

Although one repeated track in 45 podcasts doesn't seem so bad to me, it's just how closely together the two instances came.

Ryan and I will be taking turns, that's how we've managed to make Sound of Play a weekly show.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Ah, mm. My bad. We have a few steps in place to make sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen, but it snuck through the cracks for a couple of reasons: 1) SoP 45 was recorded pretty far in advance, and 2) The song was under two different titles in the various sources linked to us. This is why it didn't grab my attention when I was reviewing our long list. I had assumed that different titles = different songs.

Sorry about that.

Also, not quite sure how to address the second question. If I read it as "where are the original Sounds of Play, guys?", referencing repeated songs, apologies. It's not our intention to turn this into a Top 40 show of repeated tracks :P If I'm reading it as "where are the original guys from Sound of Play?", I don't really know how to approach that. I have been on Sound of Play from the first episode, and we've long featured a rotating cast of guests, but if you prefer more "core team only" shows, we still do those as well.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I listen to every show and I 100% didn't catch that there was a repeat. It is the world's smallest and most understandable error. Also, that repeated song was a good song. Lastly, having Sound of Play as a weekly show has been awesome.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

gallo_pinto wrote:I listen to every show and I 100% didn't catch that there was a repeat. It is the world's smallest and most understandable error. Also, that repeated song was a good song. Lastly, having Sound of Play as a weekly show has been awesome.
Yeah, at least we didn't accidentally repeat this one: