Sound of Play: 49

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 49

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were: Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins) and Mark Hamer (@Damocles693) from Lapsed Gamer Radio

with community contributions from Traktorion, Jesus_Phish, and macstat.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Defenestraight to My Heart by Ryan Ike - Gunpoint, 2013
Track 2: Chase through Montmatre by Olivier Derivière - Remember Me, 2013
Track 3: Donkey Kong Country by David Wise/Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 4: Stay in Your Tower and Watch by Chris Remo - Firewatch, 2016
Track 5: Juchu by DVA - Botanicula, 2014
Track 6: For River - Piano (Sarah & Tommy's Version) by Kan Gao - To the Moon, 2011
Track 7: Gusher Gauntlet by Toru Minegishi/Shiho Fuji - Splatoon, 2015
Track 8: Mocking the Voodoo Lady & Voodoo Jazz by Michael Land - The Curse of Monkey Island, 1997
Track 9: Cordes Discordes by Cosmic Analog Ensemble - Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers, 2012

Sound of Play: 49 was edited by Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
Scrustle

Re: Sound of Play: 49

Post by Scrustle »

Strange that it took this long for Remember Me to show up on the show. It might not be one of the most popular games out there, but the soundtrack really is something great and unique.

I was also really pleased to hear something from Tiny and Big show up. I wasn't expecting that. Very odd and charming little game, with a great soundtrack that fits it really well. Kind of like the Braid soundtrack, in that even though its licensed, it sounds like it was written for the game. I've certainly never heard of any of the music outside the game either. As for the game itself, do people actually know about it? I've played it myself, after stumbling across it in a Steam sale at some point (with maybe seeing one video at some point before and forgetting about it), but I've never heard anyone else talk about it. Always thought it was really obscure. Is there secretly a sleeper fanbase for it or something? I'd say it's worth it. Not the most polished game, but a fun little curio that deserves some attention.

The Botanicula track was pretty cool too. It reminds me of something you might hear from Locust Toybox.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 49

Post by Flabyo »

Scrustle wrote:Strange that it took this long for Remember Me to show up on the show. It might not be one of the most popular games out there, but the soundtrack really is something great and unique.
I requested the title theme when I guested on episode 35...

But yeah, it's a great soundtrack :)