Sound of Play: 52

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 52

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were: Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins) and CJ Black (@CoffeeJezus) from Twin Humanities, Twin Destinies, and Oh the Humanities

with community contributions from Craig, Follow My Ruin, and Flabyo.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Metal Crusher by toby fox - Undertale, 2015
Track 2: Boku wa Kodomo (I Am a Child) by Hideki Sakamoto and Manami Kiyota - Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale, 2013
Track 3: Fortress by Kazuhiko Uehara, Tomoya Tomita, and Nobuyuki Akena - Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shougun Magginesu, 1993
Track 4: Hikari by Rei Saito and Aoi Teshima - Fragile Dreams: Farewell, Ruins of the Moon, 2009
Track 5: Castle in the Mist by Michiru Oshima, Koichi Yamazaki, and Mitsukuni Murayama - Ico, 2001
Track 6: Ireland by Barrington Pheloung - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, 1996
Track 7: Lovely City by Calum Bowen - Lovely Planet, 2014
Track 8: Victory Theme by Derek Duke and Neal Acree - Overwatch, 2016
Track 9: Lost Odyssey Suite by Nobuo Uematsu - Lost Odyssey, 2007

Sound of Play: 52 was edited by Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
MagicianArcana

Re: Sound of Play: 52

Post by MagicianArcana »

Loved this week's episode! I was particularly excited to see a track from Fragile Dreams on the list. For a while I was considering requesting a track from that game but I couldn't settle on one. But the one CJ Black chose is definitely a good one. For me it might be the most memorable track in the game.

I generally feel the same way about the game as CJ. It's one that made a lasting impression on me and was one heck of a tear jerker. I also like that he requested the opening dialogue from the game be played right before the track. I felt that bit of dialogue was important because of how it accurately set the dark and depressing tone of the game. I haven't talked to too many other people who have played this game, and I'd probably put it somewhere on my list of all time favorites. So it's nice to hear it talked about. :)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Just want to say that I was wandering through my cicada-ridden neighbourhood listening to this and didn't realise the cicadas in the background at the start of one of the tracks was actually coming from my headphones until I paused it.

Fun episode!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Oh, did not realise that you could get orchestral versions of game tunes onto this show. The WDR do truly mesmerising, beautiful stuff and the Lost Odyssey suite is no exception. I appreciate that they don't do a straight orchestral version of game music, they truly experiment and can do arrangements that really capture the spirit of the game and make it their own thing. I absolutely recommend their Final Symphony Concert, which is based off Final Fantasy VI, VII and X. Absolutely beautiful tunes that put a chill through your spine.