Sound of Play: 60

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 60

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

In this special 60th edition of Sound of Play, we bring 26 wonderful tracks from Rare’s Donkey Kong Country series. Following the work of the masterful David Wise and the various other composers that have followed in his footsteps, we roll our way through over 20 years of video game music to present a selection of Donkey Kong Country classics. The list can hardly be comprehensive, but we tried to select a mixture of fan favorites and relative unknowns.

This show’s presenters are Ryan Hamann and Darren Gargette.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Title Screen by Yukio Kaneoka - Donkey Kong, 1981
Track 2: Level 1 & 3 ~ Medley by Ryo Nagamatsu - Nintendo Land, 2012
Track 3: Opening Fanfare/Theme by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 4: Simian Segue by Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 5: DK Island Swing by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 6: Cave Dweller Concert by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 7: Life in the Mines by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 8: Aquatic Ambiance by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 9: Bonus Room Blitz by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country, 1994
Track 10: Gangplank Galleon Ahoy! by David Wise - Donkey Kong Land, 1995
Track 11: K. Rool Returns by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 12: Welcome to Crocodile Isle by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 13: Jib Jig by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 14: Lockjaw's Saga by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 15: Mining Melancholy by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 16: Haunted Chase by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 17: Disco Train by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 18: Stickerbrush Symphony by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 19: Forest Interlude by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, 1995
Track 20: Treetop Tumble by Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, 1996
Track 21: Water World by Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, 1996
Track 22: Big Boss Blues by Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, 1996
Track 23: Game Over by Eveline Fischer - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, 1996
Track 24: Stilt Village by David Wise - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (Game Boy Advance), 2005
Track 25: Jungle Hijinx by Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano, Masaru Tajima, Shinji Ushiroda, & Daisuke Matsuoka - Donkey Kong Country Returns, 2010
Track 26: Busted Bayou by David Wise & Kenji Yamamoto, 2014

Sound of Play: 60 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead
Jobobonobo

Re: Sound of Play: 60

Post by Jobobonobo »

Really enjoyed this episode. One of my requests for SOP was going to be a DKC tune but thought I would wait until this episode just in case I was going to be suggesting the same tune as one chosen by Ryan and Darren. However, this series has so much great music that the song I wanted to request was not there. Which is great for me, as I am going to request it for a later episode now!
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Excellent show! Certainly makes work more enjoyable.

Now, there are two music-centric podcasts that I listen to, Sound of Play and NPR's All Songs Considered. Occasionally with either show a song will come along that makes me pause the podcast because it reminds me of another song, and I just have to go listen to that.

Usually that's all there is to it. One song could lead to another, and it may divert me further from the podcast. And there are times that I can't quite place what song the podcast reminds me of, but I don't get caught up on it. The podcast plays on and I keep going about my business.

But last night was different. Last night it took me over a half hour before I even heard Darren's voice.

Let's start with the start of the show, shall we? The first 15 or so seconds are the familiar DKC intro. It then fades out, replaced by a retro sound. I remembered from somewhere (probably a previous Sound of Play) that the DKC intro is a remix of the Donkey Kong arcade music, so there's that explained. Still all good.

Then a very non-retro sounding instrument comes in on the up beat of the 29th second. A marimba perhaps? The lick that it plays catches my ear, but it's probably nothing. We're now approaching the 40 second mark. At zero minutes 53 seconds the marimba or marimba-like instrument now takes a back seat to a woodwind. Flute?

And there's that lick again. I can't place it. But I know I've heard it somewhere. At a minute and 5 seconds, Ryan comes in, with the song still playing in the background. Normally this might be where I would pay attention to the host, forget that sound. But around 1:21 and 1:41 it starts up again.

I have to figure it out.

So. From the top.
I start the show over and give it another listen to that point. I have a hunch at this point, but that is all it is.

The music digs itself deeper into my head. Finally I come up with something, though perhaps I was just so desperate for anything at this point.

The Aquabats.
You may recognize the name from their music or kids television show. I know them primarily for the former.

This was the first song I checked. You don't need to listen to it if you don't want to, as it isn't the correct song. None of the next few will be. (Though if you are in the market for some lighthearted ska, you can't go wrong with The Aquabats)

I then went through my favorite Aquabats songs, in the following order:

With each new fun-filled song I grew increasingly happy, but also disappointed as I was only going further away from catching the elusive tune.
After every 2nd or 3rd song I would go back to the podcast and try to piece the mystery together. I knew I was on the right track with ska.

I should note that all of this was extremely unproductive. Those carpets won't vacuum themselves after all.

After the final notes of The Aquabat's lovely singer, MC Bat Commander, rang out through my headphones I went back to the podcast. Again and again I would skip back 15 or 30 seconds. Then the 2nd hunch struck, only this time it was something more.

A song by my favorite band, Streetlight Manifesto. (technically the song is originally by Catch-22, but its the same singer and I listened to the Streetlight version first so whatever...)

I thought I had it. Its a long song, just over 5 minutes. I finished it, confident that the case was closed. Again to the podcast. Again I skipped back, just as Ryan was introducing Darren.
I knew that the tune in the podcast and the one in my head weren't exactly the same. The one in my head diverged slightly at the end. But even when I accounted for that it wasn't quite there. I was putting the words of Kristina into the tune in my head, and it wasn't quite right. But I was even closer, we wouldn't have to jump bands again (sort of).

After confirming my doubts by listening to a portion of Kristina again, I returned once more to the podcast, trying to fit in words in my head over the words that Ryan was saying. Darn you Ryan.

Then finally I had it. I f%$#ing had it!

It's a cover of a jazz song by Louis Jordan (knew it was a cover, but didn't know who the original artist was till now).

Somewhere in that there song is a piece of Donkey Kong music. I don't care what anyone else says.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Haha. What a wild story. Fun to have that type of musical resonance.