Sound of Play: 62

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 62

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were Ryan Hamann and James Carter,

along with community contributions from Follow My Ruin, @AngryZeusGaming, and thegreenflea

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Sucker Punch by Toru Minegishi & Shiho Fuji - Splatoon, 2015
Track 2: Embrace What You Have Become by Michael McCann - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, 2016
Track 3: Renaissance Hop (Record Scratching Tune) by Kenneth Young - Tearaway Unfolded, 2013
Track 4: Perilous Poisons by (possibly) Yasumasa Yamada, Jun Isikawa, & Hirokazu Ando - Picross 3D Round 2, 2015
Track 5: Monolith by 65daysofstatic - No Man's Sky, 2016
Track 6: Title Theme by Tim Follin - Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, 1994
Track 7: To Know, Water by Austin Wintory - ABZÛ, 2016
Track 8: Submerged in Ambiance by The Distortionist (OverClocked Remix) - Donkey Kong Country, 2013
Track 9: Eternity (Boss Battle Theme) by Nobuo Uematsu - Blue Dragon, 2006

Sound of Play: 62 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead
Tleprie

Re: Sound of Play: 62

Post by Tleprie »

A few recommendations for Ryan and anyone else interested in the discussion of post-rock and stuff:

Explosions in the Sky are arguably one of the most popular post-rock bands (I actually have no idea if this is true, but I feel like it is, and on the internet that is more than enough reason to say something), so I doubt anyone already interested in the genre will be unaware of them.
For anyone just getting into post-rock, the song I linked is probably one of my favorites. While I could go more into why that is, I think its better to just go into it blind. (Good headphones highly recommended)

Followed by Ghosts is fairly similar to Explosions, though what I've listened to of theirs isn't quite as heavy.

Now this is moving away from the post-rock, but more into Coheed & Cambria territory. I haven't listened to too much Coheed, but I know mewithoutYou has toured with them before, so there is at least some connection.
mewithoutYou is tied for the top spot of my favorite bands, so its hard to just recommend any one song or album, as each album is fairly unique. The song that I linked is from their latest, and in my opinion greatest, release. It has a nice mix of their early heavy sound, along with the more recent softer vocals.
After Pale Horses, I'd recommend Catch for us the Foxes, though I have a lot of personal connections with that album so it may not be for everyone. Generally speaking, if you like the song above, give the first few tracks of each album a go.

I saw Foxing along with mewithoutYou last year. Their lyrics are a bit more on the emo/alternative side of things, but their overall sound goes back to post-rock a bit more. I haven't listened to them as much I would like to to be recommending them, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Moving further away from post-rock, I wanted to put the first track of Sabrepulse's Terra & Titan. Its a fairly ambient album, but is very space themed, and I imagine might go well with the calmer moments of something like No Man's Sky. (again, good headphones make this one much better)
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Tleprie wrote: Explosions in the Sky are arguably one of the most popular post-rock bands (I actually have no idea if this is true, but I feel like it is, and on the internet that is more than enough reason to say something), so I doubt anyone already interested in the genre will be unaware of them.
They did a lot of the music for Friday Night Lights (the TV show). They're really good. I'm not a very musical person, but I really enjoyed their stuff.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Very cool, Spencer. I appreciate it.

When I was searching out post-rock and post-metal bands, this is my favorite that I ran across. The short-lived Battle of Mice:

That solo at 4:24 is maybe my favorite solo in any song.

Also, Agalloch:

and Russian Circles: