Sound of Play: 84

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 84

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenters were Ryan Hamann and Neil Piper

along with community contributions from Scrustle, BlueWeaselBreath, and MagicianArcana.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Mirror Room by Hiroyuki Masuno - Shadowgate, 1989
Track 2: Applied Dynamics by Hugh Myrone - Drift Stage, 2017
Track 3: Frantic Factory by Grant Kirkhope - Donkey Kong 64, 1999
Track 4: Imperial Battle Music by Paul Ruskay - Homeworld: Remastered, 1999
Track 5: Main Theme by George Sanger - Loom, 1990
Track 6: Theme of D4 by Tomomi Teratani - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, 2014
Track 7: Team Select by Jon Hey - NBA Jam, 1993
Track 8: Dark Flute by Jim Guthrie - Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, 2011
Track 9: Ink Me Up/Now or Never! by Toru Minegishi & Shiho Fuji - Splatoon, 2015.

Sound of Play: 84 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
MagicianArcana

Re: Sound of Play: 84

Post by MagicianArcana »

Thanks for including my request from NBA Jam! I must admit, every time I hear that song I feel a little like clapping along to the beat. Of course I couldn't really do that while listening to this at the office with my headphones on :lol:
Ryan had said he was interested to hear the gameplay music, but what I find interesting is that the gameplay music isn't quite as upbeat as the team select music. It almost contrasts with the intense game of basketball being played on the screen.

Also I hadn't heard of Drift Stage before, but after listening to that track I feel it would be right up my alley. I'm gonna have to check it out now.