Sound of Play: 89

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 89

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the latest episode of our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

For many of us, it’s hard to think of almost any videogame without our minds conjuring up the music that accompanied it. What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years. Of course it’s not just about what we like, so if you venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com you can put forward your favourites and we’ll start to include a selection in the playlist for each show.

This show’s presenter was Leon Cox with special guest, composer for TV, film and games, Michael A. Levine Find out more about Michael and his many, varied projects over at http://michaellevinemusic.com/

Track listing for this show is as follows:

Track 1: Go Tell Aunt Rhody by Michael A. Levine, vocal by Jordan Reyne - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017
Track 2: Kill Or Be Killed by Akiyuki Morimoto - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017
Track 3: Saferoom by Miwako Chinone - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017
Track 4: Pray by Kota Suzuki, translated by Miguel Corti, vocal by Oulimata Niang - Resident Evil 5, 2009
Track 5: Main Theme by Wataru Hachisako/Akihiko Narita/Yasuyuki Tsujino/Azusa Kato/Kota Suzuki/Akiyuki Morimoto - Resident Evil 6, 2012
Track 6: VR Tutorial by Akiyuki Morimoto - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017
Track 7: Nemesis Theme by Masami Ueda/Saori Maeda - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, 1999
Track 8: Sacrifice by The Sewer Gatorz by Satoshi Hori - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017
Track 9: Go Tell Aunt Rhody - Unreleased Extended Version by Michael A. Levine, vocal by Mariana Barreto - RESIDENT EVIL VII: biohazard, 2017

Sound of Play: 89 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using iTUNES or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Sound of Play: 89

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's the Assassin's Creed Unity trailer that Michael mentions in the podcast which uses his version of Tears for Fears 'Everybody wants to rule the world' sung by Lorde

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ah, nice!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Very interesting show!

It led me to fell into a bit of a rabbit hole over the first track though.

Seems that there's rather a lot more to the track.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/c ... hody_song/

Off the back of the track at the end of the show, it makes me wonder if there's even more goodies hidden away...
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

What a pleasure to have a composer fetch and demo the instrument during recording! When practical, I would encourage more of that if the artists are able and the equipment will catch the sound properly.

I really enjoyed Michael A. Levine's sincere enthusiasm and generosity sharing his experiences.

Discussion of safe room music led me to seek out the mentioned article, and I'm so in love with RE:4's "Serenity" I never pass even the hint of an opportunity for a "hear hear."

I relished this episode; even rewound for another listen or two of "Go tell Aunt Rhody."
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thank you, Michael was a wonderful guest.

I'm not sure it's going to be practical to ask composers to hook up their kit and play 'as live' for us, but I agree it would be great if we could work it out somehow.
Bloody Initiate

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I don't think it would be practical often, but I think if the opportunity is there then there would be no harm in suggesting/requesting it.

I'm not sure if this will be listen-able in Britain, I'm not sure how servers and such can conflict. Around the 1:50-3:00 minute time is the example I remembered of an interviewer gently tugging a bit of a performance out. Admittedly this was an interview with a vocalist though, who would obviously have his instrument at the ready.

Michael Levine clearly thought of it himself, but I would not be surprised if several of the artists that SoP has interviewed had the capacity in the moment to pull out a guitar or "floppy base" (although in the case of the mention of floppy base, it was immediately followed by a track which featured it).

I also remember in SoP 5 featuring a Tim Follin track (Chronos Theme) where you first described the limitations of the system's chip and even attempted to imitate one of its few sounds. That resulted in a much greater appreciation of his accomplishment - at least from me - because I had no idea about the limitations of those chips at the time (I've learned a lot more from SoP).

I would never suggest the interviews become a hassle for the guests, because their convenience and comfort seems paramount for the interviewer. I was just delighted that one of them thought "I'll just get the instrument" and also realized how often that might be possible. Hearing what the instrument can do - and then hearing what they did with it in their tracks - enriches my own experience a lot. I hope others benefit similarly.