Sound of Play: 177

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 177

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

In this Sound of Play Leon Cox is joined by Michiel Kroder, along with community contributions from Mauricio MM, Mononoke, MrGreenToS and duskvstweak

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1: Main Theme by Mark Cooksey – Ghosts ‘n Goblins, 1986

2: Fanfares and Flowers by Mikolai Stroinski – The Witcher III: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine, 2016

3: Fake by Zuntata – Darius Gaiden, 1995

4: One They Fear by Jeremy Soule – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, 2011

5: Ride the Tiger (Akira’s Theme) by Akiko Hashimoto/Takenobu Mitsuyoshi/Takayuki Nakamura – Virtua Fighter 2, 1995

6: Main Theme by Matúš Široký/Adam Kuruc – Mafia II, 2010

7: Swamp Stage by Tetsuya Shibata/Mitsuhiko Takano – Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, 2000

8: Sunder the Night by Michiru Yamane – Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, 2018

9: Hateno Village (Day) by Manaka Kataoka/Yasuaki Iwata – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 2017

Sound of Play: 177 was edited by Jay Taylor

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to the thread at the top of this forum and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
KSubzero1000

Re: Sound of Play: 177

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Let's see...

Unplayable platforming relic - check.
Ancient YOKO shmup - check.
Unapproachable 3D fighter - check.
Overbearing 2D spritefest - check.
Zelda - check.

Yep, that's a Michiel-y tracklist all right. 8-)

Great episode, gentlemen. How's that cold coming along?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

On the way out, thanks for asking Camille.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I swear me and Michiel have identical taste in SHMUPs. It's getting creepy now. Like. Not only does he pick the best track in Darius Gaiden, but he has the exact same image association I do - Electric Fan dropping from the sky and bouncing around with this loud synth, BAUM BAUM BAUMBAUMBAUMBAUMBAUM BAUM BAUM BAUMBAUMBAUMBAUM.

Something about Fake just really gets under my skin. In a good way. The vocal samples remind me of the operatic chanting in the intro stage of Einhander, but something about the emotional vibe from this track is all at once upbeat, danceable and ethereal. Like you can see the roots in 80s New Wave, but it *feels* like it's music from a distant future - it doesn't sound quite like anything else.