Sound of Play: 185

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 185

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome to our weekly podcast dedicated to videogame music – Sound of Play

In this Sound of Play Leon Cox is joined by the multi-talented artist and musician Niklas Åkerblad aka @ElHuervo

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of some of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

Track listing for this show is as follows:

1. The Setup by El Huervo – Steamworld Dig 2, 2017

2. Main Theme by Ben Houge – Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, 2001

3. Lovers by El Huervo – Kometen, 2010

4. Flight by Yoshitaka Azuma – Panzer Dragoon, 1995

5. Rebel by El Huervo, 2015

6. Killing Time by Akira Yamaoka – Silent Hill, 1999

7. VanDereer by El Huervo, 2016

8. Hydrocity Zone Act 2 by Brad Buxer/Bobby Brooks/Darryl Ross/Geoff Grace/Doug Grigsby III/Scirocco/Michael Jackson – Sonic the Hedgehog 3, 1994

9. Trust by El Huervo – Else Heart.Break(), 2012

10. The Village of Inoa by Kohei Tanaka/Kevin McClintock – Alundra, 1997

Sound of Play: 185 was edited by Jay Taylor

Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to the thread at the top of this forum and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
Bloody Initiate

Re: Sound of Play: 185

Post by Bloody Initiate »

I got so much out of this episode! Literally!

I really enjoyed Niklas Åkerblad as a guest. I kind of wanted to clip some of the things he said because some of them really grab closely at useful truths. He was open, insightful, and it turns out he makes a lot of music I really like.

I keep a note on my phone which is a running list of “songs I may like” and it is just that: a list of songs I hear that I like. Rather than run to download them all (that would be insane when you see the size of the list).

I actively look for new music constantly. I pay for satellite radio, I listen to Sound of Play, I let Pandora take me wherever. I even listen to Pandora stations for artists or songs that I only kind of like specifically to push against my own genre boundaries.

I enjoy sound of Play, and I probably get a new song out of it every 2-3 episodes. For this episode I’ve noted several tracks and have actually already downloaded 3, so clearly El Huervo makes music I enjoy and I’ll have to keep an ear on him going forward.

I also very much enjoyed both of your devotion to the audio medium, doing your best to make sounds or music to give the listener reference points. I’m sure it makes one a bit self-conscious when recording or on Skype but it has consistently been one of my favorite things in the show. It’s especially helpful when talking about sound chips and their limitations.

Even if I was alive for the music of Sega Genesis and such, it doesn’t mean I understood what it took to get decent music out of those machines. My favorite example in Sound of Play of you illustrating for the listener how hard some of those pieces of music were to make was in SoP 5. You guys discussed the noises you could could get out of a Spectrum chip and then played Tim Follin’s Chronos theme.

There was the same spirit of presentation in this Sound of Play with Niklas and it helped me appreciate what was being discussed even more. For me Sound of Play is at its best when it’s informing the listener as well as playing some good music. It’s great when the music can speak for itself, but I personally benefit from some translation every now and then.

Anyway, great show. Thanks!