Sound of Play: 204

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 204

Post by JaySevenZero »

This week, Sound of Play brings you a musical collage — a constellation of audio memories from the year 2015. Rediscover favourites from 2015 or encounter tunes for the first time. This mix contains excerpts from 157 of the year’s games.

We challenge you to test your knowledge of videogame music by trying to identify all of the games included within, and you can collaborate with members of our community by sharing your knowledge in this here forum thread. Soon, a video revealing the identity of each game included will be posted on the Cane and Rinse YouTube channel.

Sound of Play 204 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 204

Post by Flabyo »

2015 was apparently the year of the Spanish Guitar.

I think I did better with this one than I have some of the others...
Spoiler: show
Definites:

Fallout 4
Splatoon
Everbody’s Gone to the Rapture
The Witcher 3
Super Hexagon
Assault Android Cactus
Halo 5
The Beginner’s Guide
Life is Strange
Rare Replay (what you did there, I see it)
That Victorian era Phoenix Wright spin-off game that won’t ever come out here cause the Sherlock Holmes estate won’t let it.
Mortal Kombat X
Blood borne
Tales from the Borderlands
Arkham Knight
very Doom
MGS5: The Phantom Pain
Pokken (I refuse to call it Pokemon Tournament)
Mad Max
Bro Force
Steamworld Heist
Hand of Fate
Rock band 4
Starcraft 2 (most likely one of the expansion campaigns, no idea which though)
Portal 2

Maybes:

One of those jazz pieces has to be Skullgirls...
Was there an animal crossing game that year?
Can’t be bothered working out which Mario game that is.
There’s a Phoenix Wright ‘guest appearance’ there, but Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the wrong year?
Is that Smash WiiU?
There was a Simon the Sorcerer game? I vaguely remember they churned out a new one of those at some point.
So, exactly how far back in time are we talking for the next one then? :)
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

That list is looking good! Just to make a few corrections -- not the correct year for Super Hexagon. There were, indeed, two Animal Crossing games in 2015. Phoenix Wright appeared in a great game in 2015, but it's not Marvel or Smash. No Simon the Sorcerer in this mix, but there is another similar retro-revival represented.

The next mix is the oldest yet -- mid 80s next time.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

The piece playing over your intro was from Yoshi's Woolly World, and I'm pretty sure there was another track from it in the mix. Also Ori and the Blind Forest (For real this time), the Mario track was most likely Mario Maker, and was that Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist? Talk about obscure....
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Always good to hear first aid kit but who is doing the cover of firestarer?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

InsrtCoins wrote: June 27th, 2019, 8:10 pm The next mix is the oldest yet -- mid 80s next time.
So me, Leon and Tony will probably get a few at least... hehe...
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

JadePhoenix wrote: June 27th, 2019, 8:33 pm The piece playing over your intro was from Yoshi's Woolly World, and I'm pretty sure there was another track from it in the mix. Also Ori and the Blind Forest (For real this time), the Mario track was most likely Mario Maker, and was that Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist? Talk about obscure....
Aye, I'm a big fan of Crows Crows Crows. I found that to be one of the most memorable games of the year.
The track playing under the intro doesn't count as being a part of the mix, hence the repetition, but I just wanted to open with some mood music and not just talking ;) Good recognition of that, though -- one of my favorite soundtracks of the year.

Mario Maker is definitely in there, but it is only one of four Mario games released that year :)
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Video time, courtesy of the generous and talented Jacob Geller!

Tracklist is in the description.