Sound of Play: 207 - Grant Kirkhope

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 207 - Grant Kirkhope

Post by JaySevenZero »

Hosts Ryan Hamann and Darren Gargette are joined by the legendary composer Grant Kirkhope, as he talks about his work with Rare and beyond! From the plucky Banjo to a sound that is Beyond Earth, Kirkhope brings a wide array of tracks to share with Sound of Play listeners as he tells stories about working in a converted chicken coop at Rare to being contacted by Nintendo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of some of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

Music used in this podcast:

1. Peach’s Castle by Grant Kirkhope – Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, 2017

2. Fungi Forest – Mushroom Stem / Mushroom Top by Grant Kirkhope – Donkey Kong 64, 1999

3. Skeletons by Grant Kirkhope – Grabbed by the Ghoulies, 2003

4. Sunrise Whisper by Grant Kirkhope – Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, 2008

5. Balor by Grant Kirkhope – Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, 2012

6. Fractal Aquilon by Grant Kirkhope – Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide, 2014

7. Core Hunting by Grant Kirkhope – Dropzone (2016), 2016

8. Spiral Mountain by Grant Kirkhope – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2019

Sound of Play 207 was edited by Ryan Hamann

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
Jobobonobo

Re: Sound of Play: 207

Post by Jobobonobo »

As soon as I seen this on the homepage, listened to it ASAP. This was a wonderful episode; Grant Kirkhope, what a get! The enthusiasm from Ryan and Darren was oozing through the speakers and Grant was chock a block with great stories from his past. Made me more appreciative of the sheer range of Grant's work (the Viva Pinata soundtrack is just sublime and his Beyond Earth work is really powerful stuff) and how ahead of the curve 360 era Rare was on a lot of things and how the company is continuously underestimated in comparison to their Nintendo days. This was really one of the strongest SoP episodes yet.
InsrtCoins

Re: Sound of Play: 207

Post by InsrtCoins »

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview! Darren and I were both really nervous going into it, but Grant turned out to be one of the most personable people I've ever met. Just instantly cuts through the tension and gets everyone laughing.