Sound of Play: 237

JaySevenZero
Admin

Sound of Play: 237

Post by JaySevenZero »

Joining Leon Cox for this week’s Sound of Play are the composer Nathan McCree (Tomb Raider) and Luke Earle (the other Sound of Play)

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of some of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

Music featured in this podcast:

Music featured in this podcast:

1. Tomb Raider Theme (Tomb Raider Suite) by Nathan McCree – Tomb Raider, 1996

2. Sound of Play soundscape extract by Luke Earle

3. T-Rex (Tomb Raider Suite) by Nathan McCree – Tomb Raider, 1996

4. Main Theme by Michael Giacchino – Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, 2002

5. Giratina Battle Music by Hitomi Sato/Satoshi Nohara/Junichi Masuda/Go Ichinose – Pokémon Platinum, 2008

6. Tears of Karan – Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber – Homeworld, 1999

7. Sogno di Volare (Main Theme) by Christopher Tin – Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, 2016

8. Going Up, Going Down/Beyond the Sea by Garry Schyman – BioShock, 2007

9. Venice (Tomb Raider Suite) by Nathan McCree – Tomb Raider II: Starring Lara Croft, 1997

Sound of Play 237 was edited by Jay Taylor

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or you can just simply download from here instead.
Stanshall

Re: Sound of Play: 237

Post by Stanshall »

Wow, quite a coup. The main TR theme is up there with anything in gaming for me, in terms of how it evokes a time and place. Me and my brothers huddled round the telly exploring those lonely spaces together. The T-Rex theme and moment is also something we still talk about to the day. Modern TR needs a big fat dose of the original music quality. Looking forward to this one.
Flabyo

Re: Sound of Play: 237

Post by Flabyo »

While I do love the original TR music, I think the main theme they’ve built up for Lara in the three reboot games is a good one too.

But yeah, Nathan’s work is top tier.