An interview with Ben Cartlidge (One Credit Classics)

Here's where you can find our audio interviews
OneCreditBen

Re: An interview with Ben Cartlidge (One Credit Classics)

Post by OneCreditBen » September 28th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Michiel K wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 4:11 pm
OneCreditBen wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 9:37 am
You could easily do Gradius sir. I just about squeaked a 1CC clear of it the other day on the plane to Japan on my 3DSXL.
That settles it, I'm going to do it.

You said something in the Green Beret video about beating these games making you a better person. I strongly believe that being decent at arcade style action games has conditioned me to keep a cool head, stay calm and act on instinct in the face of pressure. Like with a dangerous traffic situation coming out of nowhere.
Yeah you're going to do it. I'm 100% confident you're going to do it, and you'll be a better person for it afterwards.

Also I completely agree with you when it comes to playing arcade action games.

If you look above the red number 2 on the canvas you can see me sitting outside judging this fight. No flinch. No blink. No panic. Old videogames turned me into the pokerfaced savage you see sitting in that seat.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 28th, 2017, 9:31 pm

That's an extraordinarily random job you have there, Ben. Did you have a history in MMA or? I'm basically asking how you got in to judging UFC as that just seems like a pretty cool job!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 28th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 9:31 pm
That's an extraordinarily random job you have there, Ben. Did you have a history in MMA or? I'm basically asking how you got in to judging UFC as that just seems like a pretty cool job!
I started training mma in about 2006 but quickly found out I was allergic to getting hit in the face. At least that's what I told myself. I'd been a fan of the sport for ages and a guy who was on the Ultimate Fighter Season 3 had a gym near me so that's where I first started training. I fell out of training in about 2008 but carried on doing bits and pieces of grappling. In 2009 the guy who's gym I trained at put a local mma show on and asked me to do commentary. I'd never done anything like that but I said I'd do it, and I really enjoyed it.

I got a few more commentary gigs before a guy I knew asked me to judge, it was back in 2010. I'd never judged before but I learned the criteria and practiced a bit until I felt confident. I started getting more high profile commentary gigs in the UK and a few in Sweden randomly, but I noticed that I was enjoying the judging a lot more so I started focusing on that.

I was also writing about mma for a few different websites and even had a column in Fighters Only Magazine where I used to interview fighters who played videogames.

In 2012 I got the chance to judge for a UK show who'd just been bought out by a Jordanian organization. They were called Cage Warriors, the show where Conor McGregor first won world titles, and that was my first real taste of high profile international judging.

I went on to do 36 events with them over 3 years and after the first year, the UFC messaged me and asked if I'd like to try out with them. I did at an event in Nottingham and it went well, so in March 2013 I did my first full show with the UFC over in Japan and it's carried on from there really.

This past weekend I worked UFC again in Japan and it was my 25th show, which has a really nice symmetry to it.

http://mmadecisions.com/judge/379/Ben-Cartlidge

That's my MMADecisions page and it shows all the bigger shows I've done where I've had a fight go the distance. It's a crazy job, and it's such a big adventure as well. I travel quite a lot doing it which is why I get the time to get good at certain games for the channel. It's tough being away from Alison (Wife) and Larry (Dachshund Puppy) but they're both super supportive which makes all the difference.

Balancing it with a full time job and responsibilities is tough sometimes, like I got back from Japan on Monday and was in work Tuesday, but you get used to it. It's an amazing job though, and it's a real honor to get selected to judge on this level really.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » September 29th, 2017, 3:34 pm

OneCreditBen wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 5:56 pm
Yeah you're going to do it. I'm 100% confident you're going to do it, and you'll be a better person for it afterwards.

If you look above the red number 2 on the canvas you can see me sitting outside judging this fight. No flinch. No blink. No panic. Old videogames turned me into the pokerfaced savage you see sitting in that seat.

Haha, excellent!

By the way, I had a thought about a fun game to try and 1CC for when you're at a loss for what to tackle next: Toki or Juju Densetsu by TAD Corporation. You can find it on MAME.

Here's some footage of me playing it:

It's a 1-hit kill arcade platformer starring a bullet spitting monkey. Pure class. In the video I make the first few levels look a bit easy, but that's because I'm very familiar with them. There's definitely an element of memorisation present, but if you keep in mind that it isn't Sonic the Hedgehog, make sure to progress slowly and with caution and aren't averse to backing up a bit from time to time, a lot of the death traps can be avoided even on your first try. I'm talking enemies materialising out of thin air and suicide bullets, here.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 30th, 2017, 12:33 am

OneCreditBen wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 10:08 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
Thanks for that, that's awesome you seemed to already be doing what you enjoyed, and then got to fly around the world doing it!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 30th, 2017, 7:38 am

Michiel K wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 3:34 pm
OneCreditBen wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Haha, excellent!

By the way, I had a thought about a fun game to try and 1CC for when you're at a loss for what to tackle next: Toki or Juju Densetsu by TAD Corporation. You can find it on MAME.

Here's some footage of me playing it:

It's a 1-hit kill arcade platformer starring a bullet spitting monkey. Pure class. In the video I make the first few levels look a bit easy, but that's because I'm very familiar with them. There's definitely an element of memorisation present, but if you keep in mind that it isn't Sonic the Hedgehog, make sure to progress slowly and with caution and aren't averse to backing up a bit from time to time, a lot of the death traps can be avoided even on your first try. I'm talking enemies materialising out of thin air and suicide bullets, here.
I'm a huge fan of Toki and it's been on my radar for ages when I started looking at TAD after the Cabal episode. They had one of these at my local chipshop and I was never that good at it. This will get the One Credit Classics treatment for sure my friend!

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » September 30th, 2017, 7:40 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 12:33 am
OneCreditBen wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 10:08 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
Thanks for that, that's awesome you seemed to already be doing what you enjoyed, and then got to fly around the world doing it!
Yeah it's a real honour and I have a lot of fun doing it! I've got a few weeks off at the moment so trying to get quite a bit of recording done so I can be ahead when I next have to head out.

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen » December 9th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Hello my good friends.

Just thought I'd bob my latest video up here. We're on a mid season break at the moment but all the information you need about Season 4, as well as some other cool stuff, is up here! Hope that you're all doing well and thanks to everyone who's checked out the channel! It's much obliged!