An interview with Alfie Bown

Here's where you can find our audio interviews
Suits

Re: An interview with Alfie Bown

Post by Suits » April 12th, 2016, 8:01 am

I'm honestly surprised by the comments. Although I suppose I'm not really.

I thought it was enlightening and gave a positive food for thought regards games and their impact.

I like these slightly off beat C&R podcasts.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » April 13th, 2016, 12:51 pm

When someone with a nice even 20 followers on twitter opens with "I thought you guys were smarter than this stuff." I disengage any thoughts of having a pop at the righteous, imperious dick (His bro-dudey twitter pic was enough for me to think 'cock!' anyway!) life being too short an' all that!

Anyway, I enjoyed the interview, as has already been mentioned, I found it thought-provoking stuff.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » April 14th, 2016, 10:58 am

A brilliant interview, and a very nice surprise too.

I've actually been reading a lot of stuff about this recently, in mostly a casual way though. I've come across this idea of "rational recreation" before, in relation to games as well. It's a very interesting idea, but when I have come across it, it sadly tends to neglect the distinction between time-waster games and stuff with more substance to it. So I was glad to hear from a viewpoint that can see that difference.

Sad to hear this episode started a ruckus on Twitter. I thought it presented a very well-rounded and thoughtful take on things, but of course people tend to fly off the handle when you dare criticise capitalism. I'm sure you could relate that to the topic as well, in relation to how games provide us with the alternate views to capitalism being either a utopian past or dystopian future. It's part of how society has instilled this idea that you cannot criticise capitalism at all, and that to even suggest that there might be a better alternative is some kind of hideous crime.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » April 15th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Very much enjoyed the interveiw, hope Alfie Bown comes back on sometime.

I did make me largh that I was playing the podcast which talked about tech's influance at work when on my lunch brake at work being antisocal with my headphones on!!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 16th, 2016, 4:10 pm

I listened to this in bed last night and genuinely am not sure what the fuss was about. Was it simply that people didn't agree with what was said? I'd like to think that people can listen to a point of view they don't necessarily agree with and still find it interesting, or at the very least move on and forget about it!