Bloodborne - Cane and Rinse 250

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

Bloodborne - Cane and Rinse 250

Post by JaySevenZero » December 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm

"We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood."

We conclude our fifth year of the podcast with our fourth FromSoftware show. Leon, Josh, Sean and – making his Cane and Rinse debut – guest Gareth ‘Gary Dooton’ Dutton (@GaryDooton) go to tahn on Hidetaka Miyazaki’s gruesome gothica, Bloodborne. Though time is against them before the bad moon rises, the panel wades through the fluid gameplay and viscous lore with equal relish, before transfusing to the community for a further outpouring of ichor.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Cleric Beast by Tsukasa Saitoh
Track 2: Hunter's Dream by Ryan Amon
Track 3: The First Hunter by Tsukasa Saitoh

Cane and Rinse 250 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

KSubzero1000

Re: Bloodborne - Cane and Rinse 250

Post by KSubzero1000 » December 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I just finished listening to it and I have to say this has probably been my favorite issue of the C&R podcast. All the speakers expressed themselves very well and seemed highly passionate and enthusiastic about the topic. Special recognition goes to the one gentleman's well-read historian girlfriend and her fascinating observation regarding the yharnamite architecture. I don't think I was the only one surprised by that kind of attention to detail!

The only criticism I have is about Leon's complaint that he wasn't allowed to stop the invasions. Now first of all, I completely understand the frustration that arises from being repeatedly invaded by some warmongering SL287 nincompoop. Been on the receiving end of that absurdity quite a few times. But Bloodborne did in fact add a much appreciated caveat to this in the form of the bell-ringing women. And given that these only appear once a coop partner has entered the host's world (except for two specific locations), then the workaround seems fairly simple to me: summon help in front of the boss area and enter it immediately after the successful summon, thus not giving potential invaders enough time to enter your world and ruin everything. Is it as simple and intuitive as Gears opt-in opt-out coop? Not at all, but the option does exist. It just happens to be a mechanic instead of a menu-based option.

Bloodborne quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. It ticks all the boxes for me as well, and I can only agree with whoever called it a modern classic. I will definitely revisit it time and time again. If anything, I'm a bit apprehensive to see what Miyazaki and FROM will create next as I just don't see how it could rival this astonishing achievement in game design. I really wanted to share my thoughts about it before the podcast recording, but ultimately decided against it due to both the quality and the quantity of the community contributions. I think the game speaks for itself, after all.

Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into this and all the other issues of the podcast. Looking forward to Volume Six! :)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 7th, 2016, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the kind words - glad you enjoyed the podcast.

I did mention the bell-ringing woman and I recognise the value and intent of the feature. However I would still personally prefer a smoother co-op experience - without the adversarial threat - to be available to me.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » December 7th, 2016, 8:26 pm

And I completely understand where you're coming from. It certainly flies in the face of the established multiplayer structure we are used to from pretty much every other game out there. But I also think that FROM has taken the criticism to heart and found a nice middle ground in Bloodborne when compared to the previous entries in order to make the multiplayer elements more accessible and less frustrating while still staying true to their core design philosophy.

One thing I've done to mitigate the frustration of being invaded when playing in coop was to act as a Sunbro of sorts instead of summoning others. I must have spent a week's worth of gaming time helping out random players to beat a particularly tough boss in the DLC. Very satisfying experience!

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » December 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Cat appreciates the kind words. ;)

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » December 8th, 2016, 8:03 pm

I've only just realised where this post jumped to. Fantastic episode, gents, one of my favourites on one of my favourite games ever. I think Leon played a great 'everyman', by the way!

Beck

Post by Beck » January 31st, 2018, 9:49 am

As I near the end of the game with just the final boss and DLC to take on I thought I'd give the podcast a listen. Great episodes guys :)

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » February 1st, 2018, 3:22 pm

Thanks Beck. :)