The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Post by JaySevenZero » September 18th, 2016, 10:11 am

“It’s not big; we’re just small!”

Capcom’s dinky Game Boy Advance offering gets its own full-sized podcast of course. In the latest of our mammoth The Legend of Zelda series of shows, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap gets its feature presentation. Leon, Josh Ryan and guest Leah Haydu consider the qualities of this diminutive six-dungeon affair, as well as its depiction of the land of Hyrule and all of its Picori pixel art. We also hear from members of the Cane and Rinse community and find out what they made of Ezlo, Vaati and co.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Minish Woods by Mitsuhiko Takano
Track 2: Minish Village by Mitsuhiko Takano

Cane and Rinse 239 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

gallo_pinto

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Post by gallo_pinto » September 23rd, 2016, 1:17 pm

I played this right when it came out (I was in high school) and I enjoyed it, but I thought that the lead up to the final boss was the lead up to the halfway point. So when the credits rolled instead, I was annoyed that it had ended.

I played it again these last two weeks and I was able to enjoy it more because I now knew the structure of the game. My feelings were very similar to everyone on the show. It's a really fun, cute and pleasant Zelda game. It's not a must-play, but it's a very good time.

I wanted to echo the point on the visuals, because it looks like a seamless combination of the Link to the Past and Wind Waker styles. It looks great, especially when you're Minish size. And getting around the world map is SO much better than the Oracle games. Rolling the rocks in to the holes functions almost like Dark Souls-style shortcuts and it makes going back to collect heart pieces and other items a lot more enjoyable.

Something that wasn't mentioned on the show (and maybe it's because the panelists are smarter than me!) is that I found the sign posting wasn't as good in this game as in other Zelda games. The combat was much easier and the puzzles weren't all that challenging. But at least three or four times I had to check a walkthrough just to see what I was supposed to do next. Am I supposed to go to the elemental sanctuary in Hyrule Castle? Or the Minish Village? Or the sword smith on Mt. Crenel? In 2016, it was a very small issue because I was always just a click away from searching online to see what I was expected to do. But ever since Zelda 1 and 2, I haven't had to do that with other Zelda games, so it did stick out to me.

Great show again as always guys!

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix » September 27th, 2016, 10:31 pm

I definitely got the impression that Link and Zelda DID know each other before the start of the game, she came to ask him out, after all.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 28th, 2016, 6:45 am

Oh yes, you're right.

I think that's about as far as the relationship development went though...

Suits

Post by Suits » July 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I've just finished this for the first time today.

I'd listened to the podcast when it came out and new the general idea of it the entry but nothing more than the premise and a few screen shoots.

I played on a gorgeous pixel perfect GameBoy Advance SP AGS-101 the game looked fantastic, really magical. Great colours, deep shading and shadows and some clever programming with background and foreground in the Minish sections giving some real perspective beauty.

The music grated on me in places sadly, the Hyrule Town music really started to become a bit annoying after a while, considering that you effectively spend an awful lot of time in and around the town doing the little missions and quests.

I do fully appreciate that it's coming out of an awfully shallow, tinny, mono speaker on the SP however.

Movement felt quick and fun, his attack felt good. When Link is going all out on a stunned boss and you spam attack it gave that great pow, pow, pow feeling. Great stuff.

Dungeons were great, I really enjoyed Sky Fortress dungeon and I thought that all the boss fights were good fun also, nicely designed and satisfying to work out and beat. I didn't enjoyed the ice dungeon the least.

Final boss was cool, which too my sadness, I had to look up how to beat him in his last form. It would take a considerable amount of time to get to that point, then to spend fourteen hearts trying to work out what to do, only to be non the wiser - after my third attempt I looked it up. I would have perhaps eventually thought to use the staff/hammer on his arms to flip them but I would have lost a lot of patience and affection for the experience doing so I think.

I think I died three times(forgetting the final boss fight), which is hardly a measuring stick for how good a game is overall but I think that shows hard hard it is, but of course, you don't die if you can't work out a puzzle, it just slows you down.

The shrinking mechanic was fun and gave a sense of over-world under-world feeling to me, but it felt much more natural in this setting and seeing all the other items change size around made it feel more fun and immersive.

I did find the four swords mechanic a touch frustrating at times, like when trying to navigate fiddly quick timed movements. To the point that whenever I'd see the iconic plates on the floor I'd feel myself sigh a little - which is a shame.

The Kinstone mechanic was neat, although I'd totally forgotten it was there until got stuck at the three stone heads in the swamp and just spammed every button on my GBA in frustration to figure out what to do and found the Kinstone screen !!

After that I knew to look out for telltale thought bubbles on characters and would eagerly hope to open up new caves, chests or even beanstalks to the clouds.

Once I'd beaten the game I felt like there were a lot of these left to uncover, maybe too many. I certainly didn't manage to unlock the final of the four trees in the centre of the map and get at what was whatever in that giant chest.

Overall I enjoyed this an awful lot, boosted by the fact that it's a mobile game, makes this extremely accessible and easy to pick up and play quickly.

I did feel like there was plenty of other little bits and pieces to do once I'd beaten the game.

It adds to the traditional Zelda format with some fun, interesting items and mechanics, but where this entry really shines is its version of Hyrule - which while feeling a little strangled in size maybe overall, felt vibrant and mysterious especially so in Hyrule Town which is the stand out area in this game for me.

Very good, would recommend on a AGS-101 or perhaps a DS-Lite for sure.

Ezlo amiibo please.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 26th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Just having gone back and listened to the podcast again (very rewarding by the way) a few things that I'd have chimed in with are .....

Leon - That unmarked, bomb-able wall in Dark Hyrule Castle had me stumped for a while too. It was funny as earlier in that very dungeon, I began to question whether the whole dungeon map and compass mechanic, was it at all necessary anymore ? Not once had I even thought to look at one in the whole game. Then, later at that part of the dungeon, not wanting to look up the solution, I turned to the very map I'd questioned the existence of prior and traced back my slowed progress to the shared room, with the barrier between it and noticed that on the other side of the room was a bomb-able wall, which backed onto a dead-end room on the other side of the map. Eureka.

It was funny to hear you bring it up on the podcast :lol: .

Ryan - The Dark Nuts, that I struggled with too, a tactic that I discovered works well to defeat them was to go at them head on, then use Rock's Cape to jump over them and hit them from behind, very easy to defeat them that way.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 26th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Yeah, you're right - there was indeed a visual clue that I missed. It's a fair cop and apologies to Capcom/Nintendo.
I probably still had the misery of Zelda II in my head at this point!

Suits

Post by Suits » July 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Haha, I didn’t mean to dig you out about it, it is vague, it got me too.

Too scared to try Zelda II.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 26th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Suits wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm

No, didn't feel digged out at all Suits - and genuinely I am always happy to be called out if I get something wrong on the show (or in this case, unfairly criticise the game).

Some people really love Zelda II... I am not one of those people. But I didn't despise it quite as much as Josh did!
:D

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » July 27th, 2019, 12:35 am

Suits wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Don’t be scared! It’s actually really rather good when you realise you need to let yourself die a few times almost like a rogue like as you carry your HP/MP upgrades with you after death. It’s not a conventional Zelda game. I did it and I’m generally rubbish at hard games.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 27th, 2019, 5:31 am

Simonsloth wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 12:35 am
Don’t be scared! It’s actually really rather good when you realise you need to let yourself die a few times almost like a rogue like as you carry your HP/MP upgrades with you after death. It’s not a conventional Zelda game. I did it and I’m generally rubbish at hard games.
Yeah, I often think of your success with it when I paw over it in the NES Online app on Switch.

I have tried it, a few times, what I’m finding is that unless I have a very solid desire to play something nowadays, it tends to get passed for something else - there’s just sooooo much option.

I remember starting it, then deciding to play Kid Icarus instead after an hour or so.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 28th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Miyamoto isn’t a fan of TAOL: