Volume Five podcast listing

Archive for issues 201 - 250
gallo_pinto

Re: Volume Five podcast listing

Post by gallo_pinto » November 24th, 2015, 9:36 pm

ratsoalbion wrote: Also, not that I think for a moment we won't fill two hours (or near as dammit) with all of the above shows, but there's nothing to say an issue of Cane and Rinse has to be that long anyway.

If we ever run out of things to say abput a game after 45 minutes, then we'll release a sub one hour podcast.
;)
After listening to (and enjoying!) you guys go for two full hours on Threes!, I don't think you all ever need to worry about a 45 minute podcast. :D

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 24th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Yeah I had a similar concern (although that's really not the right word) when the Pacman show was announced a couple of years ago, but fear not, Leon will probably be able to tell us what colour trousers the sound engineer was wearing when he finished the final piece, such is the meticulous nature of the Cane and Rinse podcasts!

eskimo

Post by eskimo » November 25th, 2015, 10:58 am

Ghost World wrote:Always great to hear people going through the back catalogue, When did you start listening Eskimo
I first heard about you guys through the Vice article. Clicked through to your site and found a few games you covered that I was interested in and listened to those episodes. I think the Speedball 2 episode was the one that hooked me. I became sold on the idea of covering games long after the hype is dead, and discussing their place in the history of gaming even decades after release. I actually think this kind of discussion will become more and more interesting as the medium continues to develop.

After a few more shows I just went back to episode one and started from there. It's been great! I've gone back and either replayed or finished a whole load of games from way back when. I remember especially enjoying the Dead Space shows, and got motivated to finish DS3. Glad I did, that game was savaged by the critics, but I ended up enjoying it and actually really enjoyed the crafting system. Since then I've gone back and replayed System Shock 1&2, The Last of Us, MGS3 and a stack of others.

Listening to the show has also made me appreciate how similar the evolution and trends in gaming are in UK and Australia. I find myself nodding at a lot of the references you guys drop. I think it's probably due to the fact that we are an English speaking PAL territory, so we ended up getting a lot of the same hardware/software.

ratsoalbion wrote:Blimey!
Cripes!

Lokhe

Post by Lokhe » November 27th, 2015, 6:35 am

Happy to see Bloodborne on there, but in last place!? Oh the wait haha. No Human Revolution though? Guess it's in Volume 6 then :)

Also very much looking forward to Amnesia, one of my country's finest additions to gaming in recent years imo! Speaking of which, is it Dec 1 soon!?!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 27th, 2015, 7:45 am

Human Revolution? Try volume one...
http://caneandrinse.com/issue-eleven-de ... evolution/

;)

Ghost World

Post by Ghost World » November 27th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Lokhe wrote:Happy to see Bloodborne on there, but in last place!? Oh the wait haha. No Human Revolution though? Guess it's in Volume 6 then :)

Also very much looking forward to Amnesia, one of my country's finest additions to gaming in recent years imo! Speaking of which, is it Dec 1 soon!?!
As Leon said Lokhe we covered Hitman Revolution back in volume one but don't be too hard on yourself occasionally the team even forget what games we've covered over the last four years!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 27th, 2015, 4:18 pm

This is true!
:oops: :lol:

Todinho

Post by Todinho » December 2nd, 2015, 3:47 pm

Sorry if Im jumping the gun here but i was wondering how the panel for Fallout New Vegas is looking,Im just curious if there's people who played the original games or if everyone started with Bethesda's incarnation,if you're planning to bring up Fallout Van buren in the discussion or Obsidian history that kinda of stuff. Sorry if Im sounding condescending I know you guys do your due diligence on every show but I guess Im just a bit worried that side isnt gonna be covered since nowadays much of the conversation about the series revolves around Bethesda and not the original games,and I know New Vegas is different from Fallout 1&2 but it does share some of the same DNA with those games so a perspective from that side would be interesting.

Lassing

Post by Lassing » December 3rd, 2015, 1:27 am

eskimo wrote:
Ghost World wrote:Always great to hear people going through the back catalogue, When did you start listening Eskimo
I first heard about you guys through the Vice article. Clicked through to your site and found a few games you covered that I was interested in and listened to those episodes. I think the Speedball 2 episode was the one that hooked me. I became sold on the idea of covering games long after the hype is dead, and discussing their place in the history of gaming even decades after release. I actually think this kind of discussion will become more and more interesting as the medium continues to develop.
Exactly the same for me. Did some furious googling a couple of weeks ago to find a podcast touching a bit deeper on gaming. While I like podcasts like the Bombscast it sometimes deteriorates into 4 guys trying to fit in their own jokes at the same time. Finding you guys as you were finishing your 4th volume also gave me the best backlog I could ever hope for :)

The best part is that I haven't got much gaming time on my hands nowadays so I can more or less experience some classics I missed through your conversations about it, and if you rave too positively about a game I can cherry pick them out of the list of "must plays". Bought and co-oped Rayman Origins with my girlfriend after your podcast and we had a blast!

Really looking forward to what you have to say about Mass Effect 3 (I know one thing that'll probably come up...) and the Zelda-series was something I thought was lacking when I browsed all your games done so that's great too. I'm happy to see Plant vs Zombies on the list as well, hopefully you've played the vs mode and can talk about it.

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 » December 5th, 2015, 11:46 pm

I noticed this episode:
224 - Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony
Is this essentially the same as Jamestown+ or is + a sequel? I simply can't find out.. final form games don't seem to have a wikipedia page and their blog doesn't seem to clear it up but it is in the sales at the moment and I'm kind of tempted. I know the podcast will answer the question later but in a short yes or no is it good and worth a few quid?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 5th, 2015, 11:54 pm

AFAIK, + is basically the same game on PS4 with a few tweaks and enhancements in the usual fashion (which I suspect have also been patched into the PC version in the usual fashion).

Lokhe

Post by Lokhe » December 8th, 2015, 12:36 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:Human Revolution? Try volume one...
http://caneandrinse.com/issue-eleven-de ... evolution/

;)
Ahh... :D

To tell you the truth I sometimes look through the feed on iTunes and wonder "why haven't I listened to this episode!?". I turn it on and half way through I get a weird sense of deja vu and realise that I have actually listened to it :p

You have an impressive catalog though so I do believe you'll forgive my oversight haha!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 8th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Absolutely - sometimes now we forget ourselves which games we have and haven't covered...
:oops: :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 8th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Lifeline, and its imaginatively titled sequel Lifeline 2 would be good to cover in a kind of 2-4-1 style.

Edit : Wrong thread for suggestions, apologies.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » December 8th, 2015, 6:50 pm

I was looking through the podcast listing for volume five and trying to source various Zelda games (I'd prefer to play those I can on their original hardware rather than via emulation) and checking on Wikipedia etc for a bit of info on the games, when I noticed you're not doing an episode on Oracle Of Ages / Seasons. Is there a reason those games have been left out? I'm not familiar with the history of the series really, so I wasn't sure whether these were considered oddities or non-canon games that aren't really part of the main series. Just interested really, if anyone has any info, as Wikipedia doesn't really say much about that side of things. Thanks!

EDIT : DUR! I can see Oracle of Ages now, I wasn't looking far enough down the list. Being a GBC game I (wrongly) assumed it would have been released before the N64 games. I'm obviously getting my console times mixed up! I take it Seasons is too similar to Ages to warrant it's own episode?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 8th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Ages and Seasons will both be covered in one podcast. I've updated the page to indicate that now.

The games we won't be doing separately will be the Philips CDi games (Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon) and things like Link's Crossbow Training, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and Hyrule Warriors.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » December 8th, 2015, 8:08 pm

A shame for Hyrule Warriors, as it's by far the best of all the many dozens of games in the Warriors series. As a Zelda game though, not so important.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 8th, 2015, 9:04 pm

If we had some Warriors fans on the team, we'd do at least one Warriors game.

macstat

Post by macstat » December 12th, 2015, 1:51 pm

It feels wierd that with all those amazing games you 'll cover, the one im looking forward to the most is Catherine.

Its mainly because i had a lot very heated arguments with my friend about that game and im very interested whether you'll give me more ammunition or make me curl up into a ball of shame and self-pity ;).

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » December 12th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I gave up halfway through because I found the gameplay tremendously irritating... but (so) I'm not on that show!