Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Cane and Rinse 203

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Cane and Rinse 203

Post by JaySevenZero » December 20th, 2015, 2:09 pm

“It is so a fine gift.”

Monolith Productions (not to be confused with Monolith Soft) hit pay dirt when they combined JRR Tolkien’s fantasy with core gameplay facets from the Assassin’s Creed and Batman: Arkham franchises. The result, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (not to be confused with Shadows of Mordor). Rangers Leon, Brian, Josh, Karl and Ryan scout a relatively recent title by Cane and Rinse standards, and the community comes through with an (unpoisoned) orc feast of feedback and Three Word Reviews.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Could you really rest? by Nathan Grigg

Track 2: Warchief 1 by Nathan Grigg

Cane and Rinse 203 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

kintaris

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Cane and Rinse 203

Post by kintaris » July 11th, 2017, 5:52 pm

I listened to this podcast immediately after finishing the game this morning.

I just wanted to say thanks. I actually felt pretty negative about the game by the finish, and I really couldn't put my finger on why. It was actually quite frustrating - no specific element of the game was at fault and on paper it should pretty much have been my perfect game, and yet I felt utterly underwhelmed by it.

Listening to this issue really set me straight on the whole thing. My judgement of the game had been clouded by the limp ending and even limper DLC, plus some irritations that were settling in from open-world action burnout. Hearing you guys talk about the difficulty curve helped me work out why it was that I only enjoyed this game for about 2 hours in the middle! At the same time I think you have highlighted to me some great aspects of the game that I missed because I was too busy being in a bad mood with the narrative and the open world traversal.

In the end, I think I sort of played it wrong. I missed the big fuss over the Nemesis system at the time and it's actually quite possible to miss its nuances if you approach the game as though it's a formulaic open world. I captured all the points, sucked up the collectibles and then tried to go straight at the main story and had a pretty dull and miserable time of it.

I think if I had listened to this podcast beforehand I would have taken a totally different approach to see if I could craft some Nemesis stories of my own. As it was, when I got to the final mission and met my ultimate Nemesis, to me he was simply another Uruk to dispatch with ridiculous ease.

Sadly I can't wipe my memory and start the game over, but I think I will give it another go some time in the future bearing in mind what I've heard here. I will definitely try out some means of limiting the skillset in order to make my own difficulty, something I've had to do on several occasions in other games.

So - thanks guys!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Cane and Rinse 203

Post by ratsoalbion » July 11th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Interesting! Glad you enjoyed the podcast.

Perhaps the upcoming sequel will address some of this game's quirks and foibles.