80 Days - Cane and Rinse 232

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

80 Days - Cane and Rinse 232

Post by JaySevenZero » July 31st, 2016, 1:00 pm

“We leave for Paris on the 8:25. In an hour.”

Pack your bags! Ryan, James, Tony, and special guest Sean Bell grab their train schedules, wool trousers, and iPhones to play the globe-trotting interactive fiction favorite, 80 Days. The wayward adventurers go under the hood with the game’s deceptively complex mechanics and narrative structure and unearth treasure over 140 years in the making, with some helpful travel tips from the lovely Cane and Rinse global community. Share their tales of travels near and far, but beware: there be spoilers!

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: 80 Days Suite by Laurence Chapman.

Cane and Rinse 232 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead

Flabyo

Re: 80 Days - Cane and Rinse 232

Post by Flabyo » August 1st, 2016, 11:58 am

One thing the game does that isn't immediately clear is that there is a *tiny* bit of randomness to it.

Some locations have several different possible plots that can play out, and which you get is determined by a 'seed value' that the game displays at the start on your 2nd and subsequent play through. (Everyones first play through is on the same seed value, which is why you always start with London to Paris by train on that one).

I think it also affects things like which items become available to buy and where, etc... including what you have available at the start.

(I think it's possible to put a seed value in, so you can play through with the exact same 'random' elements as another player.)

macstat

Post by macstat » August 2nd, 2016, 9:05 am

When i started listening to this episode i knew nothing about this game. I rarely play games on my phone and while i put it at some point on my google play wishlist my mind was totally blank when it comes to existence of that game.

I usually listen to C&R in chunks, while going out with my dog (average of 40 minutes, lately varies because of different pokemon routes I'm taking :D), so i kinda stopped listening at that sweet spot when i got really interested in game but knew barely anything about mechanics or story spoilers. When i got back i jumped on google, typed "80 days game" in google and to my surprise a steam link popped up. My surprise was even bigger when i realized i already have it on my steam account ! I probably got it in Humble Bundle (i think it was bundled with Her Story). Right now I'm about half-way through my first play-through (on ship to San-Fran 39 days in).

I'm not sure how much more can i add because you guys basically said it all so just couple of quick thoughts.
I got screwed a little bit when i realized i cant go back and i lost an opportunity of huge sale in Moscow :P So i think game should be a little clearer on this mechanic earlier in game.
I had minor issues with VSYNC since enabling it capped my game to 30 fps, but at the same time game engine is tied to framerate and game was much much slower. A minor issue since i can play just fine without vsync, but I imagine players with huge tearing issues will struggle with this one.
I liked that part of podcast where James talked about inclusivity. But i also think that this game goes even further than more common race/sexual orientation themes. A lot of characters have interesting details in their background stories that can You care more for them because those small details resonate with You. My story from game is about that and i wouldnt want any option that would filter that out ;)

My story
Spoiler: show
I was sitting on a Trans-Siberian express, on route between Omsk and Irkutsk. During one of events i decided to go to library car, where i met Goland, a mongolian princess who wanted to be an engineer and was reading a book about algebra. Since Im a mathematician i was already hooked and wanted to make something out of it. After two night of conversations and getting to know each other Passepartout and Goland kissed.

After we disembarked in Irkutsk she suddenly brushes me off and leaves for Urga with a strange man. I decided to be selfish and told Fogg that we should change route and go to Urga instead of continuing our journey by Trans-Siberian Express. I convinced him by revealing that I learned about existence of amazing airship named Garuda.

The journey was very long and tiresome. We traveled with mongolian caravan, It took about 5 days and we covered very little ground. We also had a couple of unpleasant encounters with Kossaks who were searching for a fugitive. As it usually is with those kind of stories at some point fugitive popped up, exhausted, cold and hungry. At first i wanted to leave her because i was eager to see my love again and didn't want any problems, but to my surprise Fogg was first to brush off my suggestion and said that we shouldnt leave her. It shamed me a bit so i agreed with him. After couple of adventures which fortunately ended with success we arrived to Urga. But at this point i was so eager to redeem myself in eyes of Fogg that i only threw a sad glance at palace where Goland was (i assume) and went looking for that amazing airship (which was amazing!! totally worth the emotional toll that trip had on me :D).
@Flabyo this is really interesting ! So it would mean that when you start a game a certain "World state" is generated and it defines outcomes of some choices ? That's really cool idea, i will definitely test it out by trying to use same path at one of my later playthroughs. I wonder how many "randomized events" this game have since its already very very rich in locations and gives opportunities for wildly different stories.

EDIT:
I just finished my first playthrough and i managed to get to London in time! :) Here's a link to my adventure journal http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/jour ... rm=desktop
And here's a screenshot of paper that memorizes my success https://imgur.com/a/Otti3

EDIT 2: Recently i purchased game on my phone. Its .. well it controls a little bit worse. I especially hate when im planning my route and swiping and zooming its tad unresponsive. Also PC version has one button for "returning to current location" :( Other than that its still the same game so a lot of fun (and it is a lot cheaper).
And i finished my mobile playthrough in 81 days !!! God damnit !

gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto » August 17th, 2016, 12:18 pm

I think that 80 Days is a really good fit for this podcast. I happily could have listened to another two hours about everyone's trips and adventures.

I thought the discussion about player choice in 80 Days vs. in games like Mass Effect or Telltale was really interesting. I've been thinking about it since the podcast and I agree that the level of agency given to the player in 80 Days is much higher and there's something really fun about the idea that you would need to play it 20-30 times to actually see everything. But I don't think I would want EVERY game to do that. I haven't been able to pick up No Man's Sky, but it seems to create that same feeling. I know Mass Effect gets a bad rap for your choices not fully mattering and how all playthroughs will have at least some things in common. But I would have been devastated if I had missed the story arc with Mordin and the genophage in ME3 and just heard about it from a friend. I think the game length plays a part too. I played 80 Days five times all the way through, ending up with a play time of between 12-15 hours total. I played the first Mass Effect once and had a play time of 40 hours. I might play Mass Effect a second time, but it would still be a bummer to have only scratched the surface of the best content in two playthroughs.

So while I loved my time with 80 Days and think it is a very cool gaming experience, I wouldn't want all games to copy its approach to player choice. I also wouldn't want all games to go the Uncharted route either. I think there is still a place for games in that middle category that give you player choice, but still tell a fixed story.
macstat wrote:And i finished my mobile playthrough in 81 days !!! God damnit !
:lol: :lol: :lol: Was there any specific text about only missing your goal by a day?

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 17th, 2016, 1:42 pm

It's a natural consequences of the key development limit of time versus money that the more branches you introduce, the shorter the overall play time will end up being.

If you want to try something that experiments with mass branching, dig up anything from the Way of the Samurai series. Those have a play time of about 40 minutes, but you have to replay them multiple times to see all the routes (and indeed to even open up some of the routes, things you learn in a play through allow you to make different choices in the next).

They're a little clunky in terms of their combat mechanics sadly, otherwise they'd be much easier to recommend than they are. But if you're a student of game design, they're worth a nosy.

macstat

Post by macstat » August 18th, 2016, 9:15 am

gallo_pinto wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Was there any specific text about only missing your goal by a day?
No, fortunately game had enough empathy to not rub it in my face :D

http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/jour ... me=macstat

Banfish

Post by Banfish » August 21st, 2016, 10:18 am

Hi, long term listener here but first post!
I started listening to Cane & Rinse to hear discussion of older games I have played but now I listen every week as it introduces me to games I might like. One prime example of this is 80 Days.
I started the podcast and found myself intrigued by the game's concept, so much so that when I got to the spoiler warning I stopped the podcast and bought the game for my android tablet. In short, I loved it. I've just finished my first attempt and the standouts for me were many:
  • The Great Fair where I got my first glimpse of some of the mechanical marvels of this world.
    Turning down an offer of a balloon flight only to read how that could have unfolded in the newspaper later on.
    The political intrigues of the Artificers Guild (i think I could have expanded this story had I made different route choices).
    The Indian city of Agra. Just..go there.
    Meeting something incredible in Rangoon and being ordered to carry out a task.
    Crossing the International Date Line at 60 days and thinking, "no chance".
    Trying to incite a mutiny and getting almost everyone on-side but still failing.
    Getting diverted into South America with barely 10 days left.
    Hitting 80 days just outside Freetown :(
    Managing to get from Freetown to London in 3 days! :)
So, all-in-all, I managed it in 83 days having only withdrawn £1500 from the bank, having almost given the journey up as a total loss at the halfway mark. On the way I have had some delightful conversations and met some fascinating people (and things!). The writing was marvellous throughout with only occasional phrases repeated in the encounters (a marvel in itself).

A big thank you from me as well, Sean, for bringing this one to the team.

I would also like to urge everyone to watch the 1989 miniseries of "Around the World in 80 Days" with Pierce Brosnan as Fogg and Eric Idle as Passepartout, if you can find it. I picked it up on DVD in the 90s and fell in love with it. It stays fairly true to the book (as far as I can remember) and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing those roles after seeing it (never, ever, talk to me about that "other" film). I was reminded of this during the podcast with the mentions of the Japanese circus and the (attempted) mutiny: both are in there, although the circumstances of the mutiny are somewhat different! I had hoped to encounter Princess Auoda in the game but maybe next play through?