The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Archive for issues 201 - 250
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Post by JaySevenZero » September 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm

“It’s not big; we’re just small!”

Capcom’s dinky Game Boy Advance offering gets its own full-sized podcast of course. In the latest of our mammoth The Legend of Zelda series of shows, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap gets its feature presentation. Leon, Josh Ryan and guest Leah Haydu consider the qualities of this diminutive six-dungeon affair, as well as its depiction of the land of Hyrule and all of its Picori pixel art. We also hear from members of the Cane and Rinse community and find out what they made of Ezlo, Vaati and co.

Music used in this issue:

Track 1: Minish Woods by Mitsuhiko Takano
Track 2: Minish Village by Mitsuhiko Takano

Cane and Rinse 239 was edited by Sean O'Brien.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

gallo_pinto

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – Cane and Rinse 239

Post by gallo_pinto » September 23rd, 2016, 3:17 pm

I played this right when it came out (I was in high school) and I enjoyed it, but I thought that the lead up to the final boss was the lead up to the halfway point. So when the credits rolled instead, I was annoyed that it had ended.

I played it again these last two weeks and I was able to enjoy it more because I now knew the structure of the game. My feelings were very similar to everyone on the show. It's a really fun, cute and pleasant Zelda game. It's not a must-play, but it's a very good time.

I wanted to echo the point on the visuals, because it looks like a seamless combination of the Link to the Past and Wind Waker styles. It looks great, especially when you're Minish size. And getting around the world map is SO much better than the Oracle games. Rolling the rocks in to the holes functions almost like Dark Souls-style shortcuts and it makes going back to collect heart pieces and other items a lot more enjoyable.

Something that wasn't mentioned on the show (and maybe it's because the panelists are smarter than me!) is that I found the sign posting wasn't as good in this game as in other Zelda games. The combat was much easier and the puzzles weren't all that challenging. But at least three or four times I had to check a walkthrough just to see what I was supposed to do next. Am I supposed to go to the elemental sanctuary in Hyrule Castle? Or the Minish Village? Or the sword smith on Mt. Crenel? In 2016, it was a very small issue because I was always just a click away from searching online to see what I was expected to do. But ever since Zelda 1 and 2, I haven't had to do that with other Zelda games, so it did stick out to me.

Great show again as always guys!

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix » September 28th, 2016, 12:31 am

I definitely got the impression that Link and Zelda DID know each other before the start of the game, she came to ask him out, after all.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 28th, 2016, 8:45 am

Oh yes, you're right.

I think that's about as far as the relationship development went though...