500 - Outer Wilds

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in our current volume
JaySevenZero
Admin

500 - Outer Wilds

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Mobius Digital's Outer Wilds for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.

RadicalDog

Re: 500 - Outer Wilds

Post by RadicalDog »

Good choice for a milestone podcast - congrats!

An exploration game needs interesting things to find, and this game offers so much more than Korok seeds. I'll never forget shooting a probe into **** and ****, or solving the **** moon. (There's too much good stuff here, so I'd feel guilty spoiling it for even one person! Go and play!)

DaMonth

Post by DaMonth »

I think this is the best open world experience I've had? In the sense of actually exploring a map for its secrets where the gameplay is build around it and it's not just a setting. Maybe BOTW beats it. The ending was kind of boring but I do wanna tell you about the magical moment I had playing. I was flying through space when an asteroid grazed my spaceship. It got the power so I unbuckled and turned around to go fix it. And then I was just in space and my ship drifted off. Somehow the rock hit in such a way that the backhalf of the ship was taken out completely and I didn't notice. Then I just freefloated in silent agony until I died.

Magical.

Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

In a way every game is about learning, but I've never played a game that does such an effective job isolating the concept of exploring, learning, and interacting with systems as well as Outer Wilds. The game really feels like an adventure; the sense of exploration and the feeling you get when you realize how a system works is just fantastic. When you add a touching story with incredible visuals and music that stays in your head long after the game ends you have a classic on your hands.

I think this is one of the most memorable games this generation and I hope more people play it.

RinseWashRepeat

Post by RinseWashRepeat »

I really wanted to love this game.

Whilst I loved the freedom given to the player and the fact that you were trusted to figure out how to play the game with very little hand-holding - I just couldn't get over how annoying I found the 'reset' mechanic.

I don't know if I was just a bit rubbish at the game, but there were 5 or 6 times where I floundered for 15 minutes, finally made a discovery and then had to start all over again. Add into this I struggled with the controls and often got swept away by some galactic tornado and I just couldn't bring myself to stick with it.

Which is a real shame - I can see this is a fantastic game but I can also see I'll never be able to enjoy it.