346: Resident Evil 6 (Biohazard 6)

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in Volume Six
JaySevenZero
Admin

346: Resident Evil 6 (Biohazard 6)

Post by JaySevenZero » December 31st, 2017, 3:24 pm

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Resident Evil 6 (Biohazard 6) for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.

KSubzero1000

Re: 346: Resident Evil 6 (Biohazard 6)

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 1st, 2018, 1:03 pm

Every once in a while, one comes across a romantic couple so unevenly matched, with one party outclassing their partner in every conceivable way, be it intellect, personality, looks or personal hygiene, that one cannot help but wonder about the sordid behind-the-scenes shenanigans that must have led to this sad state of affair.

This is exactly what Resident Evil 6 represents to me: The ungodly union of one of the greatest set of core mechanics in the medium trapped inside one of the most tedious, clunky, unrefined and badly designed joke of a campaign ever created for a AAA video game.

On paper at least, I understand and appreciate what Capcom were trying to do. Dedicating each campaign segment to a different style of gameplay sounds like it would be a great way of catering to both factions of the much divided fanbase while also offering something new in the process. But in trying to please everyone, they spread themselves way too thin and ended up pleasing (almost) no one. I can only assume that the producers severely underestimated the resources necessary to make this ambitious project come to fruition and had to make do with what they had later on. The bottom shelf level and encounter design, tasteless enemy design, over-reliance on insipid set pieces and complete lack of polish that resulted are impossible to ignore. The fact that this game is meant to be a successor to the impeccably crafted experience provided by Resident Evil 4 makes this pill especially hard to swallow.

The story which takes itself incredibly seriously is just the mouldy cherry on top. I don't mind silly background stories in video games as long as they merely serve to frame the action and provide context for the gameplay, but the faux melodrama, idiotic plot elements, hokey writing and hordes of forgettable characters in this game are just grating.

With all that said, the game does have one redeeming quality in my eyes and that is The Mercenaries, because this is where the excellent combat mechanics truly shine. The end result isn't quite as balanced and polished as RE4's Mercenaries mode for my taste, but it does have a higher skill ceiling and therefore ridiculous replay value for those looking for a substantial, arcadey third-person shooter melee-based combat system that rewards skill, strategy and perseverance. When I bought the PS4 re-release of this game at full price, it was with the explicit intention of not going anywhere near the atrocious campaigns or any of the other throwaway extra modes and focusing my attention solely on The Mercenaries. I personally feel like I've gotten my money's worth by doing so, although I suppose I'm probably in a very small minority in that regard.

In the end, Resident Evil 6 is by far my least favorite of the mainline Resident Evil games despite me regularly feeling compelled to revisit its delightful combat engine. It abandons everything else I care about in regard to the Resident Evil formula and I could not in good conscience recommend this game to anyone but the most dedicated action game fanatics.

Three Word Review: Utterly Grotesque Juxtaposition

rob25X

Re: 346: Resident Evil 6 (Biohazard 6)

Post by rob25X » May 19th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I thought I would have a great time and really enjoy Resi 6 playing through with a friend but we both found it a bit of a boring grind. The missions went on too long, the story was very confusing and the enemies were absolutely awful (a man turning into a dinosaur being the worst of all).

Despite the overall disappointments of the game there is a lot to like. The graphics are top notch and the controls are tight and responsive, if a little confusing. It's Resi 5 with more characters, more action, and more of everything... just not very enjoyable really.

Ada's campaign (played solo) was the highlight of the game for me. Especially her first mission.

I have little enthusiasm to return to the game. Upgrading all the weapons, finding the collectibles and enjoying the game further is something I just can't see myself ever wanting to do.

An ok game, very long, a lot to do, just not 'fun' or as good as older Resi titles.