344: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in Volume Six
JaySevenZero
Admin

344: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Post by JaySevenZero » December 31st, 2017, 3:27 pm

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Mario Kart: Double Dash!! for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.

xbenblasterx

Re: 344: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Post by xbenblasterx » May 4th, 2018, 10:34 pm

They always say 'your first Mario Kart is also your favorite' and this certainly rings true for me. Double Dash was the sole game included in the bundle when i first got my Game Cube and being the young kid that i was at the time it was many months until i recieved another game and so many hours of Double Dash were played, many enjoyable hours. I must have experimented with every possible duo before finally setteling on my best partnership of Baby Mario and regular Luigi. I raced those tracks time and time again, discovering all the hidden routes and besting the ai on every difficulty.

There have been better iterations of Mario Kart in the series, but Double Dash will forever be my favorite.

Steve Arran

Re: 344: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Post by Steve Arran » June 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Double Dash is quite possibly my favourite instalment of Mario Kart. I had played the original on the Super Nintendo as a lad but had missed the N64 iteration due to my teenage jump to the playstation. I would’ve loved to have had two consoles, but they were hella expensive back then for a kid with no disposable income! Consequently, at nineteen years old, studying abroad, and playing on a then girlfriends Gamecube, made Double Dash my first experience with a 3D Mario Kart. And it was everything that I could have wanted it to be, with the added bonus of playing with an awesome lady in the driver or co pilot seat.

At the time the graphics seemed to ping with almost Pixar levels of gorgeousness. These were the characters as I had wanted them to look on the SNES, and they moved as fast as lightning in comparison to the 16bit original. The best part was that there were dozens to choose from, and they could be used in any combination that a lapsed Nintendo fanboy could imagine. I can remember being ridiculously OCD with my choices at first: Mario and Luigi, Toad and Toadette etc. There was no way Wario and Princess Peach were going to team up, it just seemed wrong! But, after a while, when I’d played this game for more hours than I think is healthy, my selections relaxed and I began to make up mini narratives for myself. Maybe Mario and Bowser were working together to ensure that Donkey Kong, back to his old barrel throwing plumber squashing tricks* didn’t win the tournament and carpet the mushroom kingdom with endless banana plantations. It could happen! That race has to have prize money! Maybe Big Boo was driving around having possessed Yoshi’s cart because he wanted revenge against another driver who had killed him in a previous race. Dark stuff, I know, but I had a lot of time on my hands!

My go to choice, however, ended up being the red and green koopers, driving around in either the red or green kooper car, depending on my mood. They were slick and speedy and I liked to imagine them as the plucky underdogs, trying to make a name for themselves and get out from under the yoke of their King Kooper master. I became quite expert at boosting around the many brilliantly designed tracks with those little guys. This wasn’t really down to skill, more because I was at university abroad, and had nothing much to do with my time once my classes had ended other than get good at this game.

And boy did this thing have plenty to get good at. Time trials, mirror mode, battle areas, I relished them all. My then girlfriend actually got really annoyed as I’d gotten better at the game than her - though she did much better in her uni work than I did so it was a fair trade off I’d say. On occasions when we’d face off on the race track(pretty much every night), if I really wanted to rub my newfound skill set in I’d choose a Wario WaLuigi combo. Nothing adds insult to injury more than being beaten in battle mode by those two sleazeballs. However, as much as we would faux argue over a cheeky blue shell deployment or a banana stealthily slipped inside a bonus item box, we would always go back to playing combo mode, and unleashing our skills on the unsuspecting racers of the mushroom kingdom. If only we could have played this online! We would have conquered worlds.

Mario Kart Double Dash reminds me of an amazing time in my life, where the summer days were as vibrant as the GameCube's graphics and life was as simple as a spin around The Baby Park. I have yet to go back to any other iteration of Mario Kart, or back to the place where I studied abroad. The latest games do look as vibrant and as fun Double Dash though. Maybe now I’m an adult I can justify spending money on more than one console? Or maybe I’ll spend it on a flight to the good old US of A and relive some of my college days. I could always take a Nintendo Switch with me :)

*yes, I know, he’s not the same Donkey Kong.