335: Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura)

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in Volume Six
JaySevenZero
Admin

335: Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura)

Post by JaySevenZero » December 31st, 2017, 3:36 pm

Here's where you can leave your thoughts regarding Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura) for possible inclusion in the podcast when it's recorded.

lowestformofwit

Re: 335: Ghosts ‘n Goblins (Makaimura)

Post by lowestformofwit » January 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm

This is such an odd one.

I have strong nostalgic feelings for this game but I probably shouldn't as the experience is never very enjoyable. The game is too hard due to its coin-op roots. I remember playing a Spectrum conversion on a rainy day when I was probably very young and the furthest I ever got was the Crystal Castles (?) section (maybe level 3 - memory is very fuzzy). It's such a laugh that to complete it the game throws you back at the start...

Maybe I was just too rubbish. Maybe I needed to git gud?

Iconic though. Always pick up the daggers, avoid the firebomb 'power-up' always...

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » January 10th, 2018, 9:52 pm

I bought this and London to Brighton steam train simulator Southern Belle for the ZX Spectrum at the same time, and suffice to say Southern Belle didn’t get a look in for a very long time!

I think at the height of my expertise I got to the first boss, a winged demon that bounced around at you if I remember correctly. Funny thing is I never thought about it being that difficult – which retrospectively I now know it to be notoriously so in the history of gaming! I was more than happy in that graveyard, and never even considered there being more to the game than this. (Which ironically there wasn’t much more of on the Spectrum). Just die and restart without too much frustration, which is one of the many qualities that makes this a classic of the eighties on any platform, a great conversion for the Spectrum, and one of my favourite games ever.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade Steve, but the Speccy conversion was waaaaay easier than the original coin-op!

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » January 17th, 2018, 10:34 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 9:55 pm
Sorry to rain on your parade Steve, but the Speccy conversion was waaaaay easier than the original coin-op!
What do you mean? The Speccy version was arcade-perfect wasn’t it???

Yes, I remember that, though my experience of the coin-op was extremely limited. I quickly decided there were far better ways of stretching full value out of a precious 10p - namely Shao-lin’s Road around that time if I remember right. Anyway, it’s all relative. Kids today with their new-fangled Dark Souls or Super Meatboy don’t know they’re born!