DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your memories and opinions of DJ Hero and DJ Hero II for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

Friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Kacey

Re: 387: DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

Post by Kacey »

I went to a games convention recently, someone brought DJ Hero and it was the largest non-competitive spectacle at the event. DJ Hero was an interesting idea that simply came too late. The gameplay was fun (though I have no idea how 2009 me was any good at it), the music combinations were creative and the turntable peripheral was perfect for the game- but the novelty of non-standard controllers was gone at this point. Had this come out during the sixth gen, alongside the DDR pads and bongo controllers, it might have stood a chance. I hope we get to see another shot at DJ Hero one day because it was one of the most unique takes on the rhythm genre since the first Guitar Hero- and it didn't deserve to die before it even got the chance to be refined.
duskvstweak

Re: 387: DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

Post by duskvstweak »

DJ Hero never got past the in-store demo for me. Whereas I picked up Guitar Hero as soon as I tried it for a few minutes, DJ Hero was a bit harder for me to wrap my head around. I thought it looked cool, for sure, and was right up my rhythm-game tastes, but I was in college and my money and time were limited and, well, I just never walked out of the store with a copy.

The music, however, I took to. That mashup of Grapevine and Feel Good Inc. is one I still play on the radio. It has so much energy, I love it. The Foo Fighter/Beastie Boys mix, the Rihanna/Killers mix, there's so many great pieces of music in the game, that it does make me regret never having given the game a proper spin(!). Maybe I should start keeping an eye out for one...
Magical_Isopod

Re: Our next podcast recording (13.9.19) - 387: DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've never played DJ Hero, but I have a very negative opinion of this series and the "Rock Band" style games, notably in terms of their instruments and the environmental impact they've had. Those who worked retail roundabouts 2010 know exactly what I'm talking about - most of these things wound up in landfill. When EB Games, for instance, shrinks out used accessories, they're to be rendered inoperable and tossed in the dumpster. No e-waste recycling, no liquidation, just straight in the bin. And considering millions of these things were sold... We're talking literal tons of plastic and electronics headed straight to landfill from retailers, thrift stores, and consumers. Novel as the game itself may have been, was it worth the ecological toll? That's a question I think the gaming space will be asking itself more and more in the coming decades.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

2009 really felt like the last time instrument-based rhythm games were in the mainstream. The hype around these types of games had died down and they probably weren't selling as well as they had. This explains how I bought DJ Hero with the controller from Tesco in 2014 for €5 as they were clearing old stock. They had about 10 of them.

The game was fun and some of the tracks were really good. I also bought a cheap copy of the second game. I didn't enjoy the music as much as it focused more on hip-hop and r'n'b hits of the time. I quit it after an hour and put both games and the deck away.

I brought the deck back out before the podcast and played through both games. Its still fun but there isn't enough to keep me interested. The first is still my favourite, however, that is based mostly on musical tastes.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Im late (again) but hopefully skimmed in with this feedback.

Rhythm action games and particularly the plastic peripheral based ones live or die based on their music. It sounds obvious but that this is why it has taken me a decade to even try DJ Hero.

During the glory days when every Game shop was filled with guitars, drum kits, key-tars and a myriad of seemingly pointless peripherals my musical tastes were far too narrow and I was too stubborn to entertain a DJ game. I was a Rock Band or Guitar hero man and the only Yoda I was interested in was in a galaxy far far away.

Now I’ve grown up (to an extent) and my tastes and mind have broadened I like what I like irrespective of its genre. This applies to pretty much everything. So I snapped up a second hand copy of DJ Hero and it’s sequel with the peripheral for 10 pounds on eBay. Crazily enough I had to order 3 before I found a working one as most of the sellers had left the old batteries in them which had leaked. This shows how much a whirlwind fad the wave of plastic peripherals was that owners dumped them in the loft with little care for their longevity.

Overall I had a blast. Most of the songs aren’t to my tastes and some of the mixes butchered the songs I did like by placing them alongside some ill advised choice. However the actual mechanics particularly in the second game are stellar. There is a definite feeling that each time you played a track the freestyle sections allowed freedom to express my inner DJ.

Along the way I realised the game was better played standing up posturing like a real craftsman of the art and removing the plastic piece on the slider so you moved the small piece of metal instead. I found it gave you more control and feedback with the satisfying clunk when switched to each side.

I got into a one sided score battle with another forum member on my PSN friends list which gave me a challenge beyond the usual obtain 5 stars target. It lead to some sweaty moments with ColinAlonso turning into my unofficial nemesis.
I suppose this brings me onto my main point which is all these types of games are incredibly social and there is something quite lonely about the way I consumed DJ Hero. I stood often on my own or with my wife telling me I looked like an idiot working my way through a mix. However I suspect you put me in a face off, guitar vs DJ battle or even add vocal accompaniment the game would be far more fun and exciting. As it was I enjoyed it. I don’t think I’ll play it again for some time but I have removed the batteries in case I do want to. I suspect at this point a chunk of the podcast listeners will be digging out all their old controllers checking they did the same.
raisinbman

Re: DJ Hero and DJ Hero II

Post by raisinbman »

One of the reasons I started tuning into C&R