The Mark of Kri

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Mark of Kri

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of The Mark of Kri for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
ThirdDrawing

Re: 429: The Mark of Kri

Post by ThirdDrawing »

It's been a long time since I played this game, but I remember thoroughly enjoying my play through and learning all the skills that serve you during the game.

My one big complaint that I remember is that you're forced to toss out everything you learn for the last level (or boss - my memory is a bit hazy) and that it just ends up becoming a hack and slash at the end. It seemed like wasted potential.

A fun game overall though.
RCheeze

Post by RCheeze »

I was first introduced to The Mark of Kri when I was 16 years old via a 2002 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine. In its review of the game, EGM talked about how The Mark of Kri had a Disney-esque aesthetic with violent combat. Intrigued by the art style and reading about what at the time seemed like a novel combat system, I bought the game and enjoyed it from beginning to end. I haven't played it since those PlayStation 2 days, but what really stuck with me was the presentation. The music was excellent, the character designs were appealing, and hand drawn cutscenes still stick in my mind to this day. I can't speak to how well the combat or gameplay holds up, but I feel that The Mark of Kri took interesting risks for a first-party PlayStation game.
Utopian_Blaster

Post by Utopian_Blaster »

Bit of a flawed gem this. The presentation was definitely above average with some nice loading screens and character design (sexy archer ladies!). Unexpectedly violent too. The story, however, was pretty basic and I seem to remember the ending being very abrupt, though I only played it through once. Gameplay-wise, I enjoyed the stealth sections and crow-vision was a novel twist. I was less keen on the melee combat and sometimes struggled with the timing on combos - it just felt a bit off to me. Sadly stealth went out the window in last level and it became a painful slog. Shame that it ended on a bum note (for me anyhow) but overall I have fond memories of it.