417: Marvel's Spider-Man

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we're covering in our current volume
JaySevenZero
Admin

417: Marvel's Spider-Man

Post by JaySevenZero » January 1st, 2020, 11:17 am

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of Marvel's Spider-Man for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.

Nupraptor

Re: 417: Marvel's Spider-Man

Post by Nupraptor » January 14th, 2020, 2:46 pm

There are lots of good things about this game, but I would like to focus on two.

First: the web swinging. If this part of the game was bad, the game would not work. But it's good. It's really good. Swinging around the city always feels like a fun, liberating and joyful thing. They throw in little tweaks and upgrades to add variety and keep it fresh, but even at it's most basic, the web-swinging is just good fun.

Second: the sense of Spider-Man as part of his community. This is a core appeal of the character for me and I think they nailed this aspect too. Spider Man isn't a dark and brooding vigilante like Batman or a heroic outcast like the X-Men, he is a Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderman! They really captured this facet of the character. He makes banter with pedestrians as he swings around. People in the street call him "Spidey" and shout out to him. Side missions have him cleaning up the environment, performing relatively mundane tasks for his community and even chasing down lost pigeons. The quick travel has him riding the subway, often slouched next to other passengers and listening to music on his headphones like any other commuter. Even as Peter Parker, he helps out at his Aunt's homeless shelter. This sense of Spider-Man as a friendly and benign part of his community, really makes it a positive experience to have him as your avatar.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » January 15th, 2020, 3:05 am

I really disliked aspects of this story. Particularly killing Aunt May - it felt like they did it just to set it apart from other iterations of Spider-Man.

I liked that they used a lot of old villains, and I was okay with them tossing in Mr. Negative as a newer one for variety. It worked well, and he was a cool boss fight.

The mechanics, particularly swinging, are the best of any Spider-Man game ever, hands down. I have literally just put on a mix of music from the old 60s Spider-Man cartoon and swung around the city for a couple of hours. They absolutely, 100% nailed it.

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » January 17th, 2020, 2:44 am

I really liked this game. At first. Plain and simple, the gameplay here is great - both the traversal and the combat feel amazing, absolutely fantastic. But I think part of my issue with this game was expectations - the press had hyped this one up as some grand subversion of expectations, some kind of fantastic narrative that transcends typical comic book schlock. I didn't get that. I got a very rote, bog-standard story that didn't do anything at all to wow or surprise me. For a game as long as this one, I really needed a narrative hook to keep me interested... It didn't have one, and I dropped it during the last few hours of the game from sheer disinterest.

But on a more positive note, I will recommend a hidden gem indie game called Valley from 2016, as that game has similar quality of movement mechanics, albeit done differently. If you like flying through the sky as Spidey, you'll probably enjoy Valley too.

TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer » January 21st, 2020, 8:51 am

Traversal around the city feels very good in the main, although not necessarily for close quarters precision movement, chasing pidgeons is not fun.
The combat is maybe not unique, but I like that almost all of the powers/abilities feel useful; I didn't end up spamming 1 or 2 things as per some games of this ilk. However in the late game and the DLC the difficulty was ramped with increasingly obtuse enemy types.

In the context of not being a superhero fan, I found the story likeable enough, mainly because of the light tone and humour. I enjoyed the set pieces more than I expected, not too heavy on the quick time event. And I LOOOOVE the accessibility options to replace button mashing with a hold (mashing brings me no enjoyment).

Overall an enjoyable romp, never sets out to chart new ground but succeeds at what it tries.

Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo » January 24th, 2020, 10:53 pm

While much has been said of the sublime movement of Spiderman in this game I would suggest that its other main strength is its top notch combat system, refining and building on from the solid system established by the Arkham games. Being all stealthy or going all out, webbing up bad guys was a true delight. One of my favourite tools to use was the suit with the robo-spider arms which you could absolutely dominate any fight with but had to be used sparingly. Building up focus while you were low on health against a foe before using such techniques went a long way into making the combat a delicate balance on the knife edge and could determine if you were getting out alive. Pulling such a stunt off always felt incredibly satisfying.

Marvel’s Spider-Man is a remarkably well made tight experience which I absolutely recommend to fans of the wall crawler. Insomniac did a fantastic job of capturing the appeal of the character and I would be well up for more crime fighting adventures from them in the future.

Three word review: Web slinging joy

The Walking Dad

Post by The Walking Dad » February 4th, 2020, 4:15 am

It's going to be tough to not simply heap praise on both a fun game starring a favorite hero *and* the incarnation that first got my daughter to love the wall crawler, but here goes.

Marvel's SPIDER-MAN is a banner example of a game that does a couple things perfectly, many things solidly, and just about nothing badly. Movement, both around the city and from foe to foe during combat is exhilarating while requiring enough concentration to make you feel like you're controlling spidey rather than in autopilot, and there's a lot of very effective narrative and character work (both in terms of immediately establishing circumstances via an intro with strong "BACK TO THE FUTURE opening shot" energy, and genuine legwork done to develop characters and raise stakes through the course of the game.

While it still has a few niggles related to the inherent tug-of-war associated with narrative-heavy games that take place in leisurely open worlds, one thing that elevates SPIDER-MAN a bit above the likes of ARKHAM CITY is how getting distracted by side guff is very appropriate to the title character. Stopping to foil a mugging or break-in on the way to meet MJ for dinner or help Aunt May at the shelter is about the Spider-man-est thing you can do, so I felt far less guilty chasing extras, but still engaged in the unfolding narrative. Because I rarely used fast travel, I could easily plan routes across town to story missions that would have a few side quests or collectibles on the way. This is the only game I've ever platinum'd, and it never once felt like a chore.

It also presents a darn-near platonic ideal of characters, with recognizable classic traits mixed in with modern tweaks that the occasional drastic reworking (like more or less turning MJ into Lois Lane) feel like natural extensions, especially given the familiar personalities and relationship dynamics from various other media versions.

(NB: except J. Jonah Jameson. I get the logic of turning him into a mustachioed Alex Jones-a-like, but I still hate it.)

This is the game that I wanted SPIDER-MAN 2 to be just about every moment I wasn't swinging around the PS2 version of New York, and while there are still a few obvious seams in Insomniac's latest, the whole is pretty spectacular.

chase210

Post by chase210 » February 22nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

I inadvertently ended up buying the Spider-Man PS4 Pro, the special edition with statue, and a regular copy of the game that came with the console. I was excited for this game.

I love the web slinging. I love how arcadey it feels, I love how it never stops feeling exhilarating. I love how gorgeous New York never stops feeling. I love the story. I love how although we know what Doc Ock will turn into, the game makes us wish and wish it could be different, I love peters relationship with MJ and Aunt May. I like the way Miles Morales is brought into the story. I like the combat, people always comment on how similar it is to the Arkham series, but I’m not sure I agree. It flows much different, it’s a lot faster, more aerial. I mean, obviously. I like clearing the map, I like almost all the side activities.

What I don’t like? The times the game forces you to play as non Spider-Man/Peter Parker characters, not all of the side activities work. Some of the taskmaster challenges didn’t excite me either honestly.

Overall, truly the amazing Spider-Man game.

chase210

Post by chase210 » February 22nd, 2020, 12:43 pm

chase210 wrote:
February 22nd, 2020, 12:42 pm
I inadvertently ended up buying the Spider-Man PS4 Pro, the special edition with statue, and a regular copy of the game that came with the console. I was excited for this game.

I love the web slinging. I love how arcadey it feels, I love how it never stops feeling exhilarating. I love how gorgeous New York never stops feeling. I love the story. I love how although we know what Doc Ock will turn into, the game makes us wish and wish it could be different, I love peters relationship with MJ and Aunt May. I like the way Miles Morales is brought into the story. I like the combat, people always comment on how similar it is to the Arkham series, but I’m not sure I agree. It flows much different, it’s a lot faster, more aerial. I mean, obviously. I like clearing the map, I like almost all the side activities.

What I don’t like? The times the game forces you to play as non Spider-Man/Peter Parker characters, not all of the side activities work. Some of the taskmaster challenges didn’t excite me either honestly.

Overall, three word review - truly amazing Spider-Man.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm

I had no interest in this whatsoever before or during launch. I then borrowed it off my sister after it got good reviews and people seemed to be enjoying it. It really follows the standard template that lesser open world games have rigidly stuck to for the last decade. Repetitive missions, piling on more and more collectables throughout the game, tedious minigames and (in my opinion) a lackluster story.

But guess what - this game is excellent! All of that is washed away by some of the best world traversal ever seen in gaming. It almost seems passé to go on about it, but boy they nailed what being Spider-Man must feel like. It's just so exciting zipping through the city, and it never gets old. I was having just as much fun as I drew towards the end of my 40 or so hour playthrough as I did at the start.

Add in a highly responsive and hugely enjoyable combat system - one so good that I actively seeked out groups of thugs rather than swing by them - and you have the making of one of, if not the best superhero games of all time. Batman is my guy, I've never been in to Spidey and love the Arkham games, but I had at least as much fun with this as I did them.

The game is far from perfect, but the criticism I mention above, along with some massively irritating and pace breaking forced stealth sections in which you play as other characters, is easily ignored in favour of the sheer awesomeness of being Spider-Man.

Three word review: Spider sense tingling...