Mario Kart 7

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Mario Kart 7

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Mario Kart 7 for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
bixer

Re: 497 - Mario Kart 7

Post by bixer »

As someone who's been a huge fan of the Mario Kart franchise since Mario Kart 64, I didn't think a game in the series could bore me but it's for that unfortunate reason that I'd probably consider 7 my least favourite of them all.

It's perfectly competent, but every other Mario Kart game at least adds something, or tries something new. Everything about Mario Kart 7 just felt so bland and by the numbers. With most games in the series being somewhat unique, they at least still have their own value and are often fun to revisit, but with how little Mario Kart 7 innovated on anything, in a world where Mario Kart 8 now exists it feels truly redundant.

It's not a bad game by any means and if someone came to this as only their first or perhaps second Mario Kart game then there's plenty of enjoyment to be had, but for long time fans of the series Mario Kart 7 doesn't really offer anything that hasn't been done better elsewhere.
Buskalilly

Post by Buskalilly »

My main memory of Mario Kart y was a really stupid falling out it caused between me and my then girlfriend; I was insistent on playing as Mario characters, she wanted us to play as our respective Miis, she thought this was me not wanting to spend time with her, I was being obnoxious and stubborn. . . I assume it ended with an awkward silence and then me agreeing to play a Grand Prix with her as Miis.

Other than that, although I'm a big fan of the Mario Kart games, and spent obscene hours on both DS and Wii, for whatever reason 7 was the game I didn't play very much of. I'm sure I unlocked everything but I don't remember it particularly well. I think it was the era when I was addicted to Animal Crossing and no other 3DS game was getting a look in.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

When I was working at Nintendo of Europe, I spent countless hours in the kitchen area with my co-workers absolutely thrashing this game. It was super competitive and serious arguments and angst were let out at every opportunity. The best moment I have from that game was knocking my boss out of the air in Daisy Hills when he was hang gliding with a red shell and taking the win!

I played this game at every opportunity on my 3DS and it never left my cartridge slot! The tracks and kart designs were top-notch and with the custom kart creator, you could make your dream kart! My favourite tracks had to be SNES' Rainbow Road for its fun and simplicity and Wii's Maple Treeway for how much you could annoy your friends by knocking them off the track.

The items are all equally excellent, with things like the Super Leaf allowing you to hit other racers with your tail and Coins giving you the ability to increase your speed!

The final addition which I loved was hang gliders. They added another dimension to the game and it was so exhilarating flying across large chasms and blasting people midair. The underwater submarine sections were alright, but it made the racing more sluggish in my opinion.

The memories I have of those kitchen races with my friends at Nintendo will always stay with me and make this game very special indeed! For me, this makes it one of the best Mario Kart games and thank you so much to everyone at Nintendo for the amazing memories <3
Kanlic

Re: 489 - Mario Kart 7

Post by Kanlic »

Living in New York City at the time, I would spend around 3 hours a day sitting in the metro going to school and work. Having my black and gold Zelda edition of the 3DS XL keep me company during those long commutes, I could be found on the D line listening to podcasts and tearing up the Mushroom Kingdom as Donkey Kong (the best, I won't hear anything about it) in my barrel kart. I enjoyed having the 3D slider turned up a little to give the screen a little pop. The rally race style courses were a welcome addition to the series, and served as the best show cases for the new gliding mechanic.

I never went anywhere without my phone, wallet, keys and 3DS. One night I went out with a friend who was in town for their birthday for some drinks and loud music, and I hung my jacket up on the hook positioned over our table. When it was time to close out, I took my jacket down I realized I had left all my belongings in my jacket. Wallet was still there, relieved I put my jacket and instinctively reached for my left side inner pocket to feel nothing at all. I patted my chest, my sides, checked the linings of my coat. Someone had walked off with my 3DS and the only thing that had made commuting tolerable for me. The next few days I was distraught, that first hour and a half trek to Manhattan from the Bronx was brutal, and the return after a very long day at work was even worse. I turned on my Wii U to enjoy the only gaming that was possible for me at that moment only to see something odd. Who is that Mii that's looking back at me? Where's my blue shirt, brown shaggy hair, square glasses? Who's this guy in a yellow beanie and why is his name "Shiznaz"? Because he's the kind of guy who would steal your 3DS. And he was currently playing Mario Kart 7. I muffled my scream in my pillow.

For the record, I just made it to the final dungeon of Dragon Quest 9 and was looking forward to beating that game. Shiznaz robbed me of many things that night. I cried and am not ashamed to admit it.