Bubble Bobble series

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Bubble Bobble series

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Bubble Bobble (series) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

NB: The games we'll be looking at in this series show are the original Bubble Bobble itself, plus the myriad spin-offs and direct sequels such as Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories.

The PUzzle Bobble games (aka Bust-a-Move), Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars and their spin-offs and sequels will not be covered in this particular podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
T-BirD

Re: 484 - Bubble Bobble (series)

Post by T-BirD »

Bubble Bobble was one of the first games I really fell in love with on my Commodore64. The simple, cheerful gameplay was lots of fun and kept child me coming back over and over, even when the frustration was mounting. I never finished it. Never even got close. But I loved it all the same.

I can still whistle that earworm of a tune on command.

For some reason, I never got into Rainbow Islands or any of the other sequels. Rainbow Islands was just too different and didn't feel "good" to play to me, and I didn't try most of the others.

3 word review of the original: "Effervescent dragon combat"
stvnorman

Re: 484 - Bubble Bobble (series)

Post by stvnorman »

Bubble Bobble is sacred ground for me. Playing with my brothers on the Spectrum and then the ST are some of my most treasured gaming memories. I can’t think of any version I’ve played since, including the original, that isn’t still a joy to play. I’ve never spent much time with any spin-offs though. No need!

Three word review: Pure gaming happiness
OldPec

Re: 484 - Bubble Bobble series

Post by OldPec »

I remember the Bubble Bobble music singing out across the arcade and I sank quite a few coins into it as youth (without ever really getting very good at it I must admit). It's perhaps difficult to choose a favourite arcade game of all time, but Bubble Bobble would be in the mix.

And now I've just paid $55 Australian to buy Bubble Bobble 4 Friends on PlayStation and $100 bucks for a fourth controller so I can play it with all of my kids, so I guess Bub and Bob still have the power to extract coin from my wallet.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I wish the original arcade game was available on Switch as part of the Arcade Archives series. I'd love to play it without having to pay £35 for the recent game (which I believe original arcade game is playable via)?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Here you go:
https://www.change.org/p/hamster-corpor ... ndo-switch

Do you not have a PS4 any more, Alex?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 13th, 2021, 9:51 pm Here you go:
https://www.change.org/p/hamster-corpor ... ndo-switch

Do you not have a PS4 any more, Alex?
Ah cool, well hopefully they'll listen!

I do still have my PS4, just prefer arcade games like this on a handheld as I tend to play them in quick bursts here and there. Think I've probably got more old arcade ports installed on there than other games these days!
Wuqinglong

Post by Wuqinglong »

Bubble Bobble is a series I often confused with Puzzle Bobble when I was younger. If the arcade cabinet has the cute dragons it must be the same series right? That aside I've always adored Taito's aesthetics for this and related series but never really played the games. I'm too young to have been there for the halcyon days of the arcades but sitting down with the older titles for Cane and Rinse I had some fun, although generally didn't feel compelled to keep playing after I ran out of continues or got stuck on one of the later floors. I'm glad I checked the series out, the aesthetics and music are wonderful, I just wish I enjoyed the gameplay a bit more than I do.

3 Word Review: Deadly Dragon Bubbles