Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
caponeadam

Re: 546: Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom

Post by caponeadam »

I have been a VR enthusiast ever since owning a Oculus dev kit since around 2013, up until this game I had played hundreds and hundreds of titles, mostly ranging from experiences to strange experiments to gimmicks to what felt like existing games being forced into VR worlds. I like to think that there have only been 2 VR games so far, the last one was Half Life Alyx, whilst Astrobot Rescue Mission was the first.

Astrobot Rescue Mission managed to bring up similar feelings I had when playing Mario64 for the first time, where an entire genre of game was evolving before my very eyes. For me this was being able to lean around the environment, discovering secrets and even hidden storytelling from different angles. There are of course the many endless fun VR experiments scattered throughout but it's that core of heightened connection to the environment and characters, coming together in a complete and polished package that for me made this a standout pivotal moment in VR gaming
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Quiet Paul wrote: March 21st, 2022, 5:39 pm It just doesn’t compare to another ‘demo’ launch game I can think of…
On the day of its release I booted up the PS5 and noticed the icon for Astro’s Playroom and thought “that must be the demo” since Astro Bot was on the PSVR demo I’d played as well! I was right… and very wrong!

Arguably this demo can stand as its own full-fledged, if a little short, game.

It absolutely oozes charm. Everything in this game is enjoyable. Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts wishes it was this game (at least I wish this was a BK game)!

The music literally stays in my head all day if I play this game. I played it on Sunday before tidying the house and later found myself changing the bed sheets going “GPUUU… GPUUUU…” I mean how often do you find yourself singing about a GPU in your spare time? Not only is it a catchy tune but also if you find the lyrics in the level you realise it’s a very basic way of describing how a CPU works! Fun AND educational. Not just that levels music but all of the music is instantly loveable.

I wonder how many references to other games did the panel notice on their own before having to look up some? I managed most I think, I did have to look up a few as I didn’t know what game the bots and cameramen bots were referencing. Finding them brought a smile to my face.

Finding all the artefacts was equally as fun and a great throwback for PlayStation enthusiasts! Ironically allowing the fan base to binge on nostalgia for a couple of hours and then (at the time of writing this) ignoring cries to allow for PS3, 2 and 1 backwards compatibility.

A beautiful, catchy, fun little platformer. It perfectly exemplifies the abilities of the PS5’s new controller which, I believe, sets the benchmark for future controllers. So much so even Microsoft sat up and took notice.

Apart from the length of the game, I just don’t see why anyone would give this title less than 10/10.

3WR: GEE PEE YOUUU
RadicalDog

Post by RadicalDog »

Rescue Mission is fantastic. It acknowledges that you want to play it sat down with controller in hand, and leads you through some bright and joyful worlds.

I will say it bums me out that there's no PC and Playstation cross-compatible VR, as it's a big investment where you either miss out on the Sony games stable (Astro Bot, Ghost Giant), or the many PC VR exclusives!
AGoodJo

Post by AGoodJo »

I played through the entirety of Playroom a few days after I got my PS5 on release day, collecting the platinum. The use of the controller haptics and a dose of nostalgia in a terrific looking game was a great introduction to the system. Soon afterwards I bought the PSVR on a deep sale bundled with Rescue Mission and I was happy to find more of the creative spirit which made Playroom so special. Both Rescue Mission and Playroom are fantastic games to show off the strengths of their respective systems. The each game is packed to the brim with fun new ideas which never outstay their welcome before moving on to the next. Im definitely looking forward to the next output from the developer.
Nicktendo

Post by Nicktendo »

During the dark days of lockdown in 2020, I came upon the opportunity to buy a PS5 and I needed something to cheer me up. I'm a self confessed Nintendo fanboy, yet have someone managed to have every PlayStation console so far.
I got the PS1 purely to play the final fantasy games. I got the PS2 because of the allure of playing DVDs (and a good amount of peer pressure). I got the PS3 because the last of us tantalised me and I got an excellent deal. I got the PS4 because the witness was an exclusive and my fondness of braid made me dive in.
Apologies for the historical detour, but when I feel nostalgic for videogames, my best memories are tied to the 64, GameCube and Wii. The PlayStation consoles were always second fiddle.
Until playing Astros playroom, I never realised how nostalgic I felt for PlayStation. Turns out I am. From rembering the multi tap, to the details of the controllers, to the sounds of the startups screens of each console. PlayStation has convertly embedded itself in my memories.
Astros playroom, while envolking of nostalgia is in its own right a brilliant 3d platformer which showcases the dualsense controller perfectly. Astro controls like Mario and his personality is adorable. The level design is short and sweet yet the allure of finding all the hidden Easter eggs makes for great replayability. I only wish the game was longer after getting platinum with 5 hours playtime.
But the absolute best part is the "can't get out of your head" music and songs. I'm your GPU, just by typing it now has gotten stuck in my head yet again.
This game arrived for me at a time where I needed to feel that things were getting better. And it was the perfect medicine. I hope we see more of playstations robotic mascot outside of the surely upcoming PSVR2 game.
TWR: PlayStation's Robotic Mario
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

I just played Astro's Playeoom because I don't have VR. That being said tt's just a fantastic game that does a great job showing you what the PS5 and it's controller can do with an absurdly joyous vibe. It didn't really inspire any nostalgia for me, since the PS4 was my first console, but it was a fun ride.