Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Thomas Ell

Re: 525: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Post by Thomas Ell »

After many months of isolation and not seeing my friends, having something daft we could do together every night after work whilst locked down in tier 3 was the tonic me and my friends needed. We still have our Messenger group listing our total crowns, I’ll forever be stuck on two.
RadicalDog

Post by RadicalDog »

I played this from PS+, and even though I enjoyed the gameplay, I struggled to enjoy the whole package. It suffered from low variety, when it would have been quite easy to make the obstacle courses have procedural variants - perhaps seesaws in different places, different slime climb obstacles, and so on. On the other hand, Fall Guys learned from Rocket League and had a whole cosmetic shop fully mature by day 1, showing where the priorities lay.

Ultimately, after a few hours I'd seen what this package contained and I never felt compelled back by the updates. It was an absolutely brilliant idea that could have become a perennial chart topper if only they had put as much care into the replayability as the cosmetics.
MattL

Post by MattL »

I am not much of an online gamer. I much prefer the relaxation of playing games alone after a long day of work to unwind, but the concept of a battle royale obstacle course game was too intriguing to me not to try when it came out on PS+. I was immediately hooked. While the number of courses was smaller than I would've expected, each seemed carefully crafted and almost all had me biting my nails as I tried to fight for all those crowns. Unfortunately for Fall Guys, I'm now in a position where there are so many good games vying for my attention, that I haven't played it in probably 8 months, but that does not take away that it's one of my favorite gaming experiences in the last 5 years.
Wuqinglong

Post by Wuqinglong »

I played Fall Guys around launch and had a relatively good time with it; even manged to nab a crown during my brief stint with the game. Like others have echoed here though, the lack of variety made me shelve this after a while. I returned once to see some of the new content but it wasn't enough to remove the feeling of repetition that slowly but surely pushed me to seek other experiences. Fan of the controls and concept but as RadicalDog mentioned the cosmetics felt like they had far more attention given to them over the longevity of the experience.

3 word review: Ample Untapped Potential
Alex79

Re: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

Post by Alex79 »

I've only played a couple of hours of this since it went free to play this week, mainly on Switch. I've found it to be fun so far, and played duos with one of my boys which was, well, we played a lot of first rounds is what we did. I can see this being a game I dip in and out of when the mood takes me for a good while. I've only managed to get to the final round twice, but not bagged a crown yet. I am pretty good at the Speed Circuit stage though, I've come first place in that one a couple of times now.

I think I've probably missed the deadline for the show, but will be listening with interest!