Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
KarlDaFrog

Re: 523: Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator

Post by KarlDaFrog »

Dream Daddy was a game I played with some of my non-gaming friends. Visual novels require relatively low reaction times and it felt like a good way to show my friends how wide the genre pool of games is nowadays. It was also an exercise in seeing what representation in games looks like on game outwardly exclaiming “THIS IS GAY”, with a couple of friends and drinks.

We followed through on only one guy, perhaps showing a monogamist’s bias, and perhaps an unfamiliarity with dating simulators. I think the intent is to experience each of the dateable dad’s storylines on multiple dates, living out the fantasy of being the most eligible bachelor, and then choosing one at the end. What actually happened was a discussion about why we would get involved with a married man, a mean loner drinker, someone with a hyperfixation on the Victorean era, or an overly competitive man. Perhaps these traits are attractive to others, but our friend circle quickly closed in on Mat or Hugo as the ideal dad. And once we all decided that it would be complicated to date our daughter’s teacher, who was kind of being a dick about language, we quickly honed in on Mat and “ended” the game in a couple hours.

With the caveat that I’m not a gay dad, I think the game handles representation well, but understand the criticism that the dads rarely talk about their sexual orientation and identity or the difficulties that queer people have in a society that frames straight as “normal”. There were times that I felt like the game was tip toeing around any kind of any expression of the difficulties of being queer and had a “Disneyland” cleanliness schmear applied. However, the game is also serving as a fantasy, where the struggles of getting into college, family communication, and the loss of a loved one are real, but eight fathers all being up to shag the new dad in town is possible. The non-canon Escape From Margarita Zone ending hints at the improbability of this.

Regarding representation, I wonder how many fathers actually worked on the game? My impression is that this is a relatively small development team and the game feels much more like an expression of how 20-30 year olds perceive their fathers or how they would behave themselves as fathers, and not necessarily a game “for dads, by dads”. Of course there is a wealth of much higher budget “paternally-themed” games, such as The Last of Us and God of War, but for a game with “Dad” on the cover, I wonder how actual dads feel about their representation in this game.

The writing is extremely late-2010s. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you’re not on board for sarcasm, self reflection on your dad’s cringe, and dad puns you probably won’t be able to get through the game. The relationship between you and your daughter is a real high point, and Amanda is a more emotionally intelligent teenager than most of my mates in their 30s. Music references and cultural touch points seem locked in time, especially since time has accelerated post 2020, but when watching some Let’s Plays, the language tickles my nostalgia bone just a little.

I love when games take a crack at something specific and this title feels lovingly crafted. The gaming industry is better with Dream Daddy in it. Also the title screen music is great, I still have that “DreeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeeaaam Daddy” echoing in my skull.