Chicory: A Colorful Tale

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Chicory: A Colorful Tale for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Buskalilly

Re: 518: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Post by Buskalilly »

I heard a lot about this in the lead-up to last year's GOTY season and decided I had to give it a go. It did very little for me - the game was pretty boring and slow, and the story didn't speak to me. I heard someone say it made them think about impostor syndrome, but I'm one of those obnoxious people who was born with infinite confidence, so maybe that's why it never clicked?

I have heard that it opens up and becomes much more of a "game" in the second half, so I may force myself to back to it eventually, but for now I'll say it was as boring as watching paint dry.
NoMoreSpearows

Re: Our next podcast recording (7.5.22) - 518: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Chicory: A Colorful Tale is one of a select few games that encourages not perfection, but simply the best that a player can achieve. Yes, there is a win state, an ultimate goal in mind, but the way to get there is so open to interpretation that even if someone struggles with a puzzle here and there, simply exploring the world and making it a little more personalized can provide some relief. It is inherently playful, reminding me of my very young childhood messing around on Kid Pix and seeing what's available.

The ingenious quality that Chicory has is that you also aren't forced to actually paint the world if you don't want to. I loved the monochromatic design, the way thick and thin lines contrasted to make everything pop out like you'd see in Plok or Yoshi's Island, and knowing that I could just erase a bit of paint I swam through or used for a boost in height was oddly reassuring, not just in the sense of fixing mistakes but accepting that black and white has just as much beauty as a world full of color.

Also the custom shirt is amazing, because I got to watch several characters go out on the town with a top adorned with my chicken-scratch writing of "ONE COOL GUY", and that's just something worth treasuring.