Kentucky Route Zero

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Kentucky Route Zero

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Kentucky Route Zero for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Sage + Onion Knight

Re: 512: Kentucky Route Zero

Post by Sage + Onion Knight »

I'm obviously really glad that people can enjoy Kentucky Route Zero as a full experience, but there's something bittersweet about the fact that no-one will be able to experience it like I did over the slow episodic release period. It sounds pretentious to say but it suited the feel of the game so well for it to be this strange thing that would emerge every so often, before folding back away like one of its own theatre set-like locations.

My experience with it in that respect is admittedly very subjective. I was first interested in the game because it was so in line with my tastes – the nods to modernist literature and magical realism, the haunting ambient electronic soundtrack, the fascination with things like tapes and old TVs, the warped Americana – and, as the years went on, it, like a great work in any art form, served as a gateway to so many other things. The game directly and indirectly inspired me to check out an array of films, books, records, etc. It also helped me to better understand my own creative voice in terms of writing and making music, and even presented me with a way of thinking about the wider world that really resonated with me.

The game was like a strange, beautiful, unsettling recurring dream during a particularly uncertain and anxious time in my life. When it ended, there was a genuine sense of having lost something – even though Kentucky Route Zero ultimately contributed so much to my life and mindset. That's only scratching the surface of why it's one of my all-time favourite games.
Granny7989

Post by Granny7989 »

I was curious about Kentucky Route Zero when I colleage recommended it to me a few years ago.

As the game is episodic, I waited until all of the episodes were released before I purchased my copy from GOG.

Sadly, I don't have much to say about the game. While I have a soft spot for games that are a little odd and unconventinal, I had trouble keeping engaged with KDZ. It felt like it was being weird for the sake of weird, which I feel that I'm being incredibly reductive with that opinion. However, I only got as far as finising the first act before refunding the game, so it's fair to say that I didn't give the game a fair shake.

I'm eager to hear the podcast and contributers have to say about the game; I am open to being convinced to giving the game another try, if the majority are feeling positive towards the game.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I tried with Kentucky Route Zero, I really did. I think I finished three episodes before throwing the towel in. I usually like these sorts of games, I played Oxenfree not long before and was hoping for something similar; but I was left underwhelmed.

I can't explain what my distaste, but I mostly found myself just not caring about any of the characters or anything that was happening. It felt like a random assortment of sketches that left me cold and confused. As with anything that tries to mimic a David Lynch/Twin Peaks style, it fails to understand his approach to creativity and, ultimately, just thinks being weird is all you need. I'm all for alternative presentations to storytelling, but Kentucky Route Zero felt like it was just wasting my time and mocking me with a bunch of pretentious nonsense. It came across as a game for people who actually enjoy reading Pitchfork music reviews.

It looks good. I think the art style is striking and adds to the atmosphere the developers are trying to aim for. But that's all I add in terms of positives. I'm happy to be told that I'm wrong, but I don't think this will be one I'll be rushing back to.
Sage + Onion Knight

Post by Sage + Onion Knight »

I’m kind of surprised at all the comparisons to Lynch here. Though David Lynch is certainly an influence, I think what I always liked about KRZ is that it *isn’t* trying to be Lynchian. Where I find so many openly Lynch-influenced games to be kind of insultingly surface-level (‘Virginia’ was this, for me), KRZ strikes me as very careful and respectful of the wide array of influences that it draws on - early computer games, magical realist literature, experimental video art, electronic music, etc. - and synthesises them into something that, for me, really holds up as very much its own contribution to those many interweaving conversations.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've only played the first three episodes of this game, but I instantly loved the graphical style as well as the slightly off-kilter atmosphere of the game. Magical realism is a, I don't know what to call it, genre? Mechanic? Storytelling device? But anyway, it's something I always enjoy in fiction, and this - at least as far as I've played, does it just right. I'm looking forward to making my way through the to rest of the game as soon as I have time.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

So I’ve been off work the past week having contracted COVID for the first time. Not bad having avoided it for 2 years! So I got KRZ from Gamepass having seen it was up for this season of Cane and Rinse.

During my time off, I’ve had a terrible time with a high temperature for a couple of days and I have to say that large parts of this game certainly felt like a fever dream. Seems rather normal, if not a bit artsy and mysterious at first, then we’re driving in a big circle with floating symbols in it, there’s these glowing skeleton dudes who seem alright but are really just symbols for oppressive capitalism, we’re on a tugboat underground, fixing a computer that somehow works in this underground cavern, there’s a dog with a hat, a massive eagle called Julian…

At face value, the story was interesting enough and had its little moments of glory amongst the dark, mossy dreich that bogged down the rest of it.

The songs and hymns i’d stop and listen to. They made for a wonderful time, especially Junebug and Johnny’s concert at the bar that allowed the player to come up with the song itself.

In all honesty though, I found myself skipping through most of the text by chapter 3/4 and if it wasn’t for wishing to complete this for the podcast, I’d have given up after (or during) that long-winded interlude The Entertainment. Perhaps if I’d played it at the time of its release when I had time to wait for the next part to come out I wouldn’t be so quick to want to mash through it or perhaps playing it while sick and inpatient didn’t help, I’m not sure.

Another issue I had was that the only character I felt any real connection to was Conway and thanks to the illusion of choice, he buggers off in part four leaving me with a cast of people I didn’t feel all that much for anyway.

I really wanted to enjoy this!

I do feel I understood it’s message and I didn’t miss all that much skipping a couple of weeks worth of dialogue. The strength of community versus the tyranny of capitalism and the addictive oppression over humans who will bend backwards to pay their debts. Etc.

I just think it’s a story that would have held my interest more if there was more option for Conway’s fate and the story was told over 3 chapters. 4 at most. Just my two pennies’ worth!

3WR: Enjoyed the songs!
Kasuga-san

Re: Our next podcast recording (26.3.22) - 512: Kentucky Route Zero

Post by Kasuga-san »

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people don't seem to care for Kentucky Route Zero. It's a work that isn't afraid to be weird and dense. It's definitely something that forces the question of what constitutes a game instead of an interactive art piece. Honestly, I don't care because I loved my time with it whether it was exploring the mines and the history of the company's exploitation of the miners, a museum of homes, underground waterways, dealing with bureaucracy, or just taking a moment at an underground restaurant. It's a group of people hitting the road, trying to find purpose in a world that tosses the things and people aside that are considered obsolete. I feel that it's a modern American folktale with many influences and historical references that may just be too much or not engaging enough for those who don't know what to do with something like this. It's not a knock against those who don't care for it nor is it a problem with the work itself. Also, that concert at the bar and the doggo are definitely two of the high points:)
DeadpoolNegative

Re: Our next podcast recording (26.3.22) - 512: Kentucky Route Zero

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

The operative word for Kentucky Route Zero is "haunting".

A year or so ago I bought The TV Edition on a PS4 sale, having heard so many good things about it during its long serialization. The game starts strange and stays strange, but it also becomes disturbing and disorienting as it goes along. Sometimes it's a little to obtuse for its own good- i legitimately had a hard time progressing in some areas, and by the end I couldn't help but feel maybe the writers were just throwing things against the wall in the hopes that it might stick.

and yet... when you finish the game in a place you probably wouldn't expect to be, with people you've come to know intimately, like Johnny, Junebug, Shannon, Clara, the kid, and the ill-fated Conway, you're satisfied. There's lots of memorable moments in Kentucky Route Zero, but more than that, there's memorable people. You end the game hoping that they'll all be okay. And that's an accomplishment. And hopefully with the game hitting GamePass, many others will take a ride on the route. I know I plan to.

And Kasuga's right- the concert at the bar is the high point.

--Dan
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I loved this game so much.

It's a very immersive game. The world feels real, especially when you play with all the interludes which act as little vignettes of the broader world outside the scope of the main game. I love the one where you're listening to an automated information hotline about the Echo River.
Sage + Onion Knight wrote: like a great work in any art form, served as a gateway to so many other things
I definitely agree with this. I remember after getting to the end of the game, I was inspired to check out the "The Death of the Hired Man" poem by Robert Frost, and being really impressed with how that final interlude echoed the events of the poem in-game.

I understand those who have said it's pretentious, but I think there's enough genuine heart in this game that it pulls it off. The moment Conway fully transformed into a neon skeleton figure and drifted off to Hard Times Distillery was very sad. He spent the majority of the game struggling against all these obstacles, and this time he just didn't have the energy left to resist it. The final chapter with the hymn at the end for the burial of "The Neighbours" really hit me in the feels too. There is a lot of love in this game.

3WR: Weird Road Trip!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Kentucky Route Zero

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just a heads-up that if the thread is in the main discussion folder here, the podcast has already been recorded.

Always good to have more feedback on a game, regardless.
DeadpoolNegative

Re: Kentucky Route Zero

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Finally started my second play through, only on XBox GamePass. Man, that opening scene is freaky. I forgot about the glow in the dark die.

--Dan