Life Is Strange - Cane and Rinse 277

Archive for issues 251 - 300
JaySevenZero
Admin

Life Is Strange - Cane and Rinse 277

Post by JaySevenZero » July 17th, 2017, 5:04 pm

“No wonder they call it a ‘web’ – nothing can ever get out.”

Time travel is complicated. When time travel is the best hope you have of finding a missing friend, as it is in Life Is Strange, it’s even more of a minefield. When you take all of that and add in high school drama… well, then it becomes hella crazy. Join Leah Tony, Jay and Josh as they follow the story of Max Caulfield and Chloe Price through five episodes of Dontnod Entertainment’s tale, and discuss the choices they made along the way.

Music used in this issue:

1: Max & Chloe by Jonathan Morali

Cane and Rinse 277 was edited by Jay Taylor.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

SnakeyDave

Re: Life Is Strange - Cane and Rinse 277

Post by SnakeyDave » July 18th, 2017, 10:51 am

Caulfield?...Subtle.

Looking forward to listening to this one.

Tleprie

Post by Tleprie » July 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm

This was one of my favorite issues covering one of my favorite games. I was grinning like a madman as Josh went on his rant, both at the story in general, and again when he condemned all of us who made the (correct) choice of sacrificing the Bay.

I loved this issue because, aside from it being immensely entertaining, it made me get a bit introspective. Why did I love the characters and the writing so much? I like to think I have good tastes when it comes to entertainment and art.

There's the reason I mentioned in my post for the recording, that at the time I first played it I was only a year and a half out of high school, and was considering switching from a very technical major to an art focused one. Being surrounded not only by strangers (that's sort of hard to avoid at college), but strange new strangers, people who both made me feel at home and inadequate.

I saw myself in Max. Why the hell was I trying to make art? Everyone else had seemingly been following their passions for their whole life, while I had just been doodling in notebooks for a few years and decided that was enough of a push to basically throw out three semesters of computer science, just as I'd thrown out four years of engineering classes before that.

So that's probably one reason I love Life Is Strange so much.
The other is the manner in which I played.

I had seen advertisements for the game's complete physical release late 2015 or perhaps early 2016, but I had little interest. I try to limit how many games I buy just to save myself money that I barely have and time that I shouldn't give myself. My money saving strategy is a simple question that I ask myself: "Does this game have the potential to be better than Bloodborne?" After a minute of contemplation with 95% of games the answer usually comes non-vocally in the form of me putting the game back down. (NOTE: this system has a much lower rate of success in the Steam and PSN ((especially Vita)) digital ecosystems. Your results may vary depending on your own life experiences with time, money, and Bloodborne. Do not attempt buying video games while driving or operating heavy machinery. Consult a doctor if you find yourself in a GameStop for longer than four hours)

So how did I come to change my mind so much that I bought that same physical release that I had seen advertised just one paragraph ago? My brother has fewer reservations when it comes to buying full price, and more importantly, long story driven games. He bought the game and I along with his girlfriend watched as he played the first two episodes.
The concept, story, characters, and style sold me on seeing how the rest of this played out, but the soundtrack is what sold me on buying my own copy, which led me to playing the game for myself, with a friend watching and helping.

I think that is the magic sauce to my experience with Life Is Strange: experiencing it with someone else. Rather than be angry at the game's over-the-top angsty writing, we celebrated it. It was a meme, and there's little I love more than a good meme. Every 'hella' got a round of applause, and the constant re-shuffling and debate over who was bae (it was of course Chloe, Kate, and until episode 5, Mark Jefferson) kept us driven to keep going.

But beyond adding a new piece of media into our lexicon of quotable things, Life Is Strange did legitimately grab us. I don't know what percentage of the pie graph is the music, how much is made up by the characters, or the size of the chunk consisting of themes. There's probably at least one or two slivers of other things, but I'm thinking now that an out-of-the-blue pie graph analogy may not have been the best approach.
Regardless, we were hooked.

The second time I fully experienced the game was last month, with two friends who knew nothing about it. This time I wasn't behind the wheel, and I kept my mouth shut, except when they got frustrated with mundane puzzles. The friend who was actually playing the game was definitely more down on the writing than I had been. The first episode didn't compel him to immediately play the next, as it did with me, but after a week or two he went back to it, and I think by the end of episode two he was much more hooked. By the start of episode 4 his feelings on Chloe had changed.

I'm not saying that by playing this game with other people, everyone will instantly love it, but it's much harder, at least for me, to be down on something that I'm sharing with my friends.

Anyway, thanks Leah, Josh, Tony, and Jay for a wonderful issue, and for giving me something to think and write about.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 22nd, 2017, 10:13 am

What a great episode, and Leah did a fantastic job hosting.

It was a really weird one to listen to. I enjoyed Life Is Strange so much, to hear Joshua really slating it so badly actually drew an emotional reaction from me very rarely felt whilst listening to a podcast! I kept thinking 'No! It's good!!!', whilst being completely unable to counter any of his points. This is a good thing. I think for a podcast to be able to provoke such strong feelings from their listeners, well you must be doing something right!

Oh - and I sacrificed the town. Every last one of them. Selfish till the end. :lol:

macstat

Post by macstat » July 23rd, 2017, 7:15 am

This is one of those games that everybody hates and I just can't get into. Or I should rather say, every time I think I'm starting to like it they do something to really put me off. I managed to go halfway through the second episode.
My main reason why I don't like it are the dialogs and overall teen drama vibe. Every time I hear conversations "and she was like ..." I just roll my eyes. On the other hand, they often try to show those kids as smart and use words or sentences that are over those characters head. A bit of dissonance here.

I'm looking forward to listening to this one. Maybe you're gonna convince me to give it another go.
"A man who never eats pork bun is NEVER a whole man" - Pork buns vendor

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 23rd, 2017, 8:28 am

macstat wrote:
July 23rd, 2017, 7:15 am
This is one of those games that everybody hates and I just can't get into.
:?:

macstat

Post by macstat » July 23rd, 2017, 6:20 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
July 23rd, 2017, 8:28 am
macstat wrote:
July 23rd, 2017, 7:15 am
This is one of those games that everybody hates and I just can't get into.
:?:
ofc i ment "loves" instead of "hates" :D that's what i get for writing a post right after i wake up :P

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 23rd, 2017, 6:50 pm

There are plenty of people who do hate LIS though.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 23rd, 2017, 7:58 pm

Really enjoyed this episode. Great job Leah, and the boiling Garrity geyser reminded me of Jay with Heavy Rain. Quite rare to have a bit of venom on C&R and I rather enjoyed it!

macstat

Post by macstat » July 24th, 2017, 12:12 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
July 23rd, 2017, 6:50 pm
There are plenty of people who do hate LIS though.
Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive to very positive (each episode graded separately). Metacritic 83-85 (PC, consoles) - critics, 8.6 - users . I would say it's pretty positive reception.
I've seen some talks on Reddit, twitters and such a while back but I would still expect it to be a vocal minority. LIS was a fairly high profile game with (from what I gathered having played only a fraction of the game and seeing some conversations) some ambiguity about main characters orientation. That by itself makes this game a "perfect battlefield" between very vocal groups with extreme views on that subject. I personally tend to dismiss them cause it rarely in sync with what normal people tend to think, and also it just happens everytime those people get an excuse to spew their nonsense onto a forum or comment section.
Unless you had something else in mind, that I might have overlooked :). Feel free to correct me.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 24th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Yeah but a game can have a very high average review score and be well liked by a lot of people (most people in fact) and still have plenty of people who didn't like it. Joshua definitely didn't like it, and it sounded like Tony wasn't that positive either. Take GTA V for example, one of the highest rated games of all time, but there are plenty of people on forums (including this one) who really disliked the game.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 24th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Precisely Alex.

Surely if there's one thing we've learned from hundreds of Cane and Rinse podcasts is that tastes vary wildly and that almost every game is someone's all-time favourite 'Best Game Ever' and someone else's hated 'Worst Game Ever'.

We acknowledge 'critical consensus' because it gives us a sense of context, but ultimately it's meaningless compared to one's own experience.

The opinions on the Life Is Strange podcast are all genuine, all (presumably) representative of others and very much divided.

Worth a listen (once you've played the game)!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 24th, 2017, 12:37 pm

It probably was the most split I've ever heard the team, I can't think of another game where opinion ranged from such an extreme to the other.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 24th, 2017, 12:49 pm

When I refer to Cane and Rinse helping us to understand how opinion is always divided (about every game ever), I'm also including community correspondence in that.

As you say re GTAV, there are those who have less good things to say about even games that were the most overwhelmingly positively received overall.

In my view, these experiences and opinions shouldn't be summarily dismissed as those of people with an agenda of some kind. Different people just like different things, and that's exactly what the show is all about in the end.

In saying that, we never engineer a panel to have a spread of opinions, although some listeners say that they would prefer this. There are a number of good reasons why we don't - one being that even if we thought it was the 'right' thing to do, it would be practically impossible to implement.

macstat

Post by macstat » July 24th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Data scientist in me has to disagree with you ;). I mean "plenty" should be based on fraction and not on observed counts. The problem with looking at counts is that we might overestimate or underestimate actual dissatisfaction. If we look long enough we will find people that are unhappy (like me or people with agenda) but if they are an overwhelming minority I think it's safe to say that there aren't many of them, we just looked long enough to gather sufficient amount. It's not about dismissing other people opinions, just acknowledging I'm in minority with my feelings.

But it's just a technicality at this point :p I'm definitely gonna give it a listen soon ;) Especially now that i hear it's pretty divided.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » July 24th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
July 22nd, 2017, 10:13 am
What a great episode, and Leah did a fantastic job hosting.

It was a really weird one to listen to. I enjoyed Life Is Strange so much, to hear Joshua really slating it so badly actually drew an emotional reaction from me very rarely felt whilst listening to a podcast! I kept thinking 'No! It's good!!!', whilst being completely unable to counter any of his points. This is a good thing. I think for a podcast to be able to provoke such strong feelings from their listeners, well you must be doing something right!

Oh - and I sacrificed the town. Every last one of them. Selfish till the end. :lol:
Pretty much was going to post what Alex already had. Great episode. I do like hearing strong views from the other side of the fence to mine as well as the positives.

Oxenfree is in the PSN sale so will pick this up as Josh piqued my curiosity about it as I'd never heard of it.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 24th, 2017, 10:34 pm

I’m surprised people haven’t heard of Oxenfree, I wouldn’t shut up about it on here for months when it first came out :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 25th, 2017, 8:24 am

I'd seen it on the store and assumed it was a puzzle game like The Witness or Ether One :lol:

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter » July 28th, 2017, 11:33 am

Oxenfree is the experience I wanted out of Life is Strange. Has its own flaws, but the writing is solid and characters aren't fundamentally bad people.

Thanks for the positive comments regarding my rant by the way. I was worried about the reaction to this one.

gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto » August 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Hi guys!
Life got really busy and I've been away for the last six months. I hope I'll soon have time to become a more active member of the community again though.

I just beat Life is Strange and listened to the podcast. I wanted to come throw my complete and unequivocal support behind Josh's opinion on Life is Strange. His line about the reception to the game being "baffling" is exactly how I felt as I played through the game. I was really excited for a story set in a high school about the friendship of two teenage girls and this game squanders everything about that potential.

Enough has already been said about the terrible dialogue, but I did want to address the "they're teenagers and teenagers are supposed to sound awkward" defense. I'm a high school teacher and NO ONE talks like these characters. I showed a couple of scenes to some of my students and they were openly groaning and facepalming. It is terrible, TERRIBLE writing.

Hope everyone is doing well!