Mario Kart 64 - Cane and Rinse 298

Archive for issues 251 - 300

Mario Kart 64 - Cane and Rinse 298

Post by JaySevenZero » December 11th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Cane and Rinse rejoins the race in 1996, as we review Mario Kart 64 – a wildly divisive entry in a much-loved but polarising series. Leon, Darren, Leah and Michiel discuss the transition from Mode 7 to polygons as well as many other significant (including some still controversial) alterations to mechanics and handling Nintendo made for this, their first kart sequel. As usual we also hear of the community’s love and hate for Mario Kart 64 when we collectively reminisce about fun and fury filled days and nights of blue shell shenanigans on the Nintendo 64 in the mid-late 90s, and beyond.

Music used in this issue:

1. Raceways by Kenta Nagata
2. Main Theme by Kenta Nagata

Cane and Rinse 298 was edited by Ryan Hamann.

You can subscribe using Apple Podcasts or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

Re: Mario Kart 64 - Cane and Rinse 298

Post by Stanshall » December 16th, 2017, 9:48 am

I was never a fan of this game but it made for a great show. Really interesting to hear the team try to get to grips with the controls and unusual feel of the game, and how that makes it work, or not, for different folks. It did make me think I'd like to give it another go, though, and see whether I could dig that skiddy analogue driving with twenty years of racing games to have learned from. I can understand now how that would feel exciting, the sense of careering round every corner, moments from a spin or crash. Coming off Super, which I found endlessly, delightfully, reassuringly chunky, 64 did feel very weird and unstable but from the show, I can see how that's part of its charm.

Funnily enough, I went round to my mate's last night, he's been unwell recently, and we played about twenty games over the course of the night. Along with ARMS, Super Mario Kart was the one which really got us going and cheered him up! Battle Mode has still got it.