Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS4)

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Jinkkai

Re: Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS4)

Post by Jinkkai »

Indeed, come on down. Fists are flying at this location!
Beck

Post by Beck »

What's the verdict on this version of Street Fighter? I was put off buying it after all the frame rate issues and input lag problems that were in the media?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

We're a few patches in now and despite barely noticing issues at launch the game felt better especially after the first patch. Latest patches have dealt with the audio balancing and if pressed I'd say it's exactly what I wanted with 20 hours put in since launch.

It still looks brilliant too which is odd since the base game should be the product of another age by now.

It may pop up in the sales at some point but if you really want some fun join me and the others where every game is fun (if dave doesn't choose honda). Mandatory dan selection after 3 consecutive wins of course.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hopefully I'll catch you guys online at some point and give me a whipping with my girl/boy Poison add me if you haven't added me my PSN is Domsbeard (of course)
Beck

Post by Beck »

Awesome, I'll hopefully catch some of you for a game shortly :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

OK so I had to lay out 107 quid but I now have a (glorious) Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai stick and USFIV for PS4.
:D
Beck

Post by Beck »

What's the verdict? Have you always played stick over controller? I've never really played with an arcade stick but friends who do have said they have found they play better?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've been using arcade sticks for fighting games and 2D shoot 'em ups since time immemorial (late 70s/early 80s if you go back to the arcades).

I've got quite a collection and they're some of my favourite gaming items.

The Real Arcade Pro Kai is a particularly fine model, and I was happy to get it for £86 when its RP is $300.

All that said, one of the best Street Fighter IV players in the world uses a modified PSone pad so you know, it's not necessarily an essential!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Speaking of ultra, just got home and fancy a few fights if anyone's interested. Grim is on holiday and jinkkai is at work, could postpone to later if we can get a small group together
Beck

Post by Beck »

I've barely had a chance to play, I'll be online tonight so I'll try and get it downloaded :)

It's a tough decision, there are moves I can't do on a controller without remapping buttons. I've never been able to use the left shoulder buttons with the d pad at the same time so I end up mapping the lk-mk-hk and lp-mp-hp buttons to the right side and not using the HK and HP. I'm also totally hopeless with any character that requires opposite directional moves such as Guile and E Honda. I just can't get my head round how they work, or how long I need to hold one direction before I can flip it to pull of a special.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Brilliant, I'll make sure I'm around. Trying to get all my packing done early for my house move next week but I'll keep an eye on messages.

I think the game already maps the hard attacks to R1 and R2 and plays quite well with the pad. I know charge characters can be a bit frustrating to get the hang of but if you get used to playing a defensive game the attacks you'll end up blocking will most likely give you ample time to charge the move when you hit back. You'll need to get into a game with Jinkkai, he's really good at making an offensive charge and things like charging during a jump and light combo can make you lethal.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

haha, Don't listen to Leddy. it's all pure dumb luck! I tend to have the same problems hitting the L1+2 buttons on the pad ever since SNES. What i do is to take my right hand off the face buttons and quickly use your index finger to hit L buttons. It helps when I do a charge characters special or ultra. Another thing that is great to learn for charge characters is "Charge Buffering" once you get it you'll end up pulling out those charge moves faster. Unless of course I'm on a stick, can't do jack diddly on a stick. Would love to get a tourney going at some point.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Sorry Mike, the missus hit our router with the hoover over the weekend and it's flaking out hard. I've just upgraded to Fibre but it will be a couple weeks before I have a stable connection again =/
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Any Street Fighters haven't added me on PSN yet I'm RatsoAlbion.

I also still have the game on 360 where I'm Ratso Albion.

Feel free to ping me an invite. I may or may not be on mic comms but I'd love to play you!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Hopefully you're up late at night, I'm on late shifts for my final week of work and then without a net connection for 2 weeks (though I have saved 4.5gb of 4g).

Just to let you know I'm already training against Blanka in preparation for a potential upset.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha, I'm not very good really - I'm sure you'll beat me with ease.

I can be up late this Thursday if you're around.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sure, would be great.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ver. 1.04 is out now and it's all good (as far as I can see):
“PRESS START” replaced with “PRESS OPTIONS”
‘Skip’ function mapped to Cross Button during cinematics
Default character costume colors 11 & 12 are now unlocked
Anisotropic Filtering improved on all stages and characters
Anti-Aliasing added on all stages and characters
Reduced pixelation on various UI elements
Multiple audio balancing fixes
Addressed multi-hit audio issues
Increased resolution of visual effects
Sonic Boom graphical fix
Fixed multiple localization and font issues
Improved save functionality performance
The PS4 version now finally seems to play* (and sound) the equal of the 360 version but with clearly superior visuals.

*I understand that there may still be concerns over input lag in comparison to the still tournament-standard 360 version, to the tune (now) of 0.2 frames.
As a low level player - but as a big fan who has played every version of SF for the past 24 years - this version of the game feels fabulous to me.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I have a rare free evening tomorrow (Thursday) so if anyone is around for some PS4 Street Fighting action feel free to give me a nudge.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

If a fight night is going to happen tomorrow, count me in!