Splatoon 2

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Suits

Re: Splatoon 2

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 18th, 2018, 8:28 am On the other hand the expansion is reviewing at 80% currently, so your opinion may differ.
Yeah, I certainly expect to play it at some point.

It's just disheartening to hear someone that's a fan of the game to be so downbeat about it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m finding the expansion to be fun, but in places overly difficult. Not a very even curve going on, and in a few places I think the stages might actually just be badly designed. (If a game has a system for letting you skip stages, it suggests the developers recognise this too)

But if you want a challenge, it’s certainly that. Much harder than the single player campaigns.

If you see people playing the multi player as an Octoling, they’ve *earned* it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I appreciate that my 'review' was a bit glib but I'm finding it to be no fun at all. I never played more than half an hour of the first game's campaign and I've probably played even less of the sequel's SP so I suppose I don't really jive with this as a single player experience, and I've certainly not put the time in to appreciate these new missions in the context of what the vanilla missions offer. I've found the first dozen levels to vary between pointlessly easy and randomly impossible. Disclaimer: I am also shite at the game. I saw elsewhere somebody claiming Super Mario Galaxy tiers of creativity and imagination. I will persist on the chance that this is more than hyperbole because - God knows - I love that game, but that level of brilliance seems to be a pipe dream away at this point, pun wholeheartedly intended.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m not sure why you bought a single player expansion for a game where you haven’t really played the single player it already had?

There’s nothing here (apart from playing as an Octoling, which is cosmetic) that affects the multi player at all.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Oh, I'm just that kind of guy.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Me too Stanshall, me too!
:)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Heh.

The games main single player mode is better than the dlc. The dlc does feel like it’s made for speed runners.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote: June 19th, 2018, 11:14 am Heh.

The games main single player mode is better than the dlc. The dlc does feel like it’s made for speed runners.
Also made I think for that niche subset of those who prefer to play multiplayer with AI bots rather than other humans. They do exist - our Ryan - who currently works at Nintendo of course - is one of them.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I don’t think it adds that as a free form option. One or two of the levels so far have been bot battles, but they’ve been approximations of the MP. I’ve not had any AI allies in the ones I’ve seen so far.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sure, but some bot battles is exactly what Ryan (for example) was crying out for.
I don't really get it but there you are, horses for courses and all that.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some of the stages in the games original single player mode were bot battles as well.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The excellent Christian Donlan gives the dlc a hearty recommendation over on Eurogamer today: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... ion-review
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote: June 19th, 2018, 11:48 am Some of the stages in the games original single player mode were bot battles as well.
Some more then.
;)
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

Nah, I thought Octo Expansion was leagues better than Hero Mode (which I thought was a bit of a letdown, admittedly).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I really enjoyed the single player, it's long, varied, challenging and fun (albeit infuriating at times). Not sure why it isn't more lauded to be honest, but it's not the main selling point of the game I guess. I think it's a bit like Titanfall 2 in that respect.

If anyone here is still playing this, I'm hooked on the multiplayer now and playing most nights for a bit when the family have gone to bed.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ooooo, I’d be tempted to jump back in.

I’d be up for some Salmon run actually that rather fun as a group.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Let's do it! I've finished my salmon run training so I think I'm good to go with that. I fancy trying it out
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sweet.

We can mess about with that stupid app for the chat too if you like.

I’ve not played in well over a year so I’ll have to get my “I’m using tilt controls” aim back 😎.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ha OK that sounds good actually - I've not tried the revolutionary "use your phone to talk to someone" app yet so it would be quite novel to do so at some point :D

A couple of mates joined me last night in the turf war mode (they're under rank 10) so we'll see who comes on tonight but there's every chance it could just be me. I'll probably be on 9:30 - 10pm, for an hour or two but I do have responsibility for the boy in the evenings till bed so I am known to have to dash off if he stirs. Only happened once last night and it's not so bad with Splatoon really.

Edit: Tilt controls eh? So people actually use those? I did for a bit then settled fully with normal analogue control after adjusting sensitivity etc
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m out on the razzle tonight(now actually🤪) - so I can’t tonight.

Pick a date and I’ll be there though 😉.

Yep, I’ll play with anyone, it’s all good, I’m rubbish anyway.

Yeah, motion controls in Splatoon are a powerful man. Powerful.