Super Mario Maker 2 - **1st Page For Community Level Codes**

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Toon Scottoon

Re: Super Mario Maker 2 - **1st Page For Community Level Codes**

Post by Toon Scottoon »

I've given 2 thirty or so minute goes on the prickly stage Suits and I'm not quite there. Died in the final funnel a few times, but I still can't consistently get through the second choke point where that Toad comment is. Having fun with the challenge though and it's making me think about design, in particular the gold leaf of shame you get in 3D World if you die a couple of times, and how I might have been tempted if that had been around in this one. :) Way to keep us going strong.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, good stuff man, great to hear, cheers.

I normally create adventure type levels but wanted something a bit quick and simple - but tricky.

The balance of making something tricky but fun is real.

I'm probably the worst athletic player of my SMM friends, so most of them beat this in a matter of minutes.

And that 2nd choke point that you speak of, my mate sent me a video of him clearing this level and he did that bit in a way I never imagined :lol: .

Keep at it man, you'll do it 8-) .
Suits

Post by Suits »

New Ninji Speed Run challenge is up.

This entry is back to the more simple Mario style as opposed to the previous Zelda one.

It’s a down to the bottom and backup race.

I set a rough time and will slowly chip away at it now.

Gotta get those revolving gold stars on my avatar again 🤩.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Suits wrote: January 11th, 2020, 8:36 am New Ninji Speed Run challenge is up.

This entry is back to the more simple Mario style as opposed to the previous Zelda one.

It’s a down to the bottom and backup race.

I set a rough time and will slowly chip away at it now.

Gotta get those revolving gold stars on my avatar again 🤩.
Sweet.

Managed to get into the top 10% again of the most recent Ninji Speedrun.

That's 3/3 gold badges now and I'm one more away from the next avatar item.

Currently working on a few more levels, got good feedback from my last endeavour.

The Twitter and reddit community around this game is wonderful and vibrant.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Gonna get back on this tonight

Where do I begin?
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:33 pm Gonna get back on this tonight

Where do I begin?
We will speak.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

We didn't speak
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: January 19th, 2020, 8:32 pmWe didn't speak
This is true.

I suppose for anyone trying to get in, or back in then, there are a few things that’ll help you discover the diamonds that this game has within it.

First, let’s focus Course World which is the user created levels mode.
  • Check in on the leader boards, this will throw up all types of popular levels. Puzzle, platforming, speed run, auto scroll, etc…. don’t be afraid to play something you normally wouldn’t if it’s getting high plays or likes.
  • Use the search tools, they work well. Most creators that make levels have a certain niche that they cover and will purposely utilise the tag system so that their levels are discoverable. Really good for finding more of what you like this is.
  • Following creators you like is critical. It removes the effort of remembering to check if they have released a new level and it simply comes up on your feed. Most the of the established creators release levels once a week or so, so if you put the time in to discover creators you like, you’ll soon be presented with new levels that you enjoy each time you log in. Also adding friends to your follow list should go without saying, as that way, as soon as they create a new level it comes up on your feed (it's very rewarding playing friends levels and watching them improve and develop).

Use the feedback tools.

If you like a level, like it.

If I don’t like a level I often don’t do anything.

If I get level that is full of soft locks, hidden blocks or death pipes – then I dislike it.

The game relies on this feedback but be fair with it.

Finally, remember that you’re ultimately looking for quick, fun, interesting levels. You’re not going to find a fully-fledged, Nintendo story in these user creator levels (as incredible as some are and sometimes do !).

If you’re at peace with this, then you’ll enjoy yourself.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm starting to want this game!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've only put twenty or thirty hours in, Haze, but it is an immensely brilliant game. I didn't last long but the creation and sharing and discussion is awesome, as well. I guess interest has faded a fair bit here now but as Suits said, I think the subreddit is meant to be booming. I keep meaning to jump back on and check out Suits' and Brian's levels, though. It's more fun when you know the folks who've made them.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Defeated Suits' hard level.

Felt just as satisfying as playing any other difficult platformer.

Slowly getting over my want for this game to have a meaning/purpose and just enjoy it for what it is. Fun.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

This might be the antithesis of what Dez mentioned above, but anybody have any interest in doing some 426 themed making for the upcoming episode? I'm going to scrape one together regardless, but I've really enjoyed playing the community levels.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Toon Scottoon wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:10 am This might be the antithesis of what Dez mentioned above, but anybody have any interest in doing some 426 themed making for the upcoming episode? I'm going to scrape one together regardless, but I've really enjoyed playing the community levels.
Yes, great idea 😎.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Send me the codes and i'll ch ch check it out
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Alright, my Cane and Rinse episode 426 level is up and ready to be broken by the C and R community.

Course ID is 1F8-DN3-W3G

Stay healthy
Suits

Post by Suits »

Toon Scottoon - I'll be all over that tomorrow mate.

In the mean time, not sure if anyone already follows Tobias Bergdorf but he creates some wpdefully helpful video on MM.

He puts together videos on each and every individual item, whats its properties are, how it works in certain scenarios, etc...

I can't wait to see what he thinks of all these new features :lol: .

Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Well at least we can say that someone has Caned and Rinsed the Pokey. Great video resource to share.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Suits wrote: April 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm
The map building (whilst cool), simply adds a package in which peoples levels are delivered as it were.
Saw your post on the podcast page Suits and thought I should bring that over here. Although this still might not be the right place. The thing I find most cool about the world builder is that it can make it so exploration and extra lives actually start to matter more in the way they do in the newer Mario games. Right now if I play your level or anyone else's I'm just racing the clock. This shakes that up in a cool way. I love the update. Has me back on the game in a major way.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Toon Scottoon wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:23 pm
Suits wrote: April 21st, 2020, 1:25 pm
The map building (whilst cool), simply adds a package in which peoples levels are delivered as it were.
The thing I find most cool about the world builder is that it can make it so exploration and extra lives actually start to matter more in the way they do in the newer Mario games. Right now if I play your level or anyone else's I'm just racing the clock. This shakes that up in a cool way. I love the update. Has me back on the game in a major way.
Dude, you are so right.

The problem is it still doesn’t matter - that much.

So currently, as it stands, once you lose all your lives on a level on World Mode, all you lose is the checkpoint on that (if it has one) and you have to start that level again, not the world.

It’s more than we had before and honestly, losing a checkpoint on a SMM level in itself is super punishing enough, I just thought maybe the lives would mean more.

But yeah, the World Mode is fantastic, having to think about the types, difficulty and local of your levels now and incorporate them into so sort of logical world is so much fun. So much.

It’s a game that celebrates creativity, I think it’s incredible 🤙🏽.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Oh Nintendo.

So, you can't just share your Super Worlds that you create in Super Mario Maker 2.

Unlike levels that you can pass around the codes for, the Worlds are only selectable via the creators profile, in the game.

If you have favourite creators that you follow on a game system level, (which is extremely recommended) you can check in to see/play their uploaded World.

Basically, you must follow the creator of the World you want to play.

I can see why they have chosen to do it this way but it would just be so much simpler to be able to share World codes around, instead it's maker ID's.

You can have six Worlds that you can save to your Nintendo Switch, but you can only upload one Super World at a time.

Another restriction is that you can only be playing one creators World at a time.

For instance, if you start a World that one of your followed creators has uploaded, the progress is saved, essentially allowing you to drop in and out when you like.

Starting another any other World that's not your own, will erase any progress and you'll have to start again.