DoDonPachi Resurrection September Tournament

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Stanshall

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection September Tournament

Post by Stanshall »

Just to confirm, Ikaruga was a joke a) because I've played it loads and b) because it's totally rigid in how it must be played.

I'd play any of your suggestions, Alex.

Something totally different would be Gradius. Ha! That's a genuine SwiftKey text suggestion. Shows where my life has gone...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I would defo be up for Batrider. I've only ever played a few runs, credit feeding my way through at Arcade Club and having a quick mess about via Retroarch/FB Alpha. Seems very easy to emulate these days. Looks fun and pretty straightforward in how it's played, in my limited experience.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

So this is where you're all hiding!

I'll play whatever you guys pick, but with a score battle we know how it'll go with this crowd. It might be nice to encourage some interaction beyond score battles or even compare experiences or other challenges or something to engage pondlife like myself. The minute you see an unfathomably high score on an already tough game it does take the wind out of your sails a bit. Is there a better way to do this?

Or just crack on, whatever floats your boat. I'll have fun regardless

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

To be honest, DDPR was a terrible choice in hindsight because there was a massive disparity in our individual familiarity with the game and it's really complex from a scoring POV. That's that.

If we make sure we pick something where progress = score, more or less, and one where we've all spent an equivalent amount of time with it, we'll have a good, even contest.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of emulation. That doesn't need to be a dealbreaker, however. I said I was taking a bit of a break from the genre at the moment so if you guys want to play something on MAME now might be the perfect time for it. Armed Police Batrider looks fun, why not that one?

And really, despite not being a great pick in retrospect, the reason I pushed for DDPR is that this was one of the very few games that we would all have access to. I don't think we'll find another universally available game of that pedigree any time soon, but I could be wrong.

Congrats on staying sober, man. Keep at it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 4th, 2019, 4:20 pm

And really, despite not being a great pick in retrospect, the reason I pushed for DDPR is that this was one of the very few games that we would all have access to. I don't think we'll find another universally available game of that pedigree any time soon, but I could be wrong.
I’m not keen on laying into the choice of DDPR like this - yeah the scoring is weird but it’s a brilliant game and I enjoyed playing it and am playing it now more as a result which is all I care about really. I was never going to be challenging whatever was picked. For me the same will be true of whatever you guys pick next.

DDPR is a great game and it wasn’t a terrible choice to get people playing it.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Let’s play this Batrider it’s been mentioned several times now! I’m gonna try it later
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

If and when you guys all decide on playing the same game, may I recommend making a separate thread in this sub-forum? It'll make it easier to follow.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Suits me. I always fancied giving it a more of a chance.