Self-imposed rules on buying games?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Self-imposed rules on buying games?

Post by HaloFandango »

I recently imposed a rule on myself, where I have to at least finish the games I currently own, before I buy any new games/systems. I have too many now and it at least gets me through my backlog without spending more money :P

I'll let you know how quickly I break this rule. :lol:

How about everyone else, have you got any rules/guidelines you stick to when buying games?
duskvstweak

Re: Self-imposed rules on buying games?

Post by duskvstweak »

I've only ever broken it like twice or so, but I very, very rarely buy a game that's not on sale. I'm still carving my way through older titles, so I can get away with it. If I was "caught up", I doubt that would be in place.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I don't remember the last time I bought a game that wasn't in a sale or found a physical copy cheap somewhere. In fact the vast majority of games I buy are £10 or under, and a lot on Switch have been even lower. I try not to buy games when I have a lot I've not even started, and am being really strict at the moment due to funds. Other than that, no real rules.

EDIT: Just realised, I've actually only bought one game on PS4 this year. Days Gone, and that was only £12!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

duskvstweak wrote: August 5th, 2020, 8:13 pm I've only ever broken it like twice or so, but I very, very rarely buy a game that's not on sale. I'm still carving my way through older titles, so I can get away with it. If I was "caught up", I doubt that would be in place.
Same here, on sale on second-hand. Unless I absolutely want to support the developers with my money, then I never buy day one.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 5th, 2020, 8:21 pm Yeah I don't remember the last time I bought a game that wasn't in a sale or found a physical copy cheap somewhere. In fact the vast majority of games I buy are £10 or under, and a lot on Switch have been even lower. I try not to buy games when I have a lot I've not even started, and am being really strict at the moment due to funds. Other than that, no real rules.

EDIT: Just realised, I've actually only bought one game on PS4 this year. Days Gone, and that was only £12!
That's some good restraint man :lol: My wallet hates me!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Heard a great quotable on the Watch Out For Fireballs podcast - "hype is costing you money." They were talking about how if you don't mind what you play next and you don't get swept up in the buildup for every big release, gaming can be very affordable. I try to only buy on sale as a rule.

I especially never buy AAA games at launch unless it's something I really can't wait for. The Last of Us Part II this year, last year Sekiro. And it is a good feeling to have a terrific experience like God of War 2018 having only spent RM32 on it (about 6 quid). I think the next thing I'd want to spring for at or near to launch is probably Hitman 3.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm not opposed to buying stuff day one or at full price within its launch period after reading reviews/reaction if it's something I'm really excited for or that reviews/reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. The last time the latter being the case was BoTW, having never only played Twilight Princess and not enjoying it prior to BoTW, it wasn't really on my radar. Then the reviews came out and I knew I had to buy it. The only other series I will buy day one are anything Rockstar or Rocksteady put out.

On all other ocassions I will only buy stuff on sale but Game Pass has meant I don't buy too many games these days either. Nothing I've seen for the launch period of the next gen consoles this year tickles my fancy so I'm going to show restraint and not buy the consoles until something I need comes out, in the mean time I have decided to work my way through all the PS4 exclusives I've missed (currently on Days Gone) which will take me a while and then start playing some management sims again like Parkitect and Planet Coaster until something I want on PS5 arrives.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Jon Cheetham wrote: August 6th, 2020, 3:54 am Heard a great quotable on the Watch Out For Fireballs podcast - "hype is costing you money." They were talking about how if you don't mind what you play next and you don't get swept up in the buildup for every big release, gaming can be very affordable. I try to only buy on sale as a rule.

I especially never buy AAA games at launch unless it's something I really can't wait for. The Last of Us Part II this year, last year Sekiro. And it is a good feeling to have a terrific experience like God of War 2018 having only spent RM32 on it (about 6 quid). I think the next thing I'd want to spring for at or near to launch is probably Hitman 3.
Agreed and as usual, the games are usually much more complete/patched , which generally gives the later adopters a more pleasurable experience.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:24 am I'm not opposed to buying stuff day one or at full price within its launch period after reading reviews/reaction if it's something I'm really excited for or that reviews/reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. The last time the latter being the case was BoTW, having never only played Twilight Princess and not enjoying it prior to BoTW, it wasn't really on my radar. Then the reviews came out and I knew I had to buy it. The only other series I will buy day one are anything Rockstar or Rocksteady put out.

On all other ocassions I will only buy stuff on sale but Game Pass has meant I don't buy too many games these days either. Nothing I've seen for the launch period of the next gen consoles this year tickles my fancy so I'm going to show restraint and not buy the consoles until something I need comes out, in the mean time I have decided to work my way through all the PS4 exclusives I've missed (currently on Days Gone) which will take me a while and then start playing some management sims again like Parkitect and Planet Coaster until something I want on PS5 arrives.
Game Pass still blows my mind. We'll probably never know, but I'd love to see how much money Microsoft actually makes from Game Pass. How they can release so many games on that service and still make some kind of profit at the end of the day, I will never know. I'll have to ask Ryan if he is willing to spill the beans. :lol:

I hear you with the PS4 exclusives, there are so many games I want to play (a few of them have come to PC like Death Stranding and Horizon: Zero Dawn). Near the release of the PS5, I will look into buying a PS4, as I'm sure I can find a cheaper one once people start selling off their systems to raise money for the PS5.
luke10123

Post by luke10123 »

HaloFandango wrote: August 5th, 2020, 3:28 pm I have to at least finish the games I currently own, before I buy any new games/systems.
I have like 600 games in my Steam library and an entire group of them in my library I've singled out that I want / need to play. Yet I still ignore them when something I've been looking forward to comes out.

But if I have a rule of my own, it's that I shouldn't pre-order. In the digital age, there's really no point and I hate feeling like a total sucker when a game is a let down or a technical mess and I'm stuck with it. The only exception is hard copies of Nintendo games, as they're always short printed and can be incredibly hard to get a hold of.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I have to be really excited about a game to get it day one - Resident Evil Village and Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection this year so far, Animal Crossing and Streets of Rage 4 last year, nothing I can think of the year before. Subjective, but I’m strict about it. Everything else goes on a wish list for a sale. And when I do it, I have to play it day one too! No sitting in cellophane for years!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I've ended up buying quite a few things at launch this year, because of how things have lined up. Hitman 3, Monster Hunter Rise, Resi Village. Fortunately they've all been worth it and shipped in very good shape. Capcom and IO are both at the top of their game, clearly.

I think not pre-ordering is a good rule of thumb, at least pre-ordering months out from release when you don't even know what you're buying. A few days before maybe, if the review embargo is up and you know what you're in for. Hopefully people have learned from Cyberpunk.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

My rule is now only buy top tier stuff that really appeals to me. I've spent/wasted/gambled a lot of time and money over the past gen on games that were almost certainly never going to appeal to me.

Outside of my preferred genres/series, my enjoyment rate is probably 5-10%. That's an awful waste of money, compounded by my digital-only approach (because I'm lazy). Very occasionally, something unexpected will make an impression but it's so rare, it's simply not worth it.

Over the last six months, I've hardly bought anything that I wasn't sure about, and I've enjoyed gaming a lot more. I just do it a bit less. If there's nothing new out I want to play, I just go back to stuff I love.

I have lots of unfinished games but I no longer feel any guilt or 'duty' to 'get my money's worth'. AC Valhalla, Ghost of Tsushima, that Ubi BotW rip-off, Days Gone, Spider-Man, fine to piss around for five hours or so but I subscribe to the old adage 'when you get the message, hang up the phone'. Umpteen visual novels I never get past the opening twenty minutes. 13 Sentinels, Shibuya Scramble, all that. Good stuff I'm sure but not my thing. I mostly feel the same about 'B tier Nintendo'. Luigi's Mansion, Captain Toad, Yoshi, Paper Mario, all perfectly decent but I don't enjoy the gameplay or feel charmed enough to be buying them full price any more. I've not played more than a few hours of each.

I'm very happy to replay the same five stages of Dodonpachi Daioujou until the next appealing game comes out.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

These last couple of years I decided unless I'm going to play it straight away I don't buy it.

Worked out pretty well so far; Gamepass also helps!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

So I recently signed up for the free trial of Boomerang game rentals and I think I'm going to stick with it. The tier I will be on is £10.99 a month which gets you any game (including new releases day one) one at a time, but there is a £14.99 top tier which gets you two games at any one time. There are cheaper subscriptions but they don't include new releases.
I have a couple of friends who have used it for the past couple of years and they have always got any new releases, even massively popular games like TLOU2 on day one. In fact one of them tweeted how they just got an email telling them the new Ratchet game is on its way.
It seems a pretty good deal to me if you're not fussed about owning the games like myself and allows you to enjoy new games you wouldn't pay full price for if they're slightly out your comfort zone.
I'm currently playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider through the service but have added Skyward Sword and Mario Golf, so all being well I should receive them the day they're released.
There will be some exceptions though, like I would still buy a game I will play for years like a new GTA or Rocksteady game.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

I've got three:

1. I don't spend more than $20 on digital games, so they pretty much have to be on sale for me to bite. I set this rule after being burnt taking a chance on a couple titles and realizing there's nothing I can do to recoup that cost. plus, spending basically the same amount of $$ I'd spend on a phyiscal title feels wrong when the expenses inherent to physical games (printing, distribution, etc.) don't apply to digital.

2. I only do physical games for Switch. true, they aren't cheap (especially when you're ordering from one of the boutique places that specialize in limited releases), but it automatically limits the range of titles available to me, which means I buy fewer games/don't amass a huge library, which means I can feasibly play everything I buy.

3. no Steam/Epic games. *see rule number 2 (i.e., impossible backlog)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I only have a self imposed ban on buying games right now because I just finished school, am poor and am looking for a job. I did cave and buy the SMT Nocturne remaster, but that was a special case.

Once I get a job I am going to go crazy because I have barely bought any games in the last year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My rule has gone out the window lately, I've picked up on Switch:

Firewatch
Ashen
Mr Driller
The Rainsdowne Players (1p!)

Mind you, that lot still came in under £20.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I don't have any rules, but I definitely should because I am terrible when it comes to impulse buying and stacking up unplayed games "for a rainy day". I am trying to limit myself a bit more.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

I don't really have any strict 'rules', but even back when we got our first real humble bundles, I realized games were so cheap, and I was gonna have more than I could ever play. That combined with the fact I've basically always played games that can't be finished(mmos, fighting games, mobas), I really only buy something after finishing my current game or if I want to support the devs. And even now there's charity bundles, EGS free offerings and free pscatalogue games.

This also helps in terms of price as I'm not buying it at full markup.

And when the stars align w/ c&r shows, that's a good excuse as well. So many other play alongs are so fast and as soon as the game comes out, which hasn't worked for me in the past, but having the entire year scheduled lets me plan accordingly.