Warframe 2021

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
Alex79

Warframe 2021

Post by Alex79 »

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but anyone fancy playing some Warframe?

I downloaded it on Switch again last night and played through the first couple of missions, and it seems solid so far. Just wondered if anyone fancied some co-op. Fairly sure it's cross play nowadays, too.

Not really sure why I downloaded it, but I just felt like some sci-fi shooting and this has hit the spot so far. I tried joining a mission with randoms but annoyingly the host has quit midway through both times, so I've just been playing solo after that. Would be cool to see if anyone else is playing on here though.

If you've tried it before and didn't like it, give it another shot. It's got better onboarding now, it seems. Better than when I tried it a couple of years ago. Still far too many systems to get your head around right from the off, but you can largely ignore a lot of it as far as I can tell.
ReprobateGamer

Re: Warframe 2021

Post by ReprobateGamer »

You can absolutely ignore the systems at the beginning and just potter from mission area to mission area - and it's probably for the best until you are confident in what your frame can do! Get to learn the basics of modding weapons and frames then start to investigate further options when you seem to hit power ceilings ...

Sadly the game does not yet feature cross play or even cross save (beyond PS4/5) - other than a one-time only option so my Xbox only account will be of no aid here.

It's a shame that you haven't had much luck on the open missions - the majority of missions I've run with randoms have been fine. Maybe something with the Switch users in your region (I wonder if you can change regions and try linking up with a different part of the world instead?)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: March 6th, 2021, 5:07 pm You can absolutely ignore the systems at the beginning and just potter from mission area to mission area - and it's probably for the best until you are confident in what your frame can do! Get to learn the basics of modding weapons and frames then start to investigate further options when you seem to hit power ceilings ...

Sadly the game does not yet feature cross play or even cross save (beyond PS4/5) - other than a one-time only option so my Xbox only account will be of no aid here.

It's a shame that you haven't had much luck on the open missions - the majority of missions I've run with randoms have been fine. Maybe something with the Switch users in your region (I wonder if you can change regions and try linking up with a different part of the world instead?)
That's a real shame there is no cross-play option. I'm interested in playing Warframe, since I'm a huge fan of the original Dark Sector. I'll definitely give the game a go at some point. @ReprobateGamer, I play on Xbox (GT: HaloFandango) too if you fancy a game of something. :D
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

HaloFandango wrote: May 7th, 2021, 4:42 am
ReprobateGamer wrote: March 6th, 2021, 5:07 pm You can absolutely ignore the systems at the beginning and just potter from mission area to mission area - and it's probably for the best until you are confident in what your frame can do! Get to learn the basics of modding weapons and frames then start to investigate further options when you seem to hit power ceilings ...

That's a real shame there is no cross-play option. I'm interested in playing Warframe, since I'm a huge fan of the original Dark Sector. I'll definitely give the game a go at some point. @ReprobateGamer, I play on Xbox (GT: HaloFandango) too if you fancy a game of something. :D
Thought I had already replied to this but I'd be up for a game or two on this - had to pause progress on my Railjack until I can either confirm a party to go in with me, or until I've unlocked past Pluto ...
Just ping me a friend invite whenever - to note I'm generally not available until after 11pm UK time most evenings other than the odd weekday lunchtime.
Open offer to anyone else interested in the game, or wanting a party to play alongside as well - this game does work a little better with more than one player at a time ...
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: May 9th, 2021, 7:32 pm
HaloFandango wrote: May 7th, 2021, 4:42 am

Thought I had already replied to this but I'd be up for a game or two on this - had to pause progress on my Railjack until I can either confirm a party to go in with me, or until I've unlocked past Pluto ...
Just ping me a friend invite whenever - to note I'm generally not available until after 11pm UK time most evenings other than the odd weekday lunchtime.
Open offer to anyone else interested in the game, or wanting a party to play alongside as well - this game does work a little better with more than one player at a time ...
Awesome, I pinged you a friend request and no sweat, whenever you are online! I'll install the game this week and give it a try. I was reading through the Warframe wiki and it is a great knowledge base, all of the Warframes look really cool. In terms of monetisation, from what i've heard the game isn't too egregious when it comes to that kind of thing and the only things that are good to buy are Warframe and weapon slots.

Anyway, very much looking forward to giving this a try. It would be a nice break from Apex Legends anyway :)
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

HaloFandango wrote: May 10th, 2021, 5:17 am
Awesome, I pinged you a friend request and no sweat, whenever you are online! I'll install the game this week and give it a try. I was reading through the Warframe wiki and it is a great knowledge base, all of the Warframes look really cool. In terms of monetisation, from what i've heard the game isn't too egregious when it comes to that kind of thing and the only things that are good to buy are Warframe and weapon slots.

Anyway, very much looking forward to giving this a try. It would be a nice break from Apex Legends anyway :)
That's true on the money - real cash equals platinum which can buy almost anything. However, you can also grind for everything in the game so platinum is best used for expanding slots for your choice of frame or weapons. Even weapons that cost plat in the store are likely to have a blueprint option for credits (earned in every mission) so you can source the raw materials and build it. But there's no way to get frame/weapon slots other than giveaways or purchase.

I've found that it's worth linking my Warframe account with Prime Gaming - I've had several frames for free (or at least whatever marketing database is going on with Prime Gaming ...) MS will sometimes put Warframe related goodies in it's reward program. And these will normally also gift a slot for the item.

Install and play away whenever works for you - I'm not certain if the opening tutorial level is open for group play in any case (It's been seriously revamped since I first played it!).

You get your choice of three frames at the beginning - Volt, Mag and Excalibur. In terms of playstyles, definitely pick which you will. But if resource management is a thing, then it's worth noting that Excalibur parts aren't available until much later into the star map ... while the other two are much more available (Volt for instance is one of the frames available if you join a clan ...)

Hope that helps and see you in the system soon!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: May 10th, 2021, 3:16 pm
HaloFandango wrote: May 10th, 2021, 5:17 am

That's true on the money - real cash equals platinum which can buy almost anything. However, you can also grind for everything in the game so platinum is best used for expanding slots for your choice of frame or weapons. Even weapons that cost plat in the store are likely to have a blueprint option for credits (earned in every mission) so you can source the raw materials and build it. But there's no way to get frame/weapon slots other than giveaways or purchase.

I've found that it's worth linking my Warframe account with Prime Gaming - I've had several frames for free (or at least whatever marketing database is going on with Prime Gaming ...) MS will sometimes put Warframe related goodies in it's reward program. And these will normally also gift a slot for the item.

Install and play away whenever works for you - I'm not certain if the opening tutorial level is open for group play in any case (It's been seriously revamped since I first played it!).

You get your choice of three frames at the beginning - Volt, Mag and Excalibur. In terms of playstyles, definitely pick which you will. But if resource management is a thing, then it's worth noting that Excalibur parts aren't available until much later into the star map ... while the other two are much more available (Volt for instance is one of the frames available if you join a clan ...)

Hope that helps and see you in the system soon!
Totally agree with everything you said above. The blueprints system is ingenious I think, as you can buy that instead (which is cheaper) and collect the necessary parts for it.

When crafting items in the Foundry, there is the long wait time, but I think you are plenty busy in the game (and real life too).

From what I have seen of the community, DigitalExtremes don't try and extract every last penny out of their playerbase. The community seem to actually want to buy Platinum just to support the game and the developers, which is almost unheard of. EA and Activision could certainly learn a thing or two.

I have been watching a Beginners Guide YouTube series by BBKDRAGOON on Warframe and I highly recommend it for people looking to get into the game.

When I was subscribed to GamePass, I actually received a few Warframe-related items through that! Now I'm just on Xbox Live Gold.

I want to do a few of the quests first on Earth first, just so I am familiar with the game and its systems.

Out of the 3 starting Frames, Mag looks the most fun for me. I love support characters and this Frame has the power of magnetism, which is so metal!

See you in the system and I am pretty excited to start playing!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Mag was my starting frame ... and still has the most play time of the eight or so frames that are in my collection.

I'm all self-taught so I wonder what I've missed - I think I'll be trying that series!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: May 11th, 2021, 5:47 pm Mag was my starting frame ... and still has the most play time of the eight or so frames that are in my collection.

I'm all self-taught so I wonder what I've missed - I think I'll be trying that series!
From my experience so far, Warframe is a good game to just experience and find things out for yourself. The Wiki is amazing, but I did accidentally spoil a few story things for myself.

I am currently re-constructing my ship at the moment.

I'm pretty bad at most games, hence why I chose the Mag, because it is more of a support Frame. What Frame are you currently using?

Even for a Beginner's Guide, it does go into a surprising amount of depth. The next Frame I was thinking of picking up was Nyx, due to her cool design and psychic powers, so I'll have to gather some credits together to buy her blueprints.

Going through the designs today, Warframe has so many cool Frames. They really want you to look amazing!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

I decided to pick up some Platinum as a way to support the developers and decided to buy Nyx's Frame and helmet accessory outright. I won't be spending any more money on the game in the near future, but just as a thank you to the developers for making a decent free-to-play AAA game!

My colour scheme could do with some work though ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not sure what frame I started with now, but I've put a few hours in to the Switch one. It's fun to dip in and out of now and then, and performance isn't bad, but the framerate does take an occasional hit when you're in a particularly large open area.

(Actually just checked, I chose Excalibur).
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Linked up with HaloFandango for an hour or two last night and was reminded how well Warframe balances things. Helped Halo through some of the earlier missions which gave me chance to level up a previously untouched frame (Nekros Prime for those taking notes) and some additional weapons. That the game procedurely generates maps using tilesets means that I recognise room layouts (to aid in movement) but never entirely know what route needs to be taken. Then we completed a bounty on the first open world space which meant we moved from the easy confined combat of the opening quest into a much more frenetic hunt across a mountainous tundra (possibly I had set the bounty level a little high for us both ...) with a spider tank resolutely tracking us down the whole time ...
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:26 pm I'm not sure what frame I started with now, but I've put a few hours in to the Switch one. It's fun to dip in and out of now and then, and performance isn't bad, but the framerate does take an occasional hit when you're in a particularly large open area.

(Actually just checked, I chose Excalibur).
I think Warframe is a perfect game for the Switch, given how long it takes on average to complete a mission. Glad you're having fun! Where abouts are you in the game so far? I have still yet to finish Earth and I got stuck on one mission trying to protect a Warframe pod, but damn - this game is so much fun!

I initially chose Mag and I was happy to put a little money in to support the game and I unlocked Nyx with Platinum. With the variety of Frames, there is at least one you'll like ;)

Re-subbed to Game Pass Ultimate, thanks to the still active Xbox Live Gold conversion deal Microsoft have going and also got the Warframe Jade pack.

It really is a shame there is no cross-play, even just between consoles. The consoles are pretty much always on version parity, so I can't really see why they wouldn't support it.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: May 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm Linked up with HaloFandango for an hour or two last night and was reminded how well Warframe balances things. Helped Halo through some of the earlier missions which gave me chance to level up a previously untouched frame (Nekros Prime for those taking notes) and some additional weapons. That the game procedurely generates maps using tilesets means that I recognise room layouts (to aid in movement) but never entirely know what route needs to be taken. Then we completed a bounty on the first open world space which meant we moved from the easy confined combat of the opening quest into a much more frenetic hunt across a mountainous tundra (possibly I had set the bounty level a little high for us both ...) with a spider tank resolutely tracking us down the whole time ...
Reprobate, that was so much fun! I'd love another session at some point soon! You seem like a lovely chap!

Ha ha, yeah that tank over on Cetus that just kept on following us. Thanks again for reviving my corpse so many times ;) The open world aspect of Warframe is excellent and I really want to unlock an Archwing to fly around in.

The procedural map generation is excellent and while I can tell in some areas that the map has had "Box A" placed here or "Weapon Cache C" placed there, it really does feel fresh every time.

I think more than anything, it is just the gameplay that keeps me coming back. That loop of ninjaring around, combat, loot, upgrades and story is just so well-crafted!