Our Patreon

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
Suits

Re: Our Patreon

Post by Suits »

Here we go.

I don’t disagree with him on this though, his initial statement anyway, sometimes I feel the conversations do go that way.

It just doesn’t bother me enough to get upset about it - not everything is designed 100% for me.

However, the public lambasting of people’s comments/feedback like that and mickey taking is pathetic I feel, you’ve gotta take the rough with the smooth.

It’s not always all Jesus juice and cupcakes, just privately acknowledge it and move on.

**braces for impact.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: May 31st, 2019, 2:44 pm It’s not always all Jesus juice and cupcakes, just privately acknowledge it and move on.
I hear you, but I think the working assumption here is that folks like this aren't honest actors and are using coded language tied to wider cultural issues that end up causing actual harm to people.

It can be a bit of a reach occasionally (and there are times when I think that people are a bit too quick to rush to some "Oh you said X that means you must be Y"-type of conclusion in general), but you have to look at it in context of the bigger picture, unfortunately.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Giving a 1 star review has a negative outcome on the podcasts iTunes ranking.

The review reads as a 3 star or even 4 star review but he gives 1 star suggesting he is so averse to the viewpoints of the team that he has to make this public declaration in a way that has an impact on the podcasts visibility on iTunes.

I do agree with being open to criticism but this was not a critique.

I don’t see the podcast as a social justice left wing podcast I see it as a video game podcast that addresses carefully all the facets of the games covered. This includes the political side and often the panel lean to varying degrees to the left.

I see your point about publicly satire regarding the review but he put himself in the public space by being a bit of a dick. If he’d said “I like the podcast but don’t necessarily enjoy all the politics that creeps in 3 stars or even 2 stars” we wouldn’t be here.

Sorry Suits. I’m not trying to go against what you said just offering my own thoughts.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 31st, 2019, 2:56 pm I hear you, but I think the working assumption here is that folks like this aren't honest actors and are using coded language tied to wider cultural issues that end up causing actual harm to people.
Yes, there is that and perhaps I’m putting to much trust in the individual for a honest opinion.

I’m aware that I’m flying rather close to the Sun on this, I don’t intend to shake the apple cart too much, I’m just…. I dunno, the whole public stocks thing doesn’t sit too right with me.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

My approach is this (and I mean mine, not CaR's as such), criticism of what we create is fine but if you use the terminology and wording of assholes to do so, then as far as I'm concerned you're fair game because you're aligning yourself with groups I hold absolutely nothing but utter contempt for.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree. Also, we didn’t @ the person responsible, and we absolutely weren’t advocating any sort of pile-on (we don’t even know if they exist on social media in fact).

We are always happy to receive and process legitimate criticism. The above review was (to use your word, Suits), “pathetic”, and - as far as we’re concerned - deserved to be treated accordingly.

It is impossible to have truly meaningful discourse about art or entertainment without a political element. Generally when people criticise their inclusion within discussion it’s because the views represented don’t align with their own.

Given that all we are broadly is - hardly radical - anti-xenophobia/racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia etc, what does that say for those people who don’t align with that? Not very good things in my opinion.
countstex

Post by countstex »

It's the part where they assume it will affect 'a large proportion of the listeners', how can one possibly know that. In fact, given they believe the content is skewed so much in the first place, it would be safer to assume the majority of subscribers adhere to the same ideologies otherwise they would just delete it an find another outlet. This whole idea of a 'silent majority' is always so annoying. If they were that bothered they wouldn't be silent.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m conscious that I’m fencing myself in here, or perhaps giving off a certain political angle or belief – honestly, I’m not. Or not trying to anyway.

I’m also not asking anyone to justify the reasons as to why the social media post was necessary. I’m not your papa.

Your responses are cool and seem perfectly justifiable when laid out like that, there’s context.

But from where I was browsing, here and on Twitter, it seemed pathetic calling out feedback like that. There’s no need.

It’s your field and ball lads, just saying I thought that was a foul - play on.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I can't comment on the twitter stuff as I'm not on there so I'll just say that 'SJW' is routinely used to belittle people who speak out against racism, homophobia, sexism etc - it really isn't a reasonable or fair way to critique the podcast or the people on it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: May 31st, 2019, 2:44 pm Here we go.

I don’t disagree with him on this though, his initial statement anyway, sometimes I feel the conversations do go that way.

It just doesn’t bother me enough to get upset about it - not everything is designed 100% for me.

However, the public lambasting of people’s comments/feedback like that and mickey taking is pathetic I feel, you’ve gotta take the rough with the smooth.

It’s not always all Jesus juice and cupcakes, just privately acknowledge it and move on.

**braces for impact.
I think an informed criticism on something is always worth hearing. If you're posting publicly, lambasting content on the grounds it's SJW then you deserve what you get. How fucked does your brain have to be to decide social justice is a bad thing. If you're going to be racist, homophobic or display any other sort of behaviour that stamps on others, then expect to be pulled up on it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: May 31st, 2019, 4:22 pm I’m conscious that I’m fencing myself in here, or perhaps giving off a certain political angle or belief – honestly, I’m not. Or not trying to anyway.

I’m also not asking anyone to justify the reasons as to why the social media post was necessary. I’m not your papa.

Your responses are cool and seem perfectly justifiable when laid out like that, there’s context.

But from where I was browsing, here and on Twitter, it seemed pathetic calling out feedback like that. There’s no need.

It’s your field and ball lads, just saying I thought that was a foul - play on.
You’re a super nice guy, anyone who frequents this forum can see that. Don’t worry about anyone making judgement (at least I’m not). I get what you’re saying about the tweet seeming a little surprising and perhaps ignoring it would have been an option.

However anyone who uses terminology affiliated with certain pockets of nastiness gets little sympathy from me if someone decides to quote them on twitter with a photo of a crying baby.
TheEmailer

Post by TheEmailer »

Stanshall wrote: May 30th, 2019, 9:35 am The best review is the 1-star 'this is an excellent podcast but the SJW leftie stuff will alienate a massive part of their audience'.

:D

'Must...not...enjoy...pinko...scum...podcast...for...the...sake...of...boner...culture...'
There's a real bubble some of these people live in, they really think the majority of gamers share their views. Don't realise how marginal they are, it's simultaneously depressing and amusing
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

True indeed.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

JaySevenZero wrote: May 31st, 2019, 1:48 pm
The thing is he called you guys out by name and used language constantly used to belittle people that will speak out against sexism, homophobia etc.

All you did was post exactly what he wrote and were even kind enough to keep him anonymous. You hardly sunk to his level at all. As far as retaliation goes I don't think you could have been any more minimal.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't have shown as much restraint if I was in your shoes. Anyone that uses the term SJW can go fuck themselves as far as I'm concerned.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's how we feel too.

It's not like we'd ever do something like that for actual, proper feedback/criticism.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah man, I missed the shout out for questions for the Patreon show this month, I had a couple I've thought of weeks ago! I'll save 'em for next month!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We didn’t do a shout out this month. Every time we do we get enough for two shows!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I already have a question for the June monthly after just listening to the May one which is has Jay bought an Xbox yet?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

The answer will most likely be a negative on that one
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

JaySevenZero wrote: May 31st, 2019, 1:48 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: May 30th, 2019, 9:54 am Yeah we love that one. We made a thing out of it on social media.
Yeah, I kept a copy of that.

The kind of person who would take the time to write a review like that must be so much fun at parties, eh?

Genuinely pitiable.