December 2017 minicast

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

December 2017 minicast

Post by JaySevenZero »

First off, a massive THANK YOU to all of our Patreon patrons and supporters.

We didn’t hit our ambitious target, but we still thrive on your support.

We knew it was a tall order and in the end we fell quite a way short of the amount we needed to go full time and produce twice the amount of podcasts in 2018. HOWEVER! We more than doubled our income which is just wonderful, and really incentivises us, as well as allowing us to keep on putting our maximum into continuing with this fabulous project.

The next 50 podcasts will be announced before the new year. Keep your eye on the website and our social media spaces. The whole team is thrilled about the 50 shows we have lined up for you in 2018, and we can’t wait to be able to share the schedule with you.

As a reward, from issue 301 onwards, backers will receive a link to download each Cane and Rinse podcast a week early. Issue 301 will be released on Monday 15th January for backers, Monday 22nd January for everyone else.

If you have any great ideas for other bonuses or incentives that we could offer to those who do back the show, please let us know via the Patreon page, the forum, Facebook or Twitter.

Don’t forget that you can also support the show by buying yourself a lovely Cane and Rinse or Sound of Play T-Shirt or bag from our Spreadshirt store. We net £2 to £3 from each purchase.

We intend to add some smaller items of merchandise that you can order directly from us in the New Year. Watch this space but look out for things like mugs and keyrings that will cost a little less per item than the bags and shirts, but will be equally well made and come adorned with our classy logo designs.

We will also be adding a PayPal button to the Cane and Rinse homepage, giving you lovely people another way of supporting our endeavours with a simple, one time payment with no further commitment or sign-up required.

Remember: The minimum donation remains at just $1 US per month – which is currently around 75p, or €0.85 – for an absolute minimum of 12 hours of quality podcasts per month.

We believe that’s great value for money, even if you don’t listen to every single show.

You may be aware that the terms and conditions of Patreon had been announced to change, but due to a swift and strong backlash, that decision has since been reversed.

Patrons will continue to pay what they pay, while the creators (i.e. us in this case) will continue to bear the brunt of Patreon’s admin fees and such – which is absolutely fine as far as we are concerned!

You will hear me refer to this matter in Cane and Rinse podcast issues 299 (Call of Duty) and 300 (The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine) as they were recorded in advance, but the matter has since been resolved.

The more financial support we get the more time and effort we can put into researching and producing the show, meaning that everyone ends up with a better experience.

Jay and I plan to check in with you all via monthly update mini-casts with all the latest from the world of Cane and Rinse from now on.

Thank you once again for your incredible support throughout our sixth year, and here’s to another twelve months of Cane and Rinse ahead.

Finally, as always, if you are not able or do not want to support Cane and Rinse, please consider a donation to the incredible charity Special Effect who work to put fun and inclusion back into the lives of people with physical disabilities by helping them to play videogames.
Alex79

Re: December 2017 update

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks for a fantastic year of entertainment, guys. Whether it's the podcasts or the forum, all the staff on this site put in a tremendous effort, and it is very much appreciated. Long may it continue!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Sorry to hear you didn't meet your targets, but that's great news that you've doubled the income. Hope it continues to grow...

A few of us were discussing how to reward Patreon backers on the TCGS Discord last week and it was an interesting debate. Some wanted physical incentives like merch, many more didn't. A few wanted special edition shows only they could download as a bonus, some felt that was unfair.

Personally, my view is that the show as it stands IS the reward for Patreon backers. Sure, others can download it without paying for it, but I don't care. I pay you a small amount each month purely because I value the show and the effort you go to, and find bonus shows or merch doesn't matter to me.

If you wanted to play to your brand's strengths and do a Patreon backed incentive, I'd consider shows that are a bit different to the usual Podcast so they don't interfere.

Maybe podcast editions that discuss a console rather than a game or a more in depth follow up to older shows, such as those initial ones you did with two games per podcast or shorter running times.

You could let Patreon backers have a say in the schedule perhaps? Let them create a short list which you choose from so that they feel a greater sense of involvement with the show. Or do a Community based Backer episode where members of the forum discuss games or soundtracks they love in a chaired environment; if it's not part of the professional releases but restricted to backers, then it won't cheapen your own output.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts. Divisive issue for some. For me, I'm just happy to donate to carry on getting what I already do. So thanks.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

seansthomas wrote: December 24th, 2017, 7:38 am If you wanted to play to your brand's strengths and do a Patreon backed incentive, I'd consider shows that are a bit different to the usual Podcast so they don't interfere.

Maybe podcast editions that discuss a console rather than a game or a more in depth follow up to older shows, such as those initial ones you did with two games per podcast or shorter running times.
Personally, I very much hope the C&R team can find a way to incentivise support that doesn't involve hard-locking episodes behind a paywall.

I think the current solution of giving patrons the opportunity to listen to each episode a week early is a good compromise that doesn't divide the community unnecessarily.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 24th, 2017, 10:20 am
seansthomas wrote: December 24th, 2017, 7:38 am If you wanted to play to your brand's strengths and do a Patreon backed incentive, I'd consider shows that are a bit different to the usual Podcast so they don't interfere.

Personally, I very much hope the C&R team can find a way to incentivise support that doesn't involve hard-locking episodes behind a paywall.

I think the current solution of giving patrons the opportunity to listen to each episode a week early is a good compromise that doesn't divide the community unnecessarily.
I agree. And I think they've said as much anyhow, possibly?

But if they were to do special episodes for the patrons like many podcasts do, that's why I reckon doing something very different, and tangential, to the main show is the way to do it that involves the Community more. Wouldn't want to detract, cheapen or spoil the main show's modus operandi.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

JaySevenZero wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 6:06 pm If you have any great ideas for other bonuses or incentives that we could offer to those who do back the show, please let us know via the Patreon page, the forum, Facebook or Twitter.
So, I've been thinking about this and seansthomas' suggestion... Why not resuscitate the Conversational format with a heavier focus on community interaction?

Reading through this thread, it looks as if you tried to get the project off the ground in the early days of Cane & Rinse, but it doesn't appear to have gone anywhere. Why not organize a special recording every month or every other month to talk about a specific topic with community members / backers?

Obviously, it would only appeal to a small portion of the community, but I think it would be a slightly more direct and engaging form of interaction than to simply post in the podcast threads and hope to be quoted in a future episode.

Backers would be given priority seating when recording, but the conversationals themselves would be available for everyone to listen to later on. Win/win?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Certainly worthy of further discussion, thanks CR.