February 2019

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

February 2019

Post by JaySevenZero »

Hey there kindly Patrons, it's that time again where we, as in Leon & Jay, chat about the kind of random stuff we don't usually cover in the regular podcasts along with trying to answer the questions you good folks left us recently (don't worry if we didn't get around to your question, we'll carry it over into next months poddy instead). Anyway, here you are - enjoy!

February 2019 podcast
Alex79

Re: February 2019

Post by Alex79 »

Listening now on the way to work and cracking up at Leon reading the Nier Automota post.

For what it's worth I think the format works great as is. I think you'd lose something by trying to remain spoiler free. If I'm worried about spoilers I always save listening until I've finished the game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

He has a torrent thing going on.

Actually I’m not sure he was right about that anyway; I’m certain he went to see The Force Awakens, if not Rogue One and Last Jedi.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

As a rule I listen to Cane and rinse shows for games I have finished and then listen to shows for games I either have no interest in finishing or playing so do not mind spoiling. The rest are games that I will play so will not want to spoil.

Current example being Nier Automata so I did appreciate the lack of spoilers
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Cinema tickets vary wildly from £4-5 at some small independents up to £25 in central London.

I would guess average is similar to yours, £10-15.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think the earlier shows, where a lot more was discussed about the actual stories in games, had a lot more spoilers. The last couple of years have been relatively spoiler free, aside from where talking about the story is really integral to the discussion.

Re: cinemas, I saw Dunkirk at the cinema, but the last film before that was The Dark Knight Rises. I very, very rarely go. I just don't enjoy it that much. I prefer to watch films at home.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I very much think you should keep the show as is regarding spoilers, for a few reasons:

1. You're never going to please everyone as the definition as to what even constitutes a spoiler varies greatly from person to person. Some people might consider discussions of skill upgrades or unlocks or explanations of particular gameplay tactics or techniques a spoiler. Even if you have a 'spoiler free' section of the show, you'll no doubt still get complaints about giving stuff away.

2. The whole point of the show is its a deep dive into the specifics of one particular game. I would guess that most people listening to a given episode will have played the game in question, and breaking the show into sections would risk disrupting the format and flow for regular listeners.

3. A lot of people (myself included) don't really care about story or plot in videogames and consider them to be largely incidental anyway.

RE: Cinemas - it's still by far my favourite way to watch a film. Watching a film at home is fine and all, but I'm far more prone to distraction and I don't feel anything like the same level of immersion. I'm also really fond of going to see big blockbusters on opening night. For example The Force Awakens - on reflection, a pretty mediocre movie, but the experience of seeing it in a sold out, opening night theater, loads of kids and families in Star Wars costumes, a whooping, cheering crowd fully into it and an electric atmosphere was really special. While I would frown on someone chatting excessively or texting during a film, I'm not the kind of person who expects and demands total silence from an audience, as I consider it a communal experience.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I tend to do midnight Imax for anything Batman or Star Wars (still not seen Solo thanks to The Last Jedi well I won't go into that :lol: )

We have an Everyman cinema where I live which I enjoy as a night out with the Mrs. Probably £30 a couple before food.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Whatever you think of either, Solo is a very different movie to The Last Jedi.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Solo feels more like Indiana Jones than Star Wars. It’s pure popcorn cinema entertainment and I would say it pretty much ticks all the boxes without setting the world alight. Very different to Last Jedi which was pretty marmite.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 5th, 2019, 7:23 pm Whatever you think of either, Solo is a very different movie to The Last Jedi.
I will watch it I think you mentioned what put me off ie it explaining everything about him (name, meeting Cheque etc)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just wish they'd get on with the new Indiana Jones film. I know the last one wasn't as good as the others, but it was still genuinely enjoyable, and it was Indiana Jones FFS!

I do think they've missed the cut off with Ford, though. I mean the guy is almost 80. I think it'll need to be a kind of handing the baton over type affair. I could get behind that, if they picked a worthy successor. I wonder if Alden Ehrenreich is busy, that would be quite amusing...
Suits

Post by Suits »

A gritty re-boot would be rad.

All dark and nasty, kind of like Raiders, less humorous.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah I meant to ask, are you allowed to tell us what this paid podcast work you're doing is, Leon?
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I'll just echo the rest on spoilers. I think that if you try to spend, say, the first hour spoiler-free, you risk damaging the flow of conversation as you all try to dance around spoilers.

On cinemas, I like going to one of the more 'arthouse' cinemas in Dublin every month or two. Tickets are about €10-12. And to tie back into the podcast, that's where I saw Mirai, the one Oscar best animation nominee* that Jay didn't see. I found it enjoyable but nothing spectacular. I was a bit surprised when it got nominated.

(*The only other one I saw was Spiderverse, which I loved.)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:36 pm Oh yeah I meant to ask, are you allowed to tell us what this paid podcast work you're doing is, Leon?
I can say that I’m contracted by a Brighton e-learning company to host a series of podcasts for a large corporate client.

It’s nothing that will be available externally, or indeed of any interest externally!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can see that working - audiobooks next!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've been a bit behind on my podcasts, so I only got around to listen to this one today. It was a very nice touch to blur out the Nier Automata spoilers in the correspondence. That and the general amount of praise directed at the game around these parts have convinced me to give it another shot and put it right next on the list. Thanks for being considerate, guys. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No problem, it’s something we will continue to bear in mind.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

I agree with everyone else here. The way spoilers are handled on this show are just right and if there is a game that is covered that you have not yet but plan to try out in the future just skip the episode and return to it when you have finally gotten the chance to have really dug into whatever game the podcast is discussing. I have not played Gravity Rush 2 yet but will get to it sooner or later and will appreciate the episode more when I finally get around to playing it. Not to mention, some of the strongest episodes of C&R are those that fully dissect games with strong themes or plots such as Nier Automata or Bioshock Infinite. These episodes would not be as good if there was a artificial divide between spoilers and non-spoilers. Would just mess with the analytical yet conversational tone that makes this podcast such a joy to listen to.

Also delighted that you two expressed your distaste for the word 'woke'. It is a term that has always reeked of smug self righteousness, similar to conspiracy theorists lecturing the "sheeple' to wake up from their brainwashing. Godawful terminology.