November 2019 monthly

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

November 2019 monthly

Post by JaySevenZero »

Your latest exclusive monthly podcast was brought to you this month by Caribou Poutine, Bundobust, Netflix, Kojima Productions and PirateBay*

*Not really, but you'll understand when you listen to it!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/exclusive-for-32171822
Suits

Re: November 2019 monthly

Post by Suits »

6:30AM.

Driving to work.

Wanting nothing but fried halloumi and fried ladies fingers.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Removing an entire panellist for the free version of the Metal Gear Solid V podcast is a subterfuge leading to twist reveal for new Patreon backers worthy of a Kohima game itself.

“Jay was here the whole time? :o
Suits

Post by Suits »

Jay did leave himself in for a few sentences though - I remember hearing him and thinking he must have edited himself in.

Never occurred to me that he Actually edited himself out 😄.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Did he? Ha, I didn’t listen to the cut version!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 10th, 2019, 3:20 pm Did he? Ha, I didn’t listen to the cut version!
Yeah, I’ve still not sorted out my podcast tracking issue (used the Patreon app for the monthly chat) and listened to the edited Metal Gear episode on iTunes and I remember hearing Jay for a few sentences - but then not agin and thought it was odd.

Hearing the monthly chat this morning made that make sense.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Be interested to know what bit in Death Stranding got you Jay. Spot on description of it by the way
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

DomsBeard wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:19 pm Be interested to know what bit in Death Stranding got you Jay. Spot on description of it by the way
Spoiler: show
Mama *snip* *snip*
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

I always enjoy these episodes and tend to listen to them the day they pop up.

It's interesting to her your thoughts on the Patreon stuff. Personally I think the people that complain about podcasts being locked behind a paywall are just entitled tossers who think they should get everything for free. With the amount of content you are already putting out for free I think it's only fair that you start asking for some money at some point. The only people that will complain about it are people who were never going to pay into the Patreon anyway so you won't be losing them. Anyone that already pays will be glad to get something else for their money and you may turn a few people toward the Patreon with the extra content so it's only a win/win situation really.

The problem with having only 1 tier at $1 is that people (not everyone) will only want to pay the minimum they get away with. "Why should I pay more when I can pay only the $1 and get the same as everyone else?" Where as if the minimum was $2 which really is still not much money you would probably still have the same amount of Patreons (admittedly maybe losing the couple of overly entitled people mentioned before) but be doubling your money other than that.

I've been a patron since the start of the year. The early episodes don't really do anything for me but I happily paid the $1 per month for the extended episodes and happily continue to for the monthly episodes too. A few months ago when Leon was talking about the Patreon stuff in the forum I decided to up my contribution to $2 per month. Now I didn't have to and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't for no extra content but seeing how much hard work and time you actually put in I think you deserve more than just the $1 per month. The one problem I have is probably one that a few other people will have too and that is that I don't listen to every one of your episodes. I only listens to episodes on games I have played or atleast have a passing interest in. This can leave me with months where I don't actually listen to any of the main episodes, only the monthly. Now that's fine, I've never stopped my contribution, but I think $2 is the right balance for what I am actually getting out of it. If I was listening to every single one of your episodes I would definitely pay more.

Sorry this was only supposed to be a short post...

Keep up the good work!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks FP, appreciate it!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

As you know I agree.

I like the idea to extend the patreon restriction to 4 weeks.

How easy would it be to tier it so 1 dollar gets it a 2 weeks early and 2 dollars a 4 weeks etc. If patreon do all the backend stuff it might be straightforward.

Apologies for banging on about this but I want you all to get your acknowledgement and reward for your fine work. I’m just sorry I can’t contribute more.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A staggered release for different tiers would be possible I think, but all the extra admin and promotion work would likely eclipse any financial gain!
FemalePheromones

That is true but rather than doing it at 2 weeks and 4 weeks you could have the bottom tier release at the same time as the wide release but as the extended version.

So for instance $1 a month gets you a longer episode but not any earlier. $2 a month gets the longer episode but also 4 weeks earlier. This way it wouldn't require extra admin work for the $1 release as it would he at the same time so you could include all the info in one post/tweet/whatever eg. "Issue X is now available everywhere with an unedited version available for (Patreon tier name here) Patreon supporters for only $1 per month etc..."

The only problem you may have is that I think Patreon doesn't plan for different tiers to get access to the same content at different times, it expects higher tiers to get extra content rather the same content earlier. This means that for anyone on the $2 tier in this instance they would get the episode 4 weeks early as normal but then 4 weeks later it will appear in their feed again when it goes live for the $1 tier. I can't see anyone enjoying everything showing up in their feed twice.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Or 4 weeks early for all Patrons but the longer edit for those at 2 dollars.
FemalePheromones

It would still mean the higher tier get both episodes in their feed. Both will show up at the same time and then it means they have to check the lengths of both to know which to listen to.

I may be completely wrong but I am fairly sure that's how Patreon works.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It sounds like more trouble than it's worth! You could always set the minimum a little higher. I'd be surprised if many people cancelled. Even just $3 a month is ridiculous value for money considering the time and effort put in both hosting and behind the scenes.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It’s such a rock and a hard place.

Many times the team have said that they’d rather have 1000 $1 subscribers than 500 €2 subscribers.

The problem is that Patreon beneficiary’s are moving forward and most new start ups, begin at $2.

The content that this house puts out, the quality it maintains and the general interaction it encourages most certainly deserves an inflated amount than the minimal $1.

It’s very hard but I think that in 2020 a 1$ pledge is literally the same as 2$, and if it’s not, then why are you even considering donating your spare change anyway, you’d probably be better off investing it in something more personal.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You could add the conversationals in and give the patrons a vote on what they'd be about. That way you'd have control over what it would be and lock it behind either a higher patreon level for an exclusive period or encourage non patrons to jump in earlier.

Is there a way you could do a survey and ask your subscribers what would make them join your patreon?.

I guess it's about finding what would give someone on the fence that final nudge to come on board. There will be a percentage that will never but it could be interesting but it is just finding what would get them in.

To give you an example The Computer Game Show would've gotten me as a patreon had they done their life is strange 2 show behind a patreon level for a period. Maybe you and Jay should do a Star Wars show if you hit a stretch goal ;)

Another couple of ideas:

$10 a month patreon gets their own sound of play either appearing on or not.

Shows about more gaming stuff here and now eg a Stadia initial thoughts round up or multiplayer initial reactions. One of greatest strengths is waiting a set time before doing a game so it is finding something consumable here and now for the people who WANT IT NOW :lol:
FemalePheromones

The thing with the $10 a month idea is how many months do they have to be a supporter until they get the pay off? Say it's 3 consecutive months then it's actually $30 they will have to pay which will be offputting. However if it is just 1 month you risk them cancelling straight after and you just end up with the odd random one off $10 payments which you can't predict or track.

Another thing is I personally listen to quite a few different podcasts but I only patronise Cane and Rinse. As I am already giving one podcast money I really feel like I can't for any others. I assume this will be a problem with a lot of people, if they are already patronising another podcast they may not want to pay out to another as well.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I suppose you have to view it like a magazine in that certain people subscribe long term and then some people dip in for the odd episode. I suspect it makes tracking your income more difficult but in many cases you only have to be a patreon for one month to access to the entire back catalogue of patron only stuff so very easy for someone to subscribe once only to get locked stuff then leave immediately.

I cancelled a magazine subscription and transferred that to Cane and Rinse as that’s how I view it.

I think Leon and Jay have probably talked about this at length but it’s nice to know that we handful of patrons are encouraging them.

* what about 1 pound rather than 1 dollar? It’s still one right? 😆