August 2021

Here's where you can leave us any comments, questions and feedback for our exclusive Patreon feed podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

August 2021

Post by JaySevenZero »

So what did we talk about this month? To be honest, we're writing this after mainlining several cups of strong coffee and a large bag of Haribo and as such trying to make a modicum of sense whilst simultaneously fending off the desire to do backflips naked down the street so you're just going to have to listen for yourselves to find out.

Pretty sure there's a bit about sectarian potato snacks though.

https://www.patreon.com/caneandrinse
OldPec

Re: July 2021

Post by OldPec »

Are the Leon sauces really not from the UK?
My bottles say made in the UK.....
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You're quite right, my mistake.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm currently isolating at home following a positive Covid test on Friday last week, and generally feeling like absolute shit (glad I had the vaccine as I can only imagine how much worse it'd be otherwise), but I was listening to this show whilst drifting in and out of sleep yesterday and all of a sudden I could hear Leon reading out a story about a kitchen catching on fire which sounded eerily similar to something that happened to me as a kid. Thing is, I'd forgotten I'd written about it on the Patreon site last month, and so I started thinking I was having some sort of weird fever dream where Leon had managed to get inside my head and read my thoughts out on the podcast. It was a weird few moments until I remembered what was going on...

EDIT: I'm talking about the August show, not the July one.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:lol:

Get well soon, Alex.
OldPec

Post by OldPec »

Hope you get well soon Alex!

Glad to hear the Leon sauces really are from the UK, I had told my old man about them and he hasn't quite been the same since HP sauce production moved to the Netherlands and I'm not sure he could take another sauce related blow.
Kasuga-san

Re: August 2021

Post by Kasuga-san »

The discussion about your university experience in the art department brought back memories of my band director. He and most of the people in the music department treated any music that wasn't classical, jazz, or modern symphonic music that wasn't for film as lesser and not real art. To his credit, he did at least show some curiosity in hearing various artists his students were into, but inevitably he would trash it. On the opposite end was the English department where all of my professors enjoyed mixing classical works with modern regularly in classes. They were ahead of the curve in using graphic novels in their curriculum and were always open to discussing students' ideas even if in retrospect our ideas were.... well, not as well thought out as they should have been.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Kasuga-san wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:45 pm ...They were ahead of the curve in using graphic novels in their curriculum and were always open to discussing students' ideas even if in retrospect our ideas were.... well, not as well thought out as they should have been.
Oh that's interesting, I don't suppose you can remember which graphic novels thay used? I ask this as it's my humble opinion that Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira should be a requirement in every school library, if only because it's a bloody masterpiece! :)
Kasuga-san

Post by Kasuga-san »

The only one I remember off the top of my head (it's been over 20 years now) was Maus, which I think was widely accepted by the lit community earlier than some of the others. Maybe Watchmen? I'm not entirely sure. I know that none of the classical Japanese graphic novels were used. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get a hard copy of Akira, though.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Kasuga-san wrote: September 13th, 2021, 10:11 pm The only one I remember off the top of my head (it's been over 20 years now) was Maus, which I think was widely accepted by the lit community earlier than some of the others. Maybe Watchmen? I'm not entirely sure. I know that none of the classical Japanese graphic novels were used. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get a hard copy of Akira, though.
Ah yeah, Maus would make sense given the subject matter and that it also won a pulitzer prize (still the only comic outside of the ones given to editorial cartooning to do so as far as I'm aware).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've thought for a while that Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi ought to be on the curriculum, too. As culturally significant as Maus, I feel, it covers the true story of a young girl growing up in revolution era Iran, and the aftermath of that. Well worth a read.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 8:54 am I've thought for a while that Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi ought to be on the curriculum, too. As culturally significant as Maus, I feel, it covers the true story of a young girl growing up in revolution era Iran, and the aftermath of that. Well worth a read.
The animated feature version of Persepolis is well worth checking out too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I didn't know it existed! Will check that out, thanks :)