A look back at 2017

Archive for issues 301 - 350
JaySevenZero
Admin

A look back at 2017

Post by JaySevenZero » January 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

The entire Cane and Rinse team takes an epic look back at 2017 to reflect on all of the games that released that year that they had the opportunity to play. These are fresh opinions and not the thorough, historical perspective that the team usually takes, but consider this a sampling plate of some our favourite (and sometimes least favourite) 2017 games!

A Look Back at 2017 was edited by Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins)

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

KSubzero1000

Re: A look back at 2017

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 9th, 2018, 11:14 am

Eleven hours? Wow, that must have been grueling to edit. Hats off!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 9th, 2018, 1:21 pm

We bought Ryan a game he wanted with the Patreon money as thanks for this and his SoP medley.
:)

Suits

Post by Suits » January 9th, 2018, 1:34 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
January 9th, 2018, 1:21 pm
We bought Ryan a game he wanted with the Patreon money as thanks for this and his SoP medley.
:)
Excellent.

I'm up to date with my podcasts, so I listened to that again this morning on the way into work.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » January 11th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I am about a third of the way through. As someone who for one reason or another missed out on the majority of new games in 2017, this is a wonderful round up. GOTY shows are fairly useless because I already know all about the 20-odd games that rotate among those. I'm hearing about so many interesting oddities this way.

Plus it's nice to hear the full crew chat generally about the industry, the consoles and their personal tastes. Lovely stuff.

On to the next third...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » January 14th, 2018, 2:01 pm

I'm chipping away at this gradually over time. Just under halfway through so far. Good stuff, of course. Couple things that have stood out to me so far.

It seems I have a bit of a different perspective on Hellblade to a lot of people. I absolutely adore the game, for the same reason as most others, but there's still a few things I'm hearing about it that I didn't expect. Not just in this podcast, but other places too, I found myself kind of surprised to hear people compare it to the "walking simulator" type thing. It's something that I never even considered about the game until hearing it being brought up lately. I suppose I can see where people are coming from with that in hindsight, but I find it strange it's something I didn't even think about while playing it. It seems I'm also perhaps in a minority in liking the combat. Although there was some praise for it calling out how "visceral" it is, and that's definitely true. It has a great feel to it. I think I can see why you might call it one of the weaker parts of the game, and it's true it's far from the deepest system, but still, I found it tense and exciting. Quite claustrophobic, but without feeling clumsy or fiddly. But in a way I can see how both of those perspectives are talking about the same thing, and how it's even a very similar experience. It's just I enjoyed it, while I guess others didn't. Although lately I've been thinking about how underappreciated the feel of combat is in quite a few games. The topic has come up lately with Nier Automata, and I think people aren't giving that game credit for its combat either. Both that and Hellblade are very fluid and satisfying to control, the feeling of impact is brilliant, and with Automata at least, there is scope in there for a lot of interesting moments and player creativity. There are games out there that get praised for their combat, or at the very least avoid the same criticisms, despite being just as or more simple, while also lacking that fantastic game feel too.

And I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with your appraisal of Splatoon. It sounds like you were coming from it at the wrong angle and didn't really see what the game had to offer. In neither game was the single player really a focus. While I think they're both pretty inventive and interesting, the first game is more so. But that's only really because the second retreads a lot of ground. It's still good, but most of it was done first time round. But even still, in both games the single player is way more of an afterthought than anything else. A little bonus that has some fun ideas, but isn't really the reason to pick up the game. It also sounds like you didn't get in to the ranked modes at all. There's definitely way more to the game in those modes than there is in Turf War. There's a much higher ceiling, and room for different strategies that evolve as you climb up the ranks. It takes way more than just 10 hours of messing around in Turf War to see what potential there is in there. It's so much better that I rarely even play Turf War outside of Splatfests. Also, the Aerospray, which was the weapon you forgot the name of, is kind of an easy and boring weapon to use. It's good at getting a lot of points in Turf War, but that's basically it. Another reason why I tend to avoid that mode, is because it's full of weapons like that. You'll see a much better variety in the ranked modes, as there's much more reason to mix up your strategy depending on the map or mode. But you're not going to see that if you just go in for the limited single player, or give up on mutliplayer after playing a bit of the simplest mode with the easiest weapon.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » January 15th, 2018, 8:20 am

Scrustle wrote:
January 14th, 2018, 2:01 pm
It seems I'm also perhaps in a minority in liking the combat. Although there was some praise for it calling out how "visceral" it is, and that's definitely true. It has a great feel to it. I think I can see why you might call it one of the weaker parts of the game, and it's true it's far from the deepest system, but still, I found it tense and exciting. Quite claustrophobic, but without feeling clumsy or fiddly. But in a way I can see how both of those perspectives are talking about the same thing, and how it's even a very similar experience. It's just I enjoyed it, while I guess others didn't. Although lately I've been thinking about how underappreciated the feel of combat is in quite a few games. The topic has come up lately with Nier Automata, and I think people aren't giving that game credit for its combat either. Both that and Hellblade are very fluid and satisfying to control, the feeling of impact is brilliant, and with Automata at least, there is scope in there for a lot of interesting moments and player creativity. There are games out there that get praised for their combat, or at the very least avoid the same criticisms, despite being just as or more simple, while also lacking that fantastic game feel too.
Yeah, sorry if that didn't come across clearly in what we said, but *I* quite like the combat. We tried to keep it more brief, as opposed to regular shows, but Hellblade is getting proper full coverage this year.

As you play, slowly, a few more layers are introduced to the combat as well and I like the positioning adjustments you have to make, once more than one enemy enters the fray. The camera perspective and the strong locked on one-on-one feel suggests they'll politely await their turn, but they don't, so you'll actually have to circle around them and dodge to make sure you're not caught in the middle.

Speaking of combat that feels impactful, Transformers: Devastation might just be the game that stands above all others in that regard, of all the beat 'em ups / games with melee combat systems I've played. Seek it out if you haven't already, if you like that sort of thing!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 9:41 am

Michiel K wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 8:20 am
Speaking of combat that feels impactful, Transformers: Devastation might just be the game that stands above all others in that regard, of all the beat 'em ups / games with melee combat systems I've played. Seek it out if you haven't already, if you like that sort of thing!
I'll just leave this here:

PS: Hahaha, guess who I found while scrolling down in the comments? I swear this wasn't intentional! :lol:

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » January 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Michiel K wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 8:20 am

I have played that, and it is absolutely one of the best example out there for this. I still think Metal Gear Rising has it beat (it's hard to think of a more satisfying thing in games than the Zandatsu), but Transformers is still really great.

It's a real shame that the game is going to be much harder to come across now, with it being de-listed from digital storefronts everywhere. At least there are still PS4 physical copies out there for people to pick up.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » January 15th, 2018, 1:13 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 9:41 am
PS: Hahaha, guess who I found while scrolling down in the comments? I swear this wasn't intentional! :lol:
Yyyup! :lol:
Scrustle wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm
It's a real shame that the game is going to be much harder to come across now, with it being de-listed from digital storefronts everywhere. At least there are still PS4 physical copies out there for people to pick up.
Yeah, there should still be plenty physical copies lying around.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 15th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Scrustle wrote:
January 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Wow I must be living under a rock, because I had absolutely no idea the game had been de-listed! Thankfully, my PS4 digital copy still works.

Maybe I'll grab a cheap physical copy one day, just to be safe.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » January 16th, 2018, 9:10 am

I’m coming up to the close of this behemoth of a pod cast and have loved it. One bad thing now is I am having some serious Switch envy. I really want one now but need a new TV too!!

kintaris

Post by kintaris » January 16th, 2018, 11:09 am

Bakers_12 wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 9:10 am
I’m coming up to the close of this behemoth of a pod cast and have loved it. One bad thing now is I am having some serious Switch envy. I really want one now but need a new TV too!!
Oh I'm absolutely with you on the Switch. It's getting ridiculous!

I'm down to the final quarter. Loved it so far and always great to hear from the whole crew.

One thing I would say re: AC Origins - a lot of people (not just Tony) have said how the game looks muddy on the Xbox but spectacular on the X. Obviously it's a matter of perspective but as someone without an X, I have to say it still looks absolutely stunning on the base machine - possibly the prettiest open world on the platform.

Same with BotW on Wii U, although generally people seem to agree that the art direction in that game transcends generational barriers.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » January 16th, 2018, 6:30 pm

I'm still listening through this podcast, and have yet to finish it, but I just had to say something about the chat on Forza and sim racers. Finally!!! Someone who gets it! That was good to hear.

For years I've always been annoyed at the whole tired arguments of sims being boring and "sterile", and always thought it was down to exactly the kind of thing that was discussed on the podcast. People don't know what they're talking about! They just stick the game on the easiest difficulty, have the car mostly drive itself, and then say the game has nothing to it. The whole character of these games comes alive when you turn off the assists. That's what you're supposed to do!

Although to be honest, I have to say that I've actually started going off these games myself. It's been a while since I really felt that strongly about the topic, and even as a long time Forza advocate, I didn't pick up FM7. Partially because of all the negative stuff that was spread around (although it is totally true microtransactions will be coming to the game, if they haven't already, haven't kept check), but also because the Horizon games started looking a lot more fresh and appealing. Additionally Forza has lost the license for Toyota, meaning they lost a lot of my favourite cars. The lack of a Supra is a massive sticking point for me.

But I do have some questions about FM7, if I was to consider picking it up after all. Part of the negative stuff I heard about the game was that it included some strange restrictions on how you could upgrade your car. Not just limiting you to what cars you can use in the career mode, but also not allowing you to use upgraded/customised cars in career events. Or that those restrictions were also part of other modes too. What exactly is the situation around that? A big part of why I like these games is upgrading a car to my liking, so I can have a sense of ownership over it, as well as making it competitive in certain types of events. Not exactly just maxing it out to be faster than everything else though.

Also I guess I should apologise for never being able to remember who is talking in these podcasts. I should really have no excuse after all these years, but I still find it hard to put a name to a voice without seeing their face. The fact that people tend to use their real names on the podcast, but different usernames on the forums adds more confusion to things too.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » January 17th, 2018, 11:48 am

Spoiler: show
DangelBerrie Z!
Tied with the TCGS GOTY show as my favourite 2017 end-of-year special. I hope you take that as very high praise!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 17th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Thank you folks, glad the team’s efforts have been so appreciated!

InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins » January 20th, 2018, 6:05 pm

kintaris wrote:
January 17th, 2018, 11:48 am
Spoiler: show
DangelBerrie Z!
Tied with the TCGS GOTY show as my favourite 2017 end-of-year special. I hope you take that as very high praise!
A very good creative spelling on this one :!: